Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds goes Epic Games Store-exclusive (also Windows Store)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lower cut of what?

Of the revenues, duh.
You don't say. Now if you were to guess, what % of the gaming market Epic has? I'd say 5%, 10% at best, hence my question. I would be surprised if Steam accounted for less than 80-85% of PoE sales, so 70% of that is a hell of a lot more than 88% of 5-10%. I'm guessing they hope that people want these exclusive games so bad they will come over to Epic, all 85 fucking percent, and nothing of value will be lost but I don't think it's very likely.

Whatever Epic offers them instead of Steam's 30%. But they don't need Epic's money up front or "guaranteed sales" or whatnot, that would be absurd.
Why then?

Sadly it also makes a lot of business sense since the game is on UE4 so it's 65% vs 88%
If the market shares were equal, sure, that would be a no-brainer indeed, but they aren't.

passerby

Arcane
Lower cut of what?

Of the revenues, duh. Whatever Epic offers them instead of Steam's 30%. But they don't need Epic's money up front or "guaranteed sales" or whatnot, that would be absurd.

It's easy to break down:

Steam: first 10M$ - 30%, 10-50M$ - 25%, everything sold after 50M$ mark - 20%, if we assume 2M units on PC half of witch close to full price, we can estimate steam cut at around 25%
Epic: 12% and 5% Unreal licence fee is free for units sold on Epic. So overall it's 18% more profit.
On top of that, there is undisclosed exclusivity deal, which probably involves huge unit sales guarantee, paid from Epic pocket, even if the game is a flop.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a 2K published game, Obsidian has no say on this.

It's their IP and they have Microsoft in their corner. There are times when it's plausible to stick up for Obsidian, this is probably not one of them

jf8350143

Liturgist
How long till the GDC upate happening? It's midnight here and I'm wondering should I go to sleep or wait for the shit show.

Tovias

Learned
You assume that having your game sold by Walmart is different than Tesco and customers will ignore product if it is sold in Tesco instead of Walmart. People go for product and price mostly not for bullshit around that.

Steam matters less for AAA than for indie. MHW didn't sell 5mln because it was on steam. IT sold 5mln because people wanted it.
Not only is that a terrible analogy, it also has nothing to do with what you quoted.
It won't. And epic games has no intention to help developer in any shape of form in the first place. They are just use all those fancy talks to cover the fact that they are protecting the interest of the publishers, not the devs.
I fear that hella EPIC games might be right about developers deciding the path of the industry, clearly gamers are among the dumbest consumers out there and will probably ignore all the negative outcomes of supporting EPIC and their shaddy practices.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I am screaming internally right now. This has to be a false rumor, right? RIGHT??

HOW COULD THEY DO THIS. I TRUSTED THEM!!!

j/k I'll pirate it

Perkel

Arcane
Not only is that a terrible analogy, it also has nothing to do with what you quoted.

Actually it does because poster assumes that store is more important than content it has.
This is why i used Tesco/Walmart analogy to point how ridiculous argument is
because you would never argue where you buy your favorite yogurt and you would look at your friend who argues that you shouldn't eat your favorite yogurt because this yogurt is sold only in Walmart like a fucking idiot.

jf8350143

Liturgist
A while back, I made a post in this thread saying"l hope it's not a epic game exclusive."

Hey, guess I'm a oracle now.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Now I'll wait for the Mortal Kombat 11 to go epic game exclusive, so I can offically confirm that there won't be any game I'm looking forward to play this year.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PCGamesN post is up: https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-outer-worlds/the-outer-worlds-epic-games-store

Epic store bags a dozen more exclusives including The Outer Worlds
the-outer-worlds-edgewater-580x334.jpg

Epic Games has announced several new games exclusively to its storefront. The company revealed more than a dozen exclusive releases “coming soon” to its storefront at its keynote address at the Games Developers Conference in San Francisco earlier today.

The most notable exclusive is likely to be The Outer Worlds. The space-faring RPG, currently being developed by Obsidian, the team behind Fallout: New Vegas, will launch exclusively on Epic’s store as part of a partnership with Take-Two Interactive. There’s still no word on a The Outer Worlds release date, or whether this will be a full or timed exclusive.

Other exclusives titles include Remedy’s Control, which we got our first look at last summer, during E3 2018, and Afterparty, the new booze-soaked narrative adventure from Night School Studios, best known for 2016’s Oxenfree. Elsewhere, Epic revealed more information about the exclusive release of Phoenix Point – which developer Snapshot Games announced for themselves last week – as well as the Dauntless developer’s decision to move its game from its own launcher on to Epic’s.

Epic’s keynote also revealed information on its ongoing partnership with Ubisoft, player counts, and its efforts to bring console exclusives to PC.

Information on The Outer Worlds is a little scarce. We’re expecting a launch later this year, and we know that while a VATS-like system is in, getting it on with your companions is out. Now that the deal with Epic is out in the open, hopefully we’ll find out a little more in the coming months.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
That the deal encompasses both Ancestors and Outer Worlds indicates that this was a Private Division/Take Two initiative. So, at least this wasn't Obsidian's idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom