Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline So I've been playing a bunch of (recently released) shooters lately and here is wot I think

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
1. DUSK
header.jpg

Dusk is a GODLY return to form in FPS games. It is REALLY that good, from start to finish. Quake-like mechanics, stellar level design...everything about DUSK is nothing but sheer :incline:. It never ceases to amaze me how they managed to make such an atmospheric game while intentionally going for a "dated" look.

Dusk is a no-cutscene, no fat, no filller experience. All levels are good and plenty of them are quite memorable.

CA25CE586CDC71F4408F46F067622E96D1320ECC

Erebus Reactor aka CRACK IN FPS FORM

While episode 1 does a great job "easing you in", the game takes a turn into the "I don't know wtf is that, but it's fucking awesome" territory at about mid episode 2. Ep2. has an industrial-nightmare theme that kinda reminds me of the original Silent Hill, while episode 3 manages to MASTERFULLY stay away from copying DOOM and instead goes for a "disturbing nightmare" atmosphere instead.

:5/5::5/5:

Game is great, 11/10, people who don't own a copy are either ignorant of Dusk's greatness or have irredeemable shit taste. This isn't a "good for a modern game" it's a "good, period" scenario.

2. AMID EVIL
header.jpg

First off, let me clarify some confusion: AE is NOT developed by the same guy that did Dusk, but it IS published by the same company (New Blood Interactive). It's also NOT an Unity game, AE runs on the Unreal engine. With that out of the way, let's go into the game proper.

AE takes heavy inspiration from Heretic (and some from Hexen), and features a fun projectile based combat that feels right. While Dusk's arsenal is pretty "standard", AE's arsenal is...guess I would call it "exotic". From a sword that launches spells that can clash mid air with enemy spells to a mace that lauches spikes that NAIL ENEMIES TO WALLS and Sceptre that launches fucking planets, AE's arsenal is very memorable and FUN to use.

BE673044DD93A6B04B912C7329FEAD320A039288

Nailing foes to walls never gets old

Another thing that I found quite interesting is that the game's level design philosophy is a stark contrast to the garbage we see nowadays. AE's levels are YUUUUGE and its usage of verticality is a fucking work of art. Every level looks gorgeous and I don't think there is a single map WITHOUT usage of climbing/swimming/dropping from staggering heights (no fall damage here, boyos).

The only thing I would bitch about is that the later portions of the game kinda start moving away from the "shooter" genre and go into the "1st person plataformer" genre. I left some constructive criticism about ep 5 on the forums. My HOPE is that episode 7 goes back to the awesome arena-like fights with tons of enemies that defined episodes 1-4, because if it's more of what I saw in The Forges my opinion might change. I mean... it's just MY OPINION, but I prefer killing shit instead of dealing with a gazillion traps and pitfalls. Oh well...

:5/5::3/5:

AE is an overall great game with some frustrating parts here and there. The core gameplay mechanics are close to perfection, the level design is beautiful and interesting, but on some maps you get the impression that the devs care a lot about how their maps LOOK, but not so much about "how fun they are to play".

255FAE2907A9E6B0A5158CB6377ED1EFB0B48B21

Well...they DID warn me. :roll:

3. Killing Floor 2
header.jpg

I've seen plenty of negative opinions on the Codex thread, but I enjoyed this one. Most of the issues pointed by people there were addressed at some point in development. I'm a latecomer to KF, so don't expect me to know how things were during Early Access or something.

At this point in time the game is quite enjoyable, as far as new games go, anyway. It's an edgier Left 4 Dead, with more options and more things to play with. I also found the map design to be more interesting, with maps like Airship, Nightmare, Monster Ball and others being legit creative and quite unique.

Personally I dislike the shitty grind mechanics, but whatever. The game also features shitty micro transactions and the whole "leh ironic funneh meme hat" monetization scam, but thankfully this crap can be ignored as the actual content is NOT behind paywalls of any kind.

It's also quite funny how some members of its "community" get insanely butthurt when you say the game is "kinda like L4D, lel", but it really is. And YES, it is repetitive, but I don't see that as a deal breaker. Play some KF2 -> get bored -> go do something else. You'll be back wanting to repeat that perfect fleshpound takedown you managed earlier.

:5/5::2/5:

The game isn't groundbreaking or anything but what little it does it does REALLY well, with proper weapon impact, great sound design and overall FUN experience. Get it cheap like I did and you're golden.

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
4. Doom 2016 (Nu-Doom)
header.jpg

It's...mediocre.

Yeah, I have a LOT to bitch about this one.

First: sound design. AWFUL. Your arsenal feels castrated with plenty of iconic weapons simply lacking a satisfying sound. Plasma Rifle, rocket launcher and shotgun are the main offenders in my book. Super shotty and railgun are notable exceptions. But for the most part, everything sounds muffled. I even went on Youtube to check whether I had some sound bug or something, but no. The explosions really do sound like shit, the guns really do sound like they are being fired underwater or something. Monsters are also a big missed opportunity since they all sound the same. Dusk blows this one out of the water, heck even KF2 has distinctive sounds for every monster.

Level design is lobotomized, but I was already expecting that. What I didn't expect were fucking QUEST MARKERS in a FUCKING FPS. Like...why!? The level design is already pretty "simplified", why bother with fucking quest markers...? Jesus...

Another thing: people say they added an "awesome button", but actually they added TWO awesome buttons. It's not just Glory-Holes, the chainsaw is also an awesome button. And BTW: did anyone else found the damage in this game to be inconsistent as fuck? Sometimes imps survive a DBS to the face, other times they die to a single CS tap. Cacodemons sometimes die with like 2 railgun shots, other times they seem to tank forever. I dunno, maybe I'm going senile, but I really feel like there is some really weird RNG thing going on in this game.

What the game did manage to accomplish was its somewhat decent core gameplay mechanics and SOME arenas that are legit fun to play (especially in the later missions). I enjoyed VEGA Core for instance. Its graphix are also quite pretty AND well optimized. The entire game played buttery-smooth for me, from start to finish. Oh, I also enjoy the fact that the game lets you cancel reload animations by swapping weapons, which allows for some cool "burst combos" that provide some extra variety to combat.

Another thing that irked me were the shitty "collectibles" and retarded "challenges". I mean...WHY? They did put SOME effort in giving the player a decent sized toolbox to play with, but THEN the game turns around and demands that you play certain areas in a very peculiar way for fuck all reason. Instead of letting the player enjoy what little freedom he has, the game keeps nagging you to perform X Glory-Holes, commit Y murders while high on crack, fondle Z amount of Mancubus tits and so on. The "RPG Elements" are also shit and can fuck right off. It's like these people don't get what "less is more" is even supposed to mean.

AND FINALLY, one thing that triggers me and may sound odd: they BROKE the "no redundancy" rule of Doom arsenal by adding a fucking ASSAULT RIFLE that outclasses the iconic minigun. Every weapon in Doom has a specific purpose with no overlap, but in nu-Doom the arsenal is all over the place. To add insult to injury, the plasma rifle seems to deal LESS damage than the AR and is acquired quite early in the game, no longer being a "special" weapon, but rather another workhorse weapon, except with different "pew pew". Gay.

:5/5::0/5:

Nu-Doom is like a special needs child that graduates from highschool at age 27 and secures a minimum wage job at MacDonald's. You might think "well, that's not really impressive", BUT when you look into little Doomy's FAMILY and see they are all drooling vegetables and uncle 76 seems to be missing tree limbs, you'll quickly learn to appreciate little Doomy's achievements. So set aside your insensitive opinions of Doom 2016, because within CONTEXT little Doomy is quite the overachieving retard.

(Srsly, tho, get it dirt cheap in a bundle or skip it entirely, unless you REALLY crave a new shooter to play, you dirty little graphix WHORE)

5. Real Return to Castle Wolfenstein
HMuAkO5.jpg
real-rtcw-2.1.jpg

Did you ever wake up in the middle of the night thinking

jeu-71.jpg

"Why is she holding a STEN!? WTF!? THAT is the thing I would call 'not realistic' in RTCW"

Then this mod was made for you! RRTCW is a pretty straightforward mod that replaces a lot of out of place allied weapons with proper axis counterparts, complete with new models and sound effects. The mod also brings in some weapons that were (probably) scrapped during development, including a shotgun and a flame thrower.

There isn't much to say about this one except perhaps the recommendation to MAYBE go with the 2.1 version of the mod instead of the latest, since the newer version messes with the numbers of a game. It's my conviction that it is not possible to improve upon perfection, so I think sticking to the vanilla numbers is probably for the best.

Frankly, this mod is nothing but a piss-poor excuse to reinstall RTCW and when it comes to that game any excuse is good enough. Oh, this one also brings some HD textures and whatnot, but frankly I don't see that much of a difference.

:5/5::5/5:

This isn't a "Total Conversion" or anything even remotely similar, so you're still playing RTCW, which is a 10/10 game for anyone who isn't mentally handicapped. On a side note:

https://www.etlegacy.com/

There is an attempt at a "open Wolf:ET", so you guys might want to check this one. I can't, since the serverlist doesn't mention HUE servers, or even american ones.

THOUGHTS on games I HAVEN'T played yet:

6. Ion Maiden
the-old-school-like-fps-game-ion-maiden-is-now-available-via-steam-early-access-header.jpg

From what little I've seen on YT this one is shaping up nicely. However, while Amid Evil is almost ready for release in its current state, with 6/7 episodes fully playable, Ion Maiden seems to be in a much earlier phase. There is currently only a "demo campaign" available (similar to Doom's shareware episode aka Ep. 1) that only features the initial weapons. Speaking of which, with the exception of the bowling bomb, IM's weapons so far don't look at that unique. I get the impression that the outlandish design is there to make the rather mundane arsenal look more interesting that it actually is, but I'm hoping they will add more outlandish weapons like Duke's shrink gun later on.

I didn't jump the gun on this one, but I'm keeping an eye out and hoping for the best. "Hope" is the key word here, because I still get the feeeling that what's available on YT doesn't really show Ion Maiden's full bag of tricks. At this point in time we can't really tell whether or not this will become another Dusk. I hate to be "that guy" but there is still plenty of time for Ion Maiden to turn out "eh...nice try, I guess".

Wait and see, folks. We'll have wait and see.

7. Insurgency: Sandstorm
insurgencysandstorm-696x365.jpg

Despite my dislike for the "tacticool" shooter genre, I really enjoyed Insurgency and even gave Day of Infamy a try. So I was looking forward to the release of Sandstorm but from what I've seen so far, the game looks like a case of "niche inadequacy syndrome".

NIS is a terrible disease that manifests itself in the form of smaller developers doing away with their game's identity in favor of something they perceive as having broader market appeal. In the case of Sandstorm it SEEMS to me like they decided to go after the disgruntled CoD fanbase. At least that's what I thought when I saw that a lot of actions like ADS, throwing grenades, switching and reloading weapons are now MUCH faster.

Looking at Steam reviews I noticed that most negative reviews are bitching about technical issues, NOT the "popamolization" of the game so either a) things aren't as bad as I'm picturing them or b) the community is happy seeing their game being turned into a CoD clone. From a business perspective tho I guess it made sense since the whole "fatigue" of the CoD franchise has been going on for about a decade or so.

Either way I'm NOT touching this one at full price, fuck that. If I get it for free for whatever reason, SURE I would give it a try before passing judgment. But FUCK paying 80 HB for what LOOKS like massive :decline:.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
I didn't dislike Nu-Doom as much as you (I actually thought the sound effects were pretty decent). The worst thing about it is that the engine still can't handle more than a few enemies on screen at once (this was one of my main beefs with Doom 3 back in the mid-2000s) hence you get the core gameplay loop of running around arenas killing things and then new opponents spawning in as the old ones die. Personally I preferred the original where literal hordes were charging at you but it will probably be a long time before we see a mainstream game do that again.

I've heard nothing but good things about Dusk so will have to give it a go sometime.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
FUCK I lost my entire text on both Ion Maiden and Sandstorm by closing this window "accidentally".

Try Soldier of Fortune

Guncaster: Vindicated
GZDoom mod (D1&2, Heretic, Hexen, Strife) when?

I learned from my mistakes in the FfH thread, namely: putting out way too many topics and thinking "well, I'm gonna play these at SOME point". This time I decided to stick to games I had already played by the time I made the thread, in order to avoid more [work in progress] sections that are never finished. Gaming burnout is real and should never be underestimated.

If you want to discuss shooters not mentioned in my OP, be my guest, I won't go "nuh uuh, this is MY thread!". But I won't take requests because a) I don't play vidya gaymes for a living and b) I have WAY too many unfinished projects in my life and I HATE adding items to that list.

[2 PM update]

THERE, the thread is out of Early Access. Enjoy, boyos. Tho I might go for a day-one patch, who knows.

Last edited:

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Man, I love "old" FPS games. Thanks for this thread. I did not know about DUSK and AMID EVIL. Ion Maiden? Sure, it is on my list.
I can't decide if I should go for DUSK or AMID EVIL. AMID EVIL looks very interesting and the level thing has caught my interest. But they look both pretty solid. What has more "meat" right now and the more challenging combat?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Man, I love "old" FPS games. Thanks for this thread. I did not know about DUSK and AMID EVIL. Ion Maiden? Sure, it is on my list.
I can't decide if I should go for DUSK or AMID EVIL. AMID EVIL looks very interesting and the level thing has caught my interest. But they look both pretty solid. What has more "meat" right now and the more challenging combat?

Buy both, they are cheap, but if you MUST choose, then Dusk since AE is still technically Early Access.

DraQ

Arcane
Try Soldier of Fortune
SoF1 was overrated, mostly riding on sheer BRÜTALITY.
Not a bad game, mind you, and damage effects were well done and very detailed (including the less obvious and less lethal stuff like being able to disarm people or shoot every little pouch off them, not just visuals - which were also excellently modelled - both gore and personal armour damage), but a bit disappointing.

Of course, I am the kind of person that was deeply butthurt by the fact that underslung GL of one of the weapons used the same ammo pool as primary fire.

DemonKing

Arcane
SoF1 was overrated, mostly riding on sheer BRÜTALITY.

Agreed - once the novelty of blowing knee caps off and hearing dismembered enemies scream ended it was pretty standard fare. I did enjoy the multi in SOF2 though back in the day.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Dusk was really good. I think there was only one 'stinker' level and that was it. The rest was super solid.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Refunded Dusk.
I'm a weak, slow and old man and not as good and fast as I used to be. Or maybe I never was to begin with. Dusk shattered my confidence.

On a serious note, the game is really fast and it fucks with my eyes. I get fatigue or shit like that.
The atmosphere in the first levels was superb, like the old Blood. This game did create a more dreadful/tense atmosphere than the new Resident Evil. Finding the secrets in the first level alone gave me more feelings than a whole playthrough of another game.

DraQ

Arcane
Guncaster: Vindicated
GZDoom mod (D1&2, Heretic, Hexen, Strife) when?

I learned from my mistakes in the FfH thread, namely: putting out way too many topics and thinking "well, I'm gonna play these at SOME point". This time I decided to stick to games I had already played by the time I made the thread, in order to avoid more [work in progress] sections that are never finished. Gaming burnout is real and should never be underestimated.
Try saying "I am not interested in firing an eight barrel shotgun at my enemies and seeing what it does to them and being able to akimbo-wield said shotgun, nor in having it possessed and floating by your side while dispensing lead and Caleb-y one liners, nor both at the same time after picking up a second one, lead-ing (heh) to effectively 32x barrel battery of naval-scale firepower" several times in quick succession.

Silly Germans

Has someone tried Nightmare Reaper or Project Warlock ? How do they fare in comparison to Dusk ?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Has someone tried Nightmare Reaper or Project Warlock ? How do they fare in comparison to Dusk ?
Nightmare Reaper have mess of a pixel crap all over the screen and PW is pretty flat game (even more than Chasm the Rift) with lots of secrets and RPG elements.
I would buy both for a dollar

Onionguy

Educated
RTCW was never 10/10 and will never be anywhere near that score. It's an ok shooter that offers good atmosphere/visuals but suffers from its floaty gunplay and uneven level design.

Ash

Arcane
Nu Doom is 7/10 at best (Doom Eternal is notably better, though still no masterpiece).

RTCW is a cool game, but also gotta agree with the above that it isn't an absolute masterpiece. 8/10. Maybe 8.5.

Hit-scan heavy combat (comes with the territory, but still, enemies could throw grenades more, there could be attack dogs...if going for world war theme I'd do my absolute best to mix it up).
Many secrets that reward "treasures" rather than anything with any tangible value. Fixed in the console version, but that's not ideal of course.
No shotgun? Incomprehensible. Fixed in the *other* console version. Though it's likely mods have fixed it for PC now.
Piss-poor kick attack. I like that it can bust open doors though.
The guns also feel a bit weak, but they're not bad.
While a very solid game it also didn't really introduce anything original.
I will say that level design is generally pretty good. Certainly not amazing as far as FPS goes, but for a military shooter this is among the best I've seen.

Game is a classic but it would have to make my top 10 FPS, not top 5.

I also quite like Wolfenstien (2009). Good for what it was. trying to get hold of it these days is difficult though.

May as well add that the modern Wolf games (e.g New Order) are garbage and you should stay well away. Even Nu doom 2016 is better.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom