Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4e

Morkar Left

I'll just stick with 3rd edition rules and some stuff from 2nd Edition. Will never need anything more.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I'll just stick with 3rd edition rules and some stuff from 2nd Edition. Will never need anything more.

If you like 3e, you surely are in a minority position. What do you like about it? The "story telling" dice pools, the board game feel?

Morkar Left

If you like 3e, you surely are in a minority position. What do you like about it? The "story telling" dice pools, the board game feel?

uhm, I guess I'm mixing here some stuff up then. It's a while. I thought the one with the barbarian on the cover (in Germany) was already second edition (together with The enemy within campaign). But now I guess it was still first edition. Which means the 2nd edition with the same background as the tabletop game has is my preferred one.

Andhaira

Arcane
Damn this looks sweet. All I personally wanted was improve/get rid of whiff factor, brand new full color art (though the color art in 2e was super sweet, it was starting to show its age), more talents, ability to stay in basic careers longer, more spells for each color of magic and/or a different magick system more like 1e, and they seemed to have pulled most of it off. The way you stay in basic careers longer/for ever is a bit iffy to me, could cause issues, but otherwise I'm sold.

edit: And Witchhunter (or apprentice Witch Hunter, whatever it will be called) from the get go! Now that right there is AWESOME! *nerdgazm*

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Preview – Class and Career
WFRPFourth-Headers-10.jpg

This preview provides a glimpse into the careers available in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition. Careers are one of the key components of creating your Character, and are a large part of every edition of the game — they are one of the things that make WFRP what it is. So, we felt we had to do them right. We wanted lots of options, and we wanted to give control of how the careers are used to the player. So, want to stay in one career forever? No problems. Want to advance quickly through the ranks? That’s cool, too! Want to bounce from interesting Career to interesting Career? Sure, it’s your game, we have options for that as well.

Want to stay a Pit Fighter forever? You can now.

Careers are organised into eight Classes. Each of these Classes has eight Careers to choose from, for a total of 64 Careers. But there is more. Each Career also has four levels, with each level offering a greater mix of Advances. So, in total we have 256 Career options in the book. Yup, 256.

Let’s take a look at the Careers available. The Classes and their associated Careers are:

Academics: Apothecary, Engineer, Lawyer, Nun, Physician, Priest, Scholar, Wizard

Burghers: Agitator, Artisan, Beggar, Investigator, Merchant, Rat Catcher, Townsman, Watchman

Courtiers: Advisor, Artist, Duellist, Envoy, Noble, Servant, Spy, Warden

Peasants: Bailiff, Hedge Witch, Herbalist, Hunter, Miner, Mystic, Scout, Villager

Rangers: Bounty Hunter, Coachman, Entertainer, Flagellant, Messenger, Pedlar, Roadwarden, Witch Hunter

Riverfolk: Boatman, Huffer, Riverwoman, Riverwarden, Seaman, Smuggler, Stevedore, Wrecker

Rogues: Bawd, Charlatan, Fence, Grave Robber, Outlaw, Thief, Racketeer, Witch

Warriors: Cavalryman, Guard, Knight, Pit Fighter, Protagonist, Soldier, Troll Slayer, Warrior Priest

But looking at that list doesn’t provide the full scale of what’s on offer. Each of the Careers listed above has four levels, a concept that isn’t new to players of WFRP1, where the spellcasters also had 4 discrete levels. So you can see this in practice, let’s examine the Peasant Class, and have a look at what each Career contains:

The Witch, one of the new Rogue Careers.

Bailiff: Tax Collector, Bailiff, Reeve, Magistrate

Hedge Witch: Hedge Apprentice, Hedge Witch, Hedge Master, Hedgewise

Herbalist: Herb Gatherer, Herbalist, Herb Master, Herbwise

Hunter: Trapper, Hunter, Tracker, Huntsmaster

Miner: Prospector, Miner, Master Miner, Mine Foreman

Mystic: Fortune Teller, Mystic, Sage, Seer

Scout: Guide, Scout, Pathfinder, Explorer

Villager: Peasant, Villager, Councillor, Elder

As you can see, that’s 32 Career options from just the 8 Peasant Careers. Our goal here is to provide everything you will need for your WFRP games in the Reikland, the initial setting for the game. As we expand outwards, we plan to add different Careers and Career Levels to this mix to take into account local variances, and the various options specific to individual species and cultures in the Warhammer world.

So, that’s the Careers we have in the book. Now let’s take a look at what each Career offers.

The Apothecary, in all her glory.

To the right is the Apothecary career. There’s a lot of information to take in there. Rather than explain it all — we have to leave some secrets for when the book arrives — let’s discuss some of the key points.

Each Career comes with an Advance Scheme, which shows you the Characteristics you can improve more easily. The higher the level you achieve within your Career, the more Characteristics you can advance.

Under the Advance Scheme is the Career Path, which details the 4 levels of the Career. There are 4 key pieces of information here: Social Level, Skills, Talents, and Trappings.

Social Level: Your position in society is important in the Old World. Beside the name of each Career Level you’ll find a Social Level. For example, Apothecary’s Apprentice has a Social Level of Brass 3. This is used to modify social Tests, and to determine how much money you can earn when working.

Skills: Skills will be immediately familiar to players of WFRP2 and WFRP3, as they work in a similar fashion. This will be discussed further in a future preview.

Talents: Like Skills, Talents also work in a similar way to WFRP2 and WFRP3, but can be taken multiple times for additional benefits. More on this in a future preview, too.

Trappings: The typical equipment used by folk in the career. The list is far from exhaustive, and is also not restrictive, meaning individual GMs can tailor what they feel is required to move from one Career to the next.

For those used to WFRP1 and WFRP2, you may be wondering how Advances are taken in your Characteristics and your Skills. After all, there are no numbers or limits noted. WFRP3 players will be on slightly more familiar ground, but what’s presented here is still a significant departure to what you will be used to.

The Outlaw, the Career of choice for PCs on the run…

The answer to this lies at the heart of how WFRP4’s Career rules work, offering you unlimited Advancement in the Career of your choice. Yes, you read that correctly, there is no built-in limit to the number of times you Advance a Characteristic or a Skill. However, the higher you advance a Characteristic or Skill, the more Experience points it costs, and at higher levels, it’s expensive. So, if you are obsessive enough to try to achieve superhuman ability in one single thing, you can, and good luck to you! But everyone else will likely have a respectable all-round range of abilities while you are awesome at one thing, but pretty awful at everything else.

The primary benefit of removing caps is that you can stay in the same Career forever, constantly improving the Characteristics, Skills, and Talents on offer, becoming a true veteran of that field should that be your choice. Of course, you can also move up through the levels in your Career, accessing new Skills and Talents and improving your Social Status as you go. Or you can decide it’s time for a complete Career change, moving to an entirely different Career, which is easier to do if you stay in the same Class.

Ubersreik1200-1024x701.jpg

And that’s it for the Career preview. If you have any comments or questions, head over to our Facebook page, where we will have a member of our design team on hand.

We’ll be back next week with another preview and the latest news on the project, which is very near completion. The final parts of the rulebook have taken longer than planned when we put the pre-order live, but we are so very close to having the PDF ready for release! Keep an eye on us here and social media where we are maintaining an active presence, and we’ll keep you up-to-date.

Bailiff-1024x502.jpg

http://cubicle7.co.uk/

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I don't like the art - the beastman on the previous page was already a red flag, and this, while technically ok, doesn't look like Warhammer to me at all. It also lost the "Britishness", it could be from a Paizo product.

Lagi

Savant
I dont like what i see. "Fate & Fortune and Resilience & Resolve" - more artificial points to save your sorry ass.

WHM should be advertised more about "rules for wound infection", "rules for equipment damage", "rules for received maim", "rules for random encounter depends from smell of your food" - and all this should be super, archaic simple, like "read backwards your k100 dice from roll to hit and check in table how far away fly your left feet".
I would be happy for all new "syndroms", from all such glitches.

Beowulf

Arcane
I don't like the artstyle. It reminds me of comic books aesthetics, not of the Old World.
Signum temporis.

Andhaira

Arcane
Andhaira what about the fluff and what's the period the game is set in? Standard Karl Franz era?

The Old World, the time period of WFRP 1e. However, unlike 1e they don't give an overview of the entire old world (to be frank 1e had more old world lore in the enemy within campaign) but rather focus on the Reikland. C7 is aping their release of The One Ring, where they focus on a region at a time per sourcebook.

Anyhow, right now this preview edition has a lot of errors/typos etc, which folk have been giving C7 feedback on. Some mechanics also need more clarification and possibly more playtesting; hopefully all this is incorporated in the final release. If so it could be a great game, otherwise...

I personally have some reservations right now; I don't like that Attributes & Skills increase in increments of 1% rather than 5%/10% of WFRP 2e. I don't like the limited amount of spells for the Colleges and the larger number of General Spells (which were called lesser magic in 2e), I prefer the colleges have more options to diversify wizards. Hopefully this is fixed in a magic supplement. I lso don't like that career entries and exits are gone; they were quirky but that was the charm. The career paths now are more open.

I do like that you can be a Witch Hunter from the get go (apprentice witch hunter career) and there are a lot more talents this time around, especially focusing on combat which seems it will be brutal.

So lets wait and see for a bit.

hivemind

what do you think of la creatuer 56% showcased in the artwork as regular denizens of the empire?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
A friend gifted me the 4e Collector Edition, I hope I can repay that with some DM'ing in 2019.

Some things are really interesting, and they seem to build on 1st edition best ideas, which is great. Other rules I don't like much, like how they made every career multi-leveled allowing you to effectively ignore career changing and remain on your first career. I haven't read it end-to-end yet, but overall seems like a fast-paced game that would be fun to play and easy to learn for players, yet complex enough to allow interesting char development. The setting reboot is also a huge relief, I hated where it went with 2e and later and this allows using of some great material already there, like City of Chaos.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The starter set is also quite nice.
(And the art isn't as bad as originally feared - for example that atrocious beastman on the previous page isn't anywhere in the book, as far as I can tell.)

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Maybe because unit centered games sell more minis to nerds than skirmishers. :D

Shadenuat

Arcane
everyone needs their 4th D&D to realize they fucked up and wasted time when they already had everything.

hope AoS burns.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They are pitching it as the Horus Heresy for AoS and say its release is still more than 2-3 years away.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The difference is that unlike Heresy people would probably play this.

Modelwise, Heresy was mostly a Forge World line, so not really mainstream. For Warhammer, you'll be able to use your collection (and maybe even some adapted / rebased AoS models).

Tiger

Learned
Realised they fucked up killing off the old world just before so much interest was generated for it with Total Warhammer. Now see a way to get some dolla bills out of it.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Also if anyone would like to do a PBP, I wouldn't mind. I just need at least 3 takers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom