Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

PrettyDeadman

"Doom Slayer" sounds retarded. When and who made that up?
I think it was made for nuDoom when nuDoom designer realized that Doom Guy doesn't sound cool enough to nugamers.

"Doom Slayer" sounds retarded. When and who made that up?
I think it was made for nuDoom when nuDoom designer realized that Doom Guy doesn't sound cool enough to nugamers.
Might've been back when they were trying to make it more grimdark and serious, too. IIRC they mentioned the shift into humor came pretty late in development so they might've already written up a bunch of "Doom Slayer" fluff and decided to keep it and just make Doom Guy not give a shit about any of it since the player doesn't either. You can even (Kind of) see it when you compare the pre-release screenshots where everything's brown and you've got brown cacodemons compared to release where they're red/blue/green.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

Once long ago there was a dimension known as the Aether, a place where human-like beings lived with three ancient beings known as "The Wraiths", the Doom Slayer (his previous name not mentioned) was the leader of the protectors of this dimension and the wraiths known as the "Knight Sentinels". During one of the battles in the defense of the Aether from Hell the Betrayers' son was killed in action. Wracked with grief at the loss of his son, the Betrayer made a deal with a lowly Hell priest who promised to bring him back to life, all the Betrayer would have to do is show him the way to The Wraiths. After finding the Wraiths, the Hell priest put them to sleep and as promised returned his son to him, but in the form of a demon. Then the Hell priest joined Hell with Ardent D'Nur by summoning a well and calling upon the Icon of Sin to bring about the destruction of the Knight Sentinels and their world.

:whatho:

Shit looks like it was written by a 12-year old.

The UAC’s most remarkable discovery was in Hell’s Kadingir Sanctum. Surrounded by nearly impassable terrain, the team discovered a sealed tomb – its entrance and walls covered in protective runes and imprisonment incantations.

The tomb revealed many artifacts, including the Praetor suit. Most notable, however, was an enormous sarcophagus bound to the center bedrock of the tomb with thick iron bands – seemingly anchored to prevent anything from getting in or out.

It was believed this sarcophagus must hold a rare or powerful demon, but when later opened, it revealed the body of a man. Unrelenting; unforgiving; driven by a rage that cannot be contained. The Doom Slayer has been to Hell and brought it to its knees. He has no records, and he seems to vanish as quickly as he appears. The few witness accounts available detail a ruthless killer.[1]

Long ago across worlds and time, in another universe, Doom Slayer (B.J. Blazkowicz III) had become a great hero when he saved earth from an invasion by demons from hell. He continued to carry the left hind foot of his pet rabbit Daisy, killed by the marauding demons when their invasion of Earth began. He carried it as a reminder of innocence lost, not for luck--after all, it wasn't lucky for Daisy[2]. The armor he wore became iconic, and it changed the world.[3]

At some point the wide-eyed Doom Marine, found himself again newly transferred to Mars, the soldier got more than he asked for when Dr. Betruger betrayed the UAC.[4]

During his battles to protect Earth, he found himself trapped in hell fighting an eternal battle with the demons. He would travel across time and worlds to save the multiverse. Sometimes finding himself pulled to battle other Champions from other worlds and alternate earths in the Arena Eternal (in this earlier period, he received new armor, that fit like a glove).[5]. He continued to be a great champion defending many worlds from the demons and killing them in Hell.

The Slayer's Testaments described him as an ancient and mystical time-traveling warrior called the "Doom Slayer" or "Hell Walker" who was either banished to Hell or chose to stay there. The Doom Marine proceeded to rampage his way across Hell for "eons" as an unstoppable force of death and destruction, becoming an icon of fear to all demons.

His one-man war was only ended after he was lured into a trap, allowing the forces of Hell to collapse one of their temples on top of him. Entombed inside a stone sarcophagus, he was sealed away in the Kadingir Sanctum, hopefully forever. Unfortunately for the demons, the Doom Marine's sarcophagus was eventually retrieved by the UAC (on one of the alternate earths) and brought back to Mars. Sure enough, after Hell commences its invasion of Mars, the Doom Marine awakens as bloody-minded as ever. He then arms himself with a pistol, reclaims his Praetor Suit and begins to fight the hordes of hell once more. After he saves Earth, he is captured by Hayden and put into stasis again, while the scientist prepared his next plans.

With regards to Quake canon Champions games are a prequel to the Arena games (Quake III Arena/Live). Though with regards to when the Doom Marine was pulled into the Arena Eternal are roughly switched chronologically. That is that Doom Slayer entered into the Arena Eternal during the earlier Champions competition, whereas an earlier incarnation code-named "Doom" entered in the later Arena competitions.

Looks like :shitposting:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Don't care about the lore, but i liked Doomslayer's personality and how he doesn't care about the story - he's just here to kick demon asses.

I think the sound design in nuDoom might actually be the worst part of the game. Not only the pitiful sound of the weapons themselves, but the heavily compressed soundtrack (?) that's absolutely indistinguishable from ambient noise and the monster sounds that are completely forgettable. I could have looked past the sloppy level design and mind-numbing arena-style fights if only the sound were decent, but no.

Last edited:

Swigen

Arbiter
Pretty excited about this. Happy to see they’re dropping the dubstep / djent soundtrack and the bullshit “arenas” with all the jump pads in the middle of nowhere that don’t make any fucking sense. I just knew if I was patient they’d bring back the creepy horror atmosphere of Doom 3.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Pretty excited about this. Happy to see they’re dropping the dubstep / djent soundtrack and the bullshit “arenas” with all the jump pads in the middle of nowhere that don’t make any fucking sense. I just knew if I was patient they’d bring back the creepy horror atmosphere of Doom 3.

Not sure what you've been smoking man, but Eternal looks the same garbage to me as Doom 2016.

Swigen

Arbiter

Not sure what you've been smoking man, but Eternal looks the same garbage to me as Doom 2016.

Yeeeaah... it does. :( Was hoping they would change it up some. Doom was alright but after the 90th heart you grab... *gay music wells up* “ohhohoho, now u have to fight 17 imps instead of 10!!” bullshit... was just hoping for something different.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I can't wait. Then the Bethfags can compare Outer Worlds to Starfield, everyone flames each other to death, then we can repeat the whole thing over again next year.

ironmask

Arbiter
I wonder how sjw wolfenstein: young blood is going to be. Maybe it will top the new colossus.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Look at that: actual environmental hazards and deeper integration of platforming with combat. Holy shit, sure took them long enough.

Also Doomguy grunts again now.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
The game is incredibly annoying both visually and aurally. Overindulgent amounts of detail across the board, especially in regards to the weapon designs, coupled with a constant bombardment of indistinguishable explosions sounds beneath that dub metal soundtrack. I've never wanted to tell a video game to shut the fuck up before.

Cross

Arcane
You forgot the game's biggest visual sin: the color palette, or rather, the lack thereof.

PZx6Ul3.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Look at that: actual environmental hazards and deeper integration of platforming with combat. Holy shit, sure took them long enough.

Also Doomguy grunts again now.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Still no level design.

Still playing the game with a controller.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Looks alright, bar the annoying soundtrack.

I am slightly puzzled at the movement and platforming though, it looks like a weirdo version of Demonsteele more than classical Doom. NuDoom was already more Brutal Doom than classical Doom in any case, but first-person platforming was never a priority and it's never good to start with.

You forgot the game's biggest visual sin: the color palette, or rather, the lack thereof.

Compare to every other shooter around bar the "cutesy art" style Doom 2016 is fairly colourful. Having a too bright colour palette could be bad, particularly considering what comes out of contemporary games with a too.... "colourful" art style. The balance of Doom 2016 wasn't perfect, but like the entire game it was good enough.

Doom3 design-wise was a complete at utter disaster. It wanted to be Half-Life and it failed utterly at being both a Half-Life clone and a Doom clone. It wasn't even creepy due to botched mechanics.

Athmosphere and graphical design were top-notch, but that's pretty much it. It Doom 3 was a survival horror, it would have been far better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom