Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Cael

Arcane
Read Twilight of the Clans Book 3. It very specifically states Clan technician PPE is ~50 years behind the IS. Of course, by that time, ~50 years is 301x, so if we are comparing Clan to IS circa 3025, he is not too far wrong.
I'd assume that's because they don't care, rather than because they don't have the technology for it. The scientists could probably come up with huge upgrades in like a day, but the warrior caste won't allow it because non warrior lives don't matter. Same reason Clan life expectancy is so low. They could actually take care of people so they live beyond 60, but they just don't give a shit.
Either way, this is kinda irrelevant. That guy was talking about the invasion, so non military technology isn't that important.
The moron was talking about how there was no degradation of productivity. I pointed out there is. Not giving a shit and therefore not researching that area is automatically a degradation in productivity. Read his post again. He is basically saying that the Clan should be invincible because they have such a massive advantage in tech and war materiel without impacting their society's productivity. Which is absurd because not caring for the population is a degradation in productivity. If the IS went full Clan style in terms of research and war production, we would see a degradation in the quality of life in the IS, which the fool would gleefully point out as being a degradation in productivity (which in his context actually means impact on the society).

Going from 90 to 50 is lowering quality of life, but when one starts at 50 to begin with, then the comparison is a lie.

Which is basically what he is about. He has lied, obfuscated and presented deliberately bad interpretation of facts in order to "win" an argument which he had already lost from his first post (see the post about the Spanish guy).

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Cael may be a dumbfuck, but he's got most of his clan lore right. It should be noted that the clan homeworlds were also resource-poor and that was also a factor in the weird autism of clan society and their focus on putting everything into weapon development (as it was the only thing not seen as wasteful.) They were great warriors, but pretty crap conquerors. Of the invader clans they all mostly went native to varying degrees by 3067+ largely because they would have ended up like the Smoke Jaguars otherwise.

Trithne

Erudite
All I'm reading here is more proof the Clans were a mistake and Clanners are insufferable shits.

Vatnik Wumao
Read Twilight of the Clans Book 3. It very specifically states Clan technician PPE is ~50 years behind the IS. Of course, by that time, ~50 years is 301x, so if we are comparing Clan to IS circa 3025, he is not too far wrong.
I'd assume that's because they don't care, rather than because they don't have the technology for it. The scientists could probably come up with huge upgrades in like a day, but the warrior caste won't allow it because non warrior lives don't matter. Same reason Clan life expectancy is so low. They could actually take care of people so they live beyond 60, but they just don't give a shit.
Either way, this is kinda irrelevant. That guy was talking about the invasion, so non military technology isn't that important.
The moron was talking about how there was no degradation of productivity. I pointed out there is. Not giving a shit and therefore not researching that area is automatically a degradation in productivity. Read his post again. He is basically saying that the Clan should be invincible because they have such a massive advantage in tech and war materiel without impacting their society's productivity. Which is absurd because not caring for the population is a degradation in productivity. If the IS went full Clan style in terms of research and war production, we would see a degradation in the quality of life in the IS, which the fool would gleefully point out as being a degradation in productivity (which in his context actually means impact on the society).

Going from 90 to 50 is lowering quality of life, but when one starts at 50 to begin with, then the comparison is a lie.

Which is basically what he is about. He has lied, obfuscated and presented deliberately bad interpretation of facts in order to "win" an argument which he had already lost from his first post (see the post about the Spanish guy).

LOL calm down. Now to the meat of it:

How is the fact that the Clans were ahead of the IS a red herring? It is a fact that the Jaguars exaggerated the threat of counter invasion from the IS. At the start of the clan invasion the Jaguar force was capable of wrecking the DCMS, one of the largest great house militaries in the IS. The DCMS had to call on Fedcom reinforcements to beat back the Jaguars from Luthien. Post Tukayyid, when IS had united against the clans and overhauled their forces, it took a joint force of all the great houses to defeat one clan, and that joint force took massive casualties. So the numerical advantage the IS had was not all that significant in actual battles. A full scale attack on the clans was never feasible, otherwise the IS would have just rolled into the entire occupation zone instead of singling out the Jaguars and fighting the Trial of Refusal at Strana Mechty.

Rebellions in the occupation zone don't change the fact that it was largely stable. If it was not, the Spheroid clans would not have been able to give up their territory in the Pentagon worlds during the War of Reaving and flee to the IS. Having dissidents shot does not mean those dissidents were any where near unseating the occupying power.

How is pointing out the military strength of the clans fraudulent? The clans are a society with no real economy, isolated and in numerical terms, smaller then a great house. Yet the Jaguars can produce an invasion force that can smash through the DCMS, an opponent that absolutely overwhelms them. It took a massive joint force raised by an IS on a war footing to finally put the Jaguars down. By any measure this shows ridiculously productive clan society was despite all its flaws that it needed a united IS to defeat one clan.

When the clan invasion began, the wardens were already a spent force. The wardens were bleeding support throughout the political age. All the clans, except wolf, voted in favor of the invasion in the Grand Council. It was only post Tukayyid that the Wardens became somewhat relevant again and even then they were always out numbered by the crusaders. The ultimate driving force of the War of Refusal was Ulric refusing to play scapegoat and pulling his entire clan into it. If there was a genuine schism in clan society, wolf clan would not have been left isolated post Tukayyid.

Since when was it unthinkable for a clan warrior to go against the Trials? The final examination for all mechwarrior candidates explicitly allows cadets to breach zellbrigen. The decision to allow the Trials to be used in the IS invasion was a conscious choice made by the clans when the invasion was planned despite intelligence from the Dragoons that the IS has no knowledge of the concept. This decision was explained away by the authors using the clan contempt for barbarian Speroids despite it being a retardo decision. So as I said, by authorial fiat, the Trials were brought into the picture to give the IS a fighting chance.

Ulric goading the crusaders was only after the crusaders refused wolf advice regarding fighting great house forces. Ulric was also extremely distressed when the other clans bid themselves down to nothing before the battle of Tukayyid as it would damage their position as a whole vis a vis Comstar. Uric during the invasion had also directed wolf forces in a way that would secure their position as ilclan after Terra was conquered. Ulric was clearly playing for keeps during the invasion. His outright opposition to the crusaders only began after Tukayyid when the knives were out for him personally.

3067 is post Tukayyid. The IS could only catch up since the clans had agreed to the truce. Which was, it bears repeating again, a retardo move made by authorial fiat to give the IS a fighting chance.

Cael

Arcane

*snipped for lies, deceit, "creative interpretation" and obfuscation*
:nocountryforshitposters:

"The DCMS had to call on FedCom reinforcements..."

I think that is all we need to know about this guy's knowledge of CBT.

"I am not lying, I am not lying!" yells the fraud.

Vatnik Wumao
Whoops. I meant mercenaries sent by House Davion, namely the Dragoons and the Kell Hounds, not actual Fedcom regulars. I guess the truth is out then!

Cael

Arcane
Whoops. I meant mercenaries sent by House Davion, namely the Dragoons and the Kell Hounds, not actual Fedcom regulars. I guess the truth is out then!
An offer by Davion is not Kurita calling on reinforcements.

Your statement is so many levels of wrong that it makes it absolutely certain you are another one of those "scan wikipedia for 2 seconds and claim to be knowledgeable about the subject matter" twats.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/637090/announcements/detail/1803034740801959849

LIVE - BATTLETECH 1.5.0 Release Notes
12 MAR @ 6:46PM - HAREBRAINED SCHEMES

Welcome to BATTLETECH 1.5! This release is focused on delivering more quality-of-life improvements and bug fixes. We have resolved several stability issues as well as some nasty bugs that, under certain circumstances, could cause file corruption.

For more behind-the-scenes information check out the Dev Diary from Mitch Gitelman, our Game Director and co-founder at: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-diary-10-spinning-plates.1155666/

Please enjoy our latest BATTLETECH update!

-- HBS

IMPORTANT: As an ongoing note for players who mod various game files… modding is not officially supported. If you have saved a game with any mod active, that saved game will not work after an update has been applied unless you replace all modded files exactly as they were when the save game file was created. Saved games require the exact same data state in order to function properly.

If you experience further issues please contact Customer Support at: https://support.paradoxplaza.com

Highlights
  • File corruption issues have been addressed and force quitting during shutdown will no longer potentially cause multiple issues, including the loss of contracts in the command center.
  • Mac users should now be unblocked if their volume of save files becomes large.
  • We've reduced some delays for MechWarrior combat VOs and camera moves to speed the pace of combat.

Bugfixes
  • Fixed an issue where the user could become stuck if none of the user’s remaining ‘Mechs were operational or all of the user’s MechWarriors were injured. The issue occurred in Flashpoints with consecutive deployment missions and in consecutive deployment late in the story campaign playthrough.
  • Fixed an issue where some missions could not be completed when an enemy 'Mech failed to load.
  • Unit Flags are now properly deleted on unit destruction.
  • Multiplayer no longer desyncs each round if the host and guest use different decimal separators based on language.
  • Enemy 'Mechs no longer get shut down after using JumpJets when being deployed in specific Capture Base contracts.
  • COMMUNITY REPORTED: LRM variants stability damage has been corrected.
  • COMMUNITY REPORTED: Trebuchet TBT-5N now has correct max armor for the Center Torso.
  • COMMUNITY REPORTED: Zeus ZEU-6S now has the correct number of max Jump Jets.
  • COMMUNITY REPORTED: Atlas AS7-D AC/20 ammo is now correctly located in the right torso instead of in the legs. It should now be more difficult to get a knockdown or incapacitate the Atlas.
  • COMMUNITY REPORTED: ER-PPC's now properly have sensor degradation effects.
  • COMMUNITY REPORTED: Crab CRB-27 is no longer slower than intended.
  • COMMUNITY REPORTED: The BL-6-KNT's PPC no longer appears in the wrong location on its right arm.
  • COMMUNITY REPORTED: Atlas AS7-D and AS7-D-HT Center Torso internal structure and max armor values are no longer off by 5.
  • COMMUNITY REPORTED: Several PVP MechWarriors are no longer missing traits.
  • COMMUNITY REPORTED: The weapon mounts for the head location on the Crab no longer appear incorrectly.
  • Destroyed enemy units no longer become targetable after loading a combat save.
  • The store icon on the star map now displays properly after becoming an ally with Magistracy Of Canopus or Taurian Concordat.
  • Store prices in the Black Market are now affected by your reputation with the Pirates faction. The System owner's reputation price modifier is no longer applied.
  • Achievement - "I Thought You Were Dead" can now be obtained, however it is not granted retroactively.
  • Achievement - "Professional Scavenger" can now be obtained, however it is not granted retroactively.
  • Vehicle nameplates no longer remain visible if destroyed with a single attack.
  • Fixed two issues that might cause a softlock to occur during the story campaign.
  • Many issues relating to the Big Steel Claw have been resolved.
  • An event involving antivirals now works properly.
  • Numerous localization issues have been cleaned up or resolved.

Known Issues
  • An audio related crash is being heavily investigated. The fix for this will be shared with the community as soon as it is ready.
  • On rare occasions, a small amount of partly unlocalized mission objective text may appear in localized versions of the game.
  • Custom Mechwarrior callsigns and ‘Mech names may appear localized if the custom name is a word that is already used elsewhere in the game.

Roll Back

It is possible to change to past versions of our game in case you have trouble with this update. For more platform specific information go to our forums at: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-rollback-to-a-previous-patch-version.1112335/

Beastro

Arcane
These are just people trying to force values unto others, the reason why SJW doesnt have a place in Battletech is the same of why SJW dont have a place in African Civil Wars ... at the time of the game the Inner Sphere was at in a near perpetual state of war with no side gaining or losing advantage and you need to rally people under your flag and that means everyone else flag is wrong but the problem with SJW propaganda is that you cannot go around claiming women are better that white man are bad because we seen the backlash SJW got, you are basically telling people "hey, you ARE going to be oppressed based on your values" when about over twice the population is going to be oppressed, radical SJW is The Word of Blake were people forgot about the original intent and go the extra mile into fanatism.

That run on sentence is glorious.

Bohr

Arcane
I think Paradox have just been biding their time, waiting for people to forget what HBS said on the subject, before reverting to their usual approach (in addition to the below pretty sure Mitch insisted they would never 'sell mech skins'). This is probably just testing the waters

rwGIqFLO_o.png

Cael

Arcane
Ah, yes. The legendary Shadow Hawk. A 'mech so great no one wants it in their lance. 55 tons of pure uselessness. Give me a Vindicator over a SHawk any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I dunno, didn't really seem like that to me since it doesn't change the tonnage scaling problem and on paper really just reinforces it thanks to the new multi-stage jobs meaning ability to withstand attrition reigns supreme.

I haven't got it, or played it, mostly because it just didn't have anything to pique my interest. Doing an expac around the procgen stuff just isn't interesting to me.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I backed this, then read about it being shit, and can't even be bothered/remember how to reclaim my key. Fucking decline. Waiting for MW5 - if that's good, I'm hoping the entusiasm from that game might bleed into this title...

GreyViper

Prophet
I backed this, then read about it being shit, and can't even be bothered/remember how to reclaim my key. Fucking decline. Waiting for MW5 - if that's good, I'm hoping the entusiasm from that game might bleed into this title...
It's worth playing with RogueTech, then it becomes the game you backed for.
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/79
Edit. I guess I should explain more. It removes the campaign and tedious tutorial system and gives you the whole map with Clan sectors to play with. Depending what planet you start at, you get different starting mechs. But the most important change I noticed, is that you can build good mele gladiator mechs using pirate tech.
Speaking of pirates, they have some of the amusing makeshift weapons that can do tons of damage but there is 5% it will blow up (think Orkz).
So yeah think the base game as platform and RogueTech as the main game.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's worth playing with RogueTech, then it becomes the game you backed for.
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/79
Edit. I guess I should explain more. It removes the campaign and tedious tutorial system and gives you the whole map with Clan sectors to play with. Depending what planet you start at, you get different starting mechs. But the most important change I noticed, is that you can build good mele gladiator mechs using pirate tech.
Speaking of pirates, they have some of the amusing makeshift weapons that can do tons of damage but there is 5% it will blow up (think Orkz).
So yeah think the base game as platform and RogueTech as the main game.

Awesome, thanks. I suppose it was up to the community to refurbish this game into something playable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom