Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Searching for a new publisher for a new installment of a commercially unsuccessful franchise that no one wanted to touch for 20 years and Starbreeze recently ditched right after having launched a broken mess of a game that pissed off more or less the entire RPG community is going to be a tough sell.

Hey.

Better that than an Apocalypse Now RPG.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Please, Alienman, do you find it ok to use a transphobic slur or referring to a fellow human being as a "creature"?

I don't. Those who played UU2 know I'm a man of virtue. Same in real life.

But I do not intend to start a political discussion, so I'll stop commenting on this issue now.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I don't get it. They're making an Oddworld game?

This info is new to me. They did fuck up the last two remakes so I have no hope, but what the fuck is this shit I see about Oddworld? It used to be one of my favorite games and SS3 is very likely to be hot garbage covered shit, so I want to hear about Oddworld, and not SS3, since it will be garbage covered shit, and Oddworld I want to hear about, not SS3, because...

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Back to trashing OS.

I assume that with this impressive-looking prototype that they've built, they plan to find themselves a new publisher.

They actually don't have a "prototype". They have 3 screenshots and a 30-second trailer. No way is that game "more than halfway completed."

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dissapointed, the SHODAN talking animation looks good but besides that everything looks like it was slapped together in a few days, when we've been waiting for something to chew on since 2015.

It kinda looks like what Irrational had when they built their "one room demo" and used it to shop around for Bioshock publishers in 2004, teal and glow and... blocky-ass cables on the ground included.

610432-924919_20041008_003.jpg

I hope they get a publisher and some good people on the team fast... pink hair talking about how the Unity lighting "just works" is not a good look.

ciox

Liturgist

Oh that unerasable screenshot. Back in 2004 I was genuinely exited when Ken talked about predators and a secret Nazi installation and shit. Two years later, we got to see Big Daddy's and other goofy shit in the re-reveal, and my enthusiasm sank to the bottom.

While the visual was slapped together the implied premise and themeeting of the present day and ancient unearthed mutations was very interesting and stimulating of the ol' imagination.
Too bad they have no desire whatsoever to go back. Even though at some point the Robb Waters concept art of that era, with Yam Hand and the like, was rolled out again to the public in some articles and looked even remastered/recolored a little.

Max Heap

Arcane
That Elizabeth guy sure got me excited
Gay

That Elizabeth guy sure got me excited about the game
Even gayer

On a more serious note:
It looks alrightish. Certainly the artstyle won't earn them the same kind of criticism as with UA.
Talking of which, after Underworld their best bet is probably to "just" deliver System Shock in better visuals without going on the same idiotic development adventures as Neurath/Stellmach & Co.
No (big) experiments and this is probably on a better road than UA already.

Also I believe they already said it's set on Citadel Station - which I think is a bit boring, but at least the environment themes are pretty much defined with that. So maybe this time they can provide a coherent, connected world without patching it in several months post-release (not that UA feels coherent).

Then again: Development hell and feature creep are a mid-project phenomenon. UA also looked quite decent in the earlier shadowbeast demo (yeah right, you remember? That one demo with enemies and environments that never made it into the full game).
So I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Edit:

In case you don't remember:

And look at how enthusiastic even Curratum was back then:

3P6Vvez.png

Better times :obviously:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom