Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

Just now seeing they had the reveal for this. I'm not sure how this is meant to work in America given how shit our internet is, and I've not heard anything about anyone having plans to give our internet infrastructure the major overhaul it needs. I can see this working really well in places like Japan (and some European countries) though.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I don't even like streaming movies.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/i-hate-your-digital-only-future.126668/

Can't believe how positive the reception is. People have such low standards. 4K streams already look poor compressed to speeds of only like 20 mbps, and now that they're combining this with games they want to add input lag to every action, as well as delayed picture, when internet service providers in the United States are buying out their competition, making deals to stay out of each other's areas, which allows them to deliver a product that is only standard and has monthly bandwidth caps. The Netflix age disgusts me. Subscribers sacrifice so much for convenience. Who gives a shit about how graphically powerful the server is when the game plays like shit?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I don't even like streaming movies.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/i-hate-your-digital-only-future.126668/

Can't believe how positive the reception is. People have such low standards. 4K streams already look poor compressed to speeds of only like 20 mbps, and now that they're combining this with games they want to add input lag to every action, as well as delayed picture, when internet service providers in the United States are buying out their competition, making deals to stay out of each other's areas, which allows them to deliver a product that is only standard and has monthly bandwidth caps. The Netflix age disgusts me. Subscribers sacrifice so much for convenience. Who gives a shit about how graphically powerful the server is when the game plays like shit?

It's been a long time.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
15gfe69.jpg

RapineDel

Augur
Only positive to awful internet in some countries like mine is it ensures crap like this isn't feasible.

I can see them getting away with it in modern single player where half the game is a movie anyway with barely any player input, in anything multiplayer focused this would be a complete mess though.

I hate the layout of the DualShock so much, the two joysticks side by side, and this basically looks like a DualShock controller. The left joystick goes on top, Sega figured this out on the Saturn in 1996, and Microsoft and Nintendo have been copying it ever since.

Kind of surprised they don't have some kind of mouse and keyboard kind of combo to show off with the same functions as the control.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
This shit will be using 20gb per HOUR.
Christ. They severely misunderstand what kind of connections people have in the world, and with the only interested markets for something like this being the United States and Britain which both have god awful connections for massive portions of the population, this is sure to fail.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The criticisim of Stadia revolving about poor Internet bandwidth in a lot of areas are on point, but only for the time being.
Google is attempting a complete paradigm shift and I have little doubt that all of us in this topic will have, within time, bandwidth to play on Stadia.

I do not like it more than you do ; I believe in itself that it is a very initeresting thing (although the environmental impact is going to be horrible, and that is something Google must address) ; what annoys me the most is the fact that they are showing it as a platform to develop for. What this basically means is Stadia exclusives ; it's not complementary to the PC we use, it's a direct competitor. While the service offered is nice, they are indeed competing for wiithholding your right to a copy of the game.

This is fundamentally different than Netflix or Spotify, whose streams can be ripped, archived, and backed up whatever they come up with, if needed be. Also different from Gog and even Steam where you keep a copy of the game somewhere and even hell, crack it if needs be.

This is a nightmare in terms of digital archivism and conversation. I use, and am happy with, Playstation Now! but that is under the basis it's 'cheap and convenient' and also because I know there is an alternative : owning the damn game. Like most of us, I hope it doesn't take off, but I sure believe it willl.

Do no evil, my ass.

Last edited:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
AMD/Lisa Su pulled a blinder with this.

That's a sizable In-roads into Nvidias data centre market. The Improved yields from the increased production of Vega/HBM2 alone is massive.
Vega is a baseline, but those server blade GPU's will inevitably be swapped with the console Navi.

Higher production = Higher yields = Better silicon with higher clocks for the PC Enthusiast market.

abija

Prophet
Incoming design papers on how to build your action game around 100ms input delay. There will be beautiful ideas like limiting turn speed so the game feels more realistic or using longer animations for basic actions (think witcher 3 movement start/stop). Maybe they'll come with impressive innovations like triggering bullet time whenever an enemy shoots you from behind, or making the enemies alert you, wait 2s, then prepare to shoot.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I have little doubt that all of us in this topic will have, within time, bandwidth to play on Stadia.
I already have the bandwidth. What I don't have is enough healthy nerves to spare to play with a 500ms input lag.

ZeniBot

Cipher
The criticisim of Stadia revolving about poor Internet bandwidth in a lot of areas are on point, but only for the time being.
Google is attempting a complete paradigm shit and I have little doubt that all of us in this topic will have, within time, bandwidth to play on Stadia.

By the time it actually gets to that point, Hardware will be so ridiculously cheap and powerful that streaming will be pointless.
Even mobile phones will eventually surpassed the hardware limitations of this system in time. This is just a service for lazy people, it'll kill the console market yes but it will never be a substitute for a PC.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As it happens, I've tried Nvidia's streaming service (through a relative's account), and I was surprised to find that there was no noticeable input lag whatsoever, and I played a real-time shooter to boot. Now, I'm not the best judge of these things, as I'm far from a hardcore online FPSist, and obviously this doesn't sound feasible for those types of games, but for single-player and slower-paced online games I see no issue unless Google's servers are markedly worse than Nvidia's. I know this takes things even further in the direction of "games as a service", but personally I have no issue with that, just like I have no issue with Netflix, as long as there are alternatives. Unless this results in a lot of streaming-exclusive deals for games I'd want to own, it sounds like a good thing to me.

Edit: I seem to have misunderstood some things. This is a new console?

Edit edit: my original post stands, then.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Even third world portugal has 100/100 mb networks everywhere, its almost standard for all new tv/landline contracts, i figure that most of europe is mostly the same.

Not needing an expensive console or expensive pc hardware to run games at 1080p, 4k and 8k games at 60/120 fps will change the entire market if they can pull it off, meaning it runs well and has all the multiplatform big releases.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The entire problem about technical issues is irrelevant; they WILL be solved. In 5 years. In 10 years. And while they still remain, there will be alternatives because free market.

Video Streaming, Youtube, Netflix were hard to imagine from a feasability standpoint 20 years ago.

You need to think about the long term impact of this service, and this is what is actually worrying.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Google has listened, and heard all your concerns, that is why we are partnering with every ISP to help roll out new data servers to harvest, errr, provide service to every slave, umm, person on the planet.

We also decided to shorten out motto. Google, Be Evil!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Even third world portugal has 100/100 mb networks everywhere, its almost standard for all new tv/landline contracts, i figure that most of europe is mostly the same.

Not needing an expensive console or expensive pc hardware to run games at 1080p, 4k and 8k games at 60/120 fps will change the entire market if they can pull it off, meaning it runs well and has all the multiplatform big releases.
Portugal, and most of Europe has great and cheap internet connection, but you wouldn't believe how unreliable the internet is in other countrues, especially in the US. And good luck streaming 8K games at 60+ fps with these connections.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
AMD/Lisa Su pulled a blinder with this.

That's a sizable In-roads into Nvidias data centre market. The Improved yields from the increased production of Vega/HBM2 alone is massive.
Vega is a baseline, but those server blade GPU's will inevitably be swapped with the console Navi.

Higher production = Higher yields = Better silicon with higher clocks for the PC Enthusiast market.

"she sold things she's a genius"

Yeah there's a reason they didn't publicly announce *how much* they sold them for

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom