Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds goes Epic Games Store-exclusive (also Windows Store)

Codex Year of the Donut
Codex Year of the Donut
I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft attempts to intervene and get the publisher to relinquish control after the backlash they've received tbh.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft attempts to intervene and get the publisher to relinquish control after the backlash they've received tbh.

Hopefully. Thats the only thing that can migate the damage done.

Would be ultimate irony though. Game about greedy big corporations gets saved by big corporation.

Arulan

Cipher
It doesn't matter what the revenue share is. This is happening because they're throwing large bags of money at publishers.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I have no problem with Epic competition to Steam. BUT. We are talking about Epic who ranted for YEARS about how exclusives are bad and harming gaming industry. And now they are on a "bribing" spree presenting themselves as some kin of benevolent force of holy competition, without actually providing one. They are not reducing their prices, they just hog games and bribe developers. I have no problem with devs chosing better deal with more money - that would be foolish, but it is Epic's actions that irritate me. It is not competition, it is robber barons.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I have no problem with Epic competition to Steam. BUT. We are talking about Epic who ranted for YEARS about how exclusives are bad and harming gaming industry. And now they are on a "bribing" spree presenting themselves as some kin of benevolent force of holy competition, without actually providing one. They are not reducing their prices, they just hog games and bribe developers. I have no problem with devs chosing better deal with more money - that would be foolish, but it is Epic's actions that irritate me. It is not competition, it is robber barons.

I can kinda understand where they are coming from. They never planned to have a store. Then they got lucky, but realized that won't work forever. But if they got the Fortnite audience to continually buy from them, that would be massive. So placeholder store with predatory market penetration. I would have done the same in their position

msxyz

Augur
Isn't what Epic is doing a sort of Dumping or -at least- predatory business practices? If that is the case, and taking into account also that the Epic client is datamining Steam (and God knows what else), Valve should have a solid case against Epic at least in the EU

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I can kinda understand where they are coming from. They never planned to have a store. Then they got lucky, but realized that won't work forever. But if they got the Fortnite audience to continually buy from them, that would be massive. So placeholder store with predatory market penetration. I would have done the same in their position
Buying developers to place their games on their store won't work forever. Sooner or later they'll have to ad functionality so now they are living on a borrowed time. Outer Worlds looks and feels like New Vegas\Skyrim and we all know what that means - mods. Epic store have next to no mod integration. Bethesda's cancerous desire to lock mods to their own software proved to be disastrous.
Should Epic Store fail to add "workshop" analog Outer Worlds will suffer greatly

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Isn't what Epic is doing a sort of Dumping or -at least- predatory business practices? If that is the case, and taking into account also that the Epic client is datamining Steam (and God knows what else), Valve should have a solid case against Epic at least in the EU
It is the opposite of Dumping - they cancel regional prices, they do not reduce prices. They just lock releases to their store.

axedice

Cipher
Steam is a monopolistic parasite that takes 30% of every sale, yet you swear to defend it to your last torrent. Fucking sheep.

Bribing publishers for exclusivity deals is not opposing monopoly though. A more customer friendly approach would have been offering the game 5-10% discount over Steam that would only effect Epic's cut. Thats the way to "win" customers over an established monopol, not turning PC-Gaming into a console exclusivity shithole.

Fuck Epic, fuck private division. Fuck them to hell and beyond. It is so sad to wait for a Cain Boyarsky collaboration for almost 20 years, then see all their hardwork thrown into trash by yet another publisher

:negative:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was almost disappointed by this news, good thing that the game looks meh, that its made by Obsidian and that I never planned to play in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom