Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - hard rock spacing sequel

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Which, coincidentally, is why I give streamers and 'reviewers' zero credibility. They're paid off shills.
Streamers usually are indeed. Many ask developers to pay them a sum which depends on their number of viewers to stream their game.
They don't do that for all of their streams (because they also need to keep their viewers interested), but as a viewer, you cannot tell whether the streamer has been paid or not for streaming a game.
The good thing is that it is seldom worth it from a developer point of view (in expected short term ROI. It may make sense in the long run to establish your brand, but that is only useful if you survive making several games).

ArchAngel

Arcane
Which, coincidentally, is why I give streamers and 'reviewers' zero credibility. They're paid off shills.
Streamers usually are indeed. Many ask developers to pay them a sum which depends on their number of viewers to stream their game.
They don't do that for all of their streams (because they also need to keep their viewers interested), but as a viewer, you cannot tell whether the streamer has been paid or not for streaming a game.
The good thing is that it is seldom worth it from a developer point of view (in expected short term ROI. It may make sense in the long run to establish your brand, but that is only useful if you survive making several games).
Many streamers pride themselves on not doing that and if it is a sponsored stream they note that in the stream description.

Drakron

Arcane
Many streamers pride themselves on not doing that and if it is a sponsored stream they note that in the stream description.

That is because paid endorsements have to be disclosed as being such, according to FTC guidelines, endorsements have to be disclosed. The commission defines endorsements as “any advertising message that consumers are likely to believe reflects the opinions, beliefs, findings, or experiences of a party other than the sponsoring advertiser” (§255.0 b).

Streamers have already fallen into the same trap as legacy gaming media - their relevance (aka shekels) depends on being first-to-market with an opinion of a game, and being first means getting some kind of preferential treatment from the developer/publisher. This means shilling.

It's an inherently promiscuous relationship and makes it impossible to relay an objective opinion.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's an inherently promiscuous relationship and makes it impossible to relay an impartial, objective opinion.

Yeah, but the "advantage" streamers have is the fact they're showing you raw gameplay. So no matter what their shpeel is the game is speaking for itself in the background versus edited videos where you can hide issues and present whatever narrative you want.

Doma

Augur
Whats the problem with it being on Epic?

It is not like with Netflix and such where you have to pay 15 bucks for a new streaming platform and suddenly you are up to $100+ a month.

Its just a program on the computer.

Right now I have Steam, GOG, Blizzard and Origin. I manage just fine believe it or not.

I remember when each game came on its on floppy disk in a box. This digital distribution thing is pretty neat.

So what if the Launcher is not as good. If an 2-man outfit like Double Damage can get a little bit more profit for their game by not giving it to Gabe like everyone else, I dont mind.

My computer can handle another program...

Codex Year of the Donut

It is not like with Netflix and such where you have to pay 15 bucks for a new streaming platform and suddenly you are up to $100+ a month.

Its just a program on the computer.

Right now I have Steam, GOG, Blizzard and Origin. I manage just fine believe it or not.

I remember when each game came on its on floppy disk in a box. This digital distribution thing is pretty neat.

So what if the Launcher is not as good. If an 2-man outfit like Double Damage can get a little bit more profit for their game by not giving it to Gabe like everyone else, I dont mind.

My computer can handle another program...
Companies paying developers to exclusively sell their product at their store on their closed platform is harmful to consumers and should not be enabled.
Personally, Epic has no support for my OS, and Rebel Galaxy launches directly from the Linux steam client and plays fine using proton. I couldn't even buy & play the game if I wanted to.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

What's the problem with releasing DRM-free? CDPR does it.

The problem is that each successive DRM client is yet another thing to install, yet another password to manage and account to keep track of, yet another vector through which one's personal information can be compromised, and since they're all DRM, yet another form of spyware that will probably harvest information from your system whether they admit to it or not.

Steam has been universally adopted for a long time. Furthermore, Steam doesn't bribe developers to use its platform instead of someone else's.

What's more, many of the developers and/or publishers whose games have gone or are going Epic exclusive are behaving unethically. For example, 4A Games allowed customers to pre-order Metro Exodus on Steam for a very long time before suddenly delaying the release date by a year, forcing Steam to issue an explanation and apology. The developers of Genesis Alpha One have continued to use the Steam Community and their Steam store page to advertise their game, even though they're selling it on the Epic store.

In fact, a great majority of developers/publishers being bribed by Epic are continuing to use Steam to advertise their games. It's not a good strategy, of course, because the great majority of Steam users are angered by this behavior.

For the first time in over a decade, I've begun pirating games again, and it's safer and faster than ever thanks to increasing broadband speed and high-quality professional VPNs (private trackers are also a bonus).

If you go Epic-exclusive, then I make the decision to acquire your game DRM-free, because I can and you can neither detect nor stop me. I'll pay you for it once you either release an actual DRM-free version, or put it on fucking Steam, ass-cunts. I'm not installing more than one fucking DRM client.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Idiotic move. Why'd you want to do that as an indie? People will rather pirate their game than install yet another crapware on their computers.
As a developer, I can understand being fed up with Steam taking a larger cut than Uber does from its drivers...

Eh and in order for Steam not to get 5% you hide your brand new game on a Chinese platform no one but the most retarded millenials is going to use?

If you consider that by going to Steam they'd probably sell 20 times more copies, do you also realize that they don't even want to sell copies? They want to invade peoples privacy which is the very reason people should not be using Epic in the first place. Games should be about games not EULAs that pop up before I can even enter the main menus and which explicitly force me to sign an agreement that my computer can be accessed however they please.

Norfleet

Streamers have already fallen into the same trap as legacy gaming media - their relevance (aka shekels) depends on being first-to-market with an opinion of a game, and being first means getting some kind of preferential treatment from the developer/publisher. This means shilling.
And this is why I only listen to negative commentary. Critical thinking requires criticism. Without criticism, there's no critical thought, and without thought, the opinion has no value.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The best indicator for games these is actually the number of hours played, a lot of games have stellar top rated reviews but only a few hours, this is of course crap.

Plaguecrafter

Novice
The best indicator for games these is actually the number of hours played, a lot of games have stellar top rated reviews but only a few hours, this is of course crap.

That's why I read only the reviews which have enough hours to either complete the game (or complete the most of it) and are longer than 2-3 sentences. Those are the best way to get an opinion about the game.

It's a win-win for us, it will come to steam a year later at 50% off with bugs patched.

I welcome our new Epic beta testers :happytrollboy:
You'd think that, wouldn't you. But who knows what'll actually happen. Could turn out the game is horribly crippled by bugs due to it's dev being a one man studio looking for a payout when he knows the game will do poorly. But don't mind me, I'm just speculating.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's actually three people. Two of which, Travis Baldree and Eric Schaefer, know what they're doing when it comes to delivering a finished product. That said, they can both eat a bag of dicks for this Epic exclusive bullshit. Hope they lose money.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a win-win for us, it will come to steam a year later at 50% off with bugs patched.

I welcome our new Epic beta testers :happytrollboy:
You'd think that, wouldn't you. But who knows what'll actually happen. Could turn out the game is horribly crippled by bugs due to it's dev being a one man studio looking for a payout when he knows the game will do poorly. But don't mind me, I'm just speculating.
Even better then, we won't get to experience the failure

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
It will make Chris Roberts goes fully depressed , it is privateer wet dream.
And fuckin thing is real game, that WORKS and will be released soon ! Not like that money milking monstrosity of crazy Chris who forget about Wing Commander greatness long ago. FUCK YOU BLUEHAIR, new King has come.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
One thing's for sure: Physical, non-holographic cockpit instrumentation beats the shit out of the holo-HUDs seen in both ED and Star Citizen.

Reading this has set off my soyboy alarm, though, and does not generally inspire confidence: https://rebel-galaxy.com/faq/

At this point, Freespace 2, I-War 2, and now Overload are your best bets for proper 6DoF fun. Or this, though there's no trading per se:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/369530/Void_Destroyer_2/

Or this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/283160/House_of_the_Dying_Sun/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom