Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
kgroltwwzjz5.jpg

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just a little anecdote about what recently happened to me. I don't care about video game journalism in the slightest and considered the hatred towards it around here towards it to be mostly memes out of control, but I guess I'll have to reconsider now.

So, I was on tour recently and we played at a smaller club in a medium-sized town. The Bar owner was an older, true rocknroll type of guy who shared lots of 'war stories' of his time in the 70's in great britain, with who he had been on tour and what not, etc... Really entertaining and charismatic guy, fun to listen to. At one point he and a female employee starts going through a list of new video games and do what seems like trading steam codes. Out of curiosity, I ask what it's about.
Turns out the dude is also a freelance writer and in charge of the video game resort of a national monthly lifestyle magazine. However, he doesn't play games anymore for, like, 10 years or more already. Says he figured out how games work long ago. Instead, he watches youtube footage of games he's about to review while he's at work and later writes down what he saw in the videos, rephrased as if it was from his own experience. Thus, he doesn't redeem the codes he receives from devs and publishers and rather gifts them to coworkers.

Surely most of you will now think "So what? We knew that all along". But it's really astonishing to have that confirmed from the very mouth of one of those 'gaming journos' without the slightest hint of shame.

sullynathan

Arcane
I don't understand; wasn't there already a PC port of Halo? I remember playing Halo on PC, with mouse and keyboard.
Halo & Halo 2 were ported to PC years ago, great ports by the way, that's how I played them. This new Halo is Halo 1, 2, 3, 4, Reach & ODST. 1 & 2 were completely remade and at the same time allow you to play them in he same way they originally were.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Just a little anecdote about what recently happened to me. I don't care about video game journalism in the slightest and considered the hatred towards it around here towards it to be mostly memes out of control, but I guess I'll have to reconsider now.

So, I was on tour recently and we played at a smaller club in a medium-sized town. The Bar owner was an older, true rocknroll type of guy who shared lots of 'war stories' of his time in the 70's in great britain, with who he had been on tour and what not, etc... Really entertaining and charismatic guy, fun to listen to. At one point he and a female employee starts going through a list of new video games and do what seems like trading steam codes. Out of curiosity, I ask what it's about.
Turns out the dude is also a freelance writer and in charge of the video game resort of a national monthly lifestyle magazine. However, he doesn't play games anymore for, like, 10 years or more already. Says he figured out how games work long ago. Instead, he watches youtube footage of games he's about to review while he's at work and later writes down what he saw in the videos, rephrased as if it was from his own experience. Thus, he doesn't redeem the codes he receives from devs and publishers and rather gifts them to coworkers.

Surely most of you will now think "So what? We knew that all along". But it's really astonishing to have that confirmed from the very mouth of one of those 'gaming journos' without the slightest hint of shame.

it was me

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

This week we bring you a very special Let's Play of city-building classic Caesar 3, starring the Lead Designer from then Impressions Games - Simon Bradbury. While our new Online MMO Romans: Age of Caesar is deep in Alpha testing, we thought we would turn back the clocks to the time of the floppy disks & CRT monitors in search of the strategy gaming legacy of Firefly Studios & our new Roman title.

So whether you are an old school player who enjoyed the glory of the first golden age of city simulation games, or a game dev looking for the differences between making games as a lone freelancer vs a studio head, Legacy of Caesar has you covered!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I don't understand; wasn't there already a PC port of Halo? I remember playing Halo on PC, with mouse and keyboard.
yeah but since then there were borked ports of japanese games, like Souls (and similar) that had terrible kb+m control, or no mouse support at all (Nioh) that started this meme.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
yeah but since then there were borked ports of japanese games, like Souls (and similar) that had terrible kb+m control, or no mouse support at all (Nioh) that started this meme.

:what:

How are you supposed to play it then if you don't own one of those shitty baby toys called controllers?

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With a keyboard. And it was terrible. They patched in mouse support eventually though, dunno how good it is.

Should also note the Dark Souls ports play mostly fine with kb+m, the first one being the worst by far, but the remaster improves things in this regard.

Gerrard

Arcane
Turns out Ultima 7 turns into an isometric game if you rotate it.

M1QJ2Co.png

Original:
pB3nUKS.jpg
It's also scaled down vertically. If you just rotate it 45 degrees it looks stretched.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom