Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkest Hour: Europe '44-'45

Darkest Hour: Europe ‘44-’45 is a World War 2 online multiplayer tactical shooter based on Tripwire Interactive’s award winning game Red Orchestra: Ostfront. Initially starting life as a humble modification, the game has since grown and evolved into one of the most formidable and intense World War 2 shooter experiences available on any platform.

The game boasts an impressive roster of content, a unique squad and construction system, and five playable nations. Darklight Games continues to develop and improve on the game, incorporating and iterating on the best designs and ideas from its contemporaries.

Oh, did we mention that it’s free?

MAIN_FEATURES.png

• Five playable nations (Germany, United States of America, The Soviet Union, United Kingdom and Canada)
  • Brave over 80 authentic battles from the shores of Normandy, to the ruins of Berlin
  • Flinch as bullets whip and crack over your head with our terrifying suppression system
  • Pull the trigger on dozens of iconic weapons
  • Crew over 30 fearsome armored vehicles including late-war heavy hitters like the M18 Hellcat and King Tiger

SQUADS_AND_RALLY_POINTS.png

Darkest Hour now has a unique and fully-fledged Squad and Rally Point system that keeps you and your comrades fighting, maneuvering and communicating together to crush your enemies and achieve victory.

• Communicate using dedicated squad VOIP and text channels
  • Use the situation map to coordinate your men with squad orders and enemy position markers
  • Use fire and manoeuvre signals to coordinate your nearby squad-mates
  • Keep your men in the fight with well-placed squad rally points

CONSTRUCTIONS_AND_LOGISTICS.png

Grab a shovel and build a formidable defense with new player-built constructions!

• Stonewall the enemy with an array of obstacles including Hedgehogs and Concertina Wire
  • Dig in with sandbags bunkers and foxholes
  • Provide a team-wide spawn point by establishing a Platoon HQ
  • Keep your team supplied with extra ammunition and grenades
  • Deploy anti-tank guns to the front to stop enemy armor in it's tracks
  • Use logistics trucks to keep building supplies flowing to the front lines

^ copied that from its steam page. I also wasted 'bout 3,000 hours on this mod.

I'd say it's pretty cool.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Eugh what a gut punch, this used to be me and my friend's go to shooter even though I sucked ballz at it (or rather, the core of people who played this were too good at this game, being able to spy you out at incredible distances and 1 shot you within 0.0000000000000001 sec of sighting a pixel of your character, again at distances even superman would be strainning to make out) simply because of its atmosphere and how much more "real" it was compared to more arcadey ww2 fps games. But fortunately being an extra body and trying to stay alive was a valid way of playing. as was spending 10 mins to crawl around sneakily around the flanks to get a good position to get some surprise kills and then have the enemy scramble trying to track you down and stop your commando rampage.
Vehicles were super fun too.

Then the big update happened, utterly ruined the game for us. Went from a game where you had to deploy from preselected locations and then make your way to the front (on some maps this was quite a distance so would need to be driven there), to one where the meta seemed to be have some mofo sneak behind and then deploy a rally point so people can spawn from there, made it arcadey as fuck.
New spawning system really put us off and I remember my friends bitching about something they did to vehicles too.

Good to see this mod still going strong though, just a shame it will never be like how I used to love it.

Latro

Arcane
yeah, I played this for a bit and had a lot of fun until it seems the old modders left it to a new mod team who incorporated some RO2 features. i wouldn't call the new version bad, just different, but the entire point of the mod was to do what tripwire don't, so...

Eugh what a gut punch, this used to be me and my friend's go to shooter even though I sucked ballz at it (or rather, the core of people who played this were too good at this game, being able to spy you out at incredible distances and 1 shot you within 0.0000000000000001 sec of sighting a pixel of your character, again at distances even superman would be strainning to make out) simply because of its atmosphere and how much more "real" it was compared to more arcadey ww2 fps games. But fortunately being an extra body and trying to stay alive was a valid way of playing. as was spending 10 mins to crawl around sneakily around the flanks to get a good position to get some surprise kills and then have the enemy scramble trying to track you down and stop your commando rampage.
Vehicles were super fun too.

Then the big update happened, utterly ruined the game for us. Went from a game where you had to deploy from preselected locations and then make your way to the front (on some maps this was quite a distance so would need to be driven there), to one where the meta seemed to be have some mofo sneak behind and then deploy a rally point so people can spawn from there, made it arcadey as fuck.
New spawning system really put us off and I remember my friends bitching about something they did to vehicles too.

Good to see this mod still going strong though, just a shame it will never be like how I used to love it.

Well things are a bit different now, and in addition, there's still the push gamemode (no rallies or logistics).

As for advance, there's a new mechanic called "Danger Zone". Basically, if you set up a rally behind the enemy's lines, they'll be able to see it on the map and the rally will have reduced spawns and longer re spawn timers.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Well things are a bit different now.

Hum then it might be worth checking it for me to check it out again, push seems like it caters to those who don't like the new changes but from what I remember of DH servers there was usually just one server with people so guess gotta hope push is what's being played when I'm around.

Danger zone mechanic ain't my cup of tea though, I just despise the rallying system full stop so slight changes to it won't remedy that I'm afraid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom