Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
well, tbh decent games getting review bombed because "add chinese translation" did strike my nerve and make searching what to buy more difficult
with western gaming being in the state that it is, I'm finding myself review bombing Chinese games asking for English translations, so I sympathise with my Chinese bomber brothers

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
well, tbh decent games getting review bombed because "add chinese translation" did strike my nerve and make searching what to buy more difficult
with western gaming being in the state that it is, I'm finding myself review bombing Chinese games asking for English translations, so I sympathise with my Chinese bomber brothers

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED
学习中文,傻逼

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thing is, those tend to come in gradually, rather than as one big flood.
This system will only work if it comes in as one massive flood.

Poseidon00

Arcane
No surprise Steam wants to eliminate review scores that are bad because of retroactive monetization practices. Just making it easier to prey on the consumer. If only there was an alternative platform that wasn't worse.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The new design officially revealed:

cx4G3sg.jpg

https://www.pcgamer.com/new-steam-design-2019/

After years of rumors and leaked mockup images, it's finally happening: Steam's library is getting a new look. This isn't a full-on redesign of Steam in its entirety, so the store and other parts of the interface aren't changing as far as we know. In its keynote at GDC on Thursday, Valve showed off the new library view, highlighting a redesigned page with large game thumbnails and more categorization around what's going on with your games.

"The biggest thing we're introducing is the Steam library homepage," said Valve's Alden Kroll. "This provides an opportunity for players to see 'what else is happening in the games that I play?'"

Some key elements of the new library view:

• The friends list is now integrated into a right-hand column
  • The top module shows recent games you've been playing with a library view reminiscent of Plex or the Apple TV
  • The rest of your collection is shown with nice vertical thumbnails that can be scaled to show larger icons or more games
  • The left-hand games list has a new look but is fairly similar to the existing design

The biggest new feature for the library, at least in terms of functionality, is an extension of the tags Steam has been using on the store for several years. Those tags now carry over to the library page, and you can perform an advanced search using several tags to drill down through your games. The cool addition here is that you can save a tag search as a "collection" of similar games, like, say, "Ninja Action."

The library detail page for individual games (see image below) has also been reworked, with a cleaner layout prioritizing recent updates or livestreams for the game at the top of the page. Below that is an activity feed with recent actions from your friends list. The right-hand friends list carries over but will highlight any friends currently active in that game at the moment. Below your friends list are DLC, achievements, trading cards, and screenshots.

Valve didn't announce a release date for the new library view, but told me over email that it's aiming for a beta release this summer.

raz3r

Novice
I knew it was a conference aimed to developers but I am disappointed nonetheless, expecially if we consider what Epic came up with yesterday at the same exact event.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The new design officially revealed:

https://www.pcgamer.com/new-steam-design-2019/

After years of rumors and leaked mockup images, it's finally happening: Steam's library is getting a new look. This isn't a full-on redesign of Steam in its entirety, so the store and other parts of the interface aren't changing as far as we know. In its keynote at GDC on Thursday, Valve showed off the new library view, highlighting a redesigned page with large game thumbnails and more categorization around what's going on with your games.

"The biggest thing we're introducing is the Steam library homepage," said Valve's Alden Kroll. "This provides an opportunity for players to see 'what else is happening in the games that I play?'"

Some key elements of the new library view:

• The friends list is now integrated into a right-hand column
  • The top module shows recent games you've been playing with a library view reminiscent of Plex or the Apple TV
  • The rest of your collection is shown with nice vertical thumbnails that can be scaled to show larger icons or more games
  • The left-hand games list has a new look but is fairly similar to the existing design

The biggest new feature for the library, at least in terms of functionality, is an extension of the tags Steam has been using on the store for several years. Those tags now carry over to the library page, and you can perform an advanced search using several tags to drill down through your games. The cool addition here is that you can save a tag search as a "collection" of similar games, like, say, "Ninja Action."

The library detail page for individual games (see image below) has also been reworked, with a cleaner layout prioritizing recent updates or livestreams for the game at the top of the page. Below that is an activity feed with recent actions from your friends list. The right-hand friends list carries over but will highlight any friends currently active in that game at the moment. Below your friends list are DLC, achievements, trading cards, and screenshots.

Valve didn't announce a release date for the new library view, but told me over email that it's aiming for a beta release this summer.

I'll go ahead and quote myself:

The current interface is usable, the new one will, without a doubt, be shit.

Also, RPG Games.

GrainWetski

Arcane
The most simple things can bring the most happiness.

bY6Utew.jpg
I will never understand why people think this shit is acceptable on PC. I don't even want to touch that mess on my phone. Fuck huge tiles.

https://www.nhl.com/ used to have a really great site before they made it the complete and utter garbage it is now. The previous design worked great on both my phone and PC even though it wasn't "optimized" for phones.

Give me lists or give me death, fucking cunts.

Jesus tittyfucking Christ, I thought that was the STORE page but it's the goddamn library, that's a nightmare. Since there's an advanced button I'm hoping you can go back to the standard list of game titles because if I couldn't just start typing in the name of the game I want to play to reach it it'll make my library basically unusable. I do have hope it's optional though given there's a "Big dumb flashy" library mode already and has been for years.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jesus tittyfucking Christ, I thought that was the STORE page but it's the goddamn library, that's a nightmare. Since there's an advanced button I'm hoping you can go back to the standard list of game titles because if I couldn't just start typing in the name of the game I want to play to reach it it'll make my library basically unusable. I do have hope it's optional though given there's a "Big dumb flashy" library mode already and has been for years.

What image are you referring to? The one in the post directly above you is from the Epic Store.

The Steam image seems to be showing a Library screen in which no particular game is selected, which is a state that doesn't exist in the current version.

Turjan

Arcane
The most simple things can bring the most happiness.

bY6Utew.jpg
I will never understand why people think this shit is acceptable on PC. I don't even want to touch that mess on my phone. Fuck huge tiles.

https://www.nhl.com/ used to have a really great site before they made it the complete and utter garbage it is now. The previous design worked great on both my phone and PC even though it wasn't "optimized" for phones.

Give me lists or give me death, fucking cunts.
At this moment, they need these big tiles, because that's all there is. Otherwise, there would just be empty space.

Turjan

Arcane
Yup. At the moment there are three display options, and I hope that stays that way.

What image are you referring to?
The Steam image. And that state doesn't exist, true, but it also means if that's the new default for the Steam library then it'll be a last resort for me and I'll either have to use right-clicking the systray icon (Not ideal because new games you buy/add to Steam end up there and override "Last played" games) or possibly shit up my desktop with icons again, rather than going to the library page and seeing the game I was last on.

Yup. At the moment there are three display options, and I hope that stays that way.
Certainly hope so. The only advantage to the other views is that "List view" tells me how long it's been since I've played some shit I've got installed, which... Now that I'm thinking about it I probably should take to heart and use to delete some crap. Haven't played Desktop Dungeons in 4 years, sure, but it's a small puzzle game and I might feel like it at some point. Crypt of the Necrodancer unplayed for 3 years however is a bit more iffy.

Turjan

Arcane
The Steam image seems to be showing a Library screen in which no particular game is selected, which is a state that doesn't exist in the current version.
Well, the inspiration seems to be this current state:

NoRtufi.jpg

Which is the worst of the three.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom