Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HOW

boot

Prophet
my... journey?

I'll leave computer magic to the computer wizards from now on. Way out of my league here. I wish all the best to the Codexers who into game development.

d1nolore

Savant
Did you learn to code or script. Did you do any graphics stuff? What programs did you try?

boot

Prophet
I have knowledge of coding and scripting, I don't think that was the problem.

Graphics stuff- like drawing? No. I was gonna use SRPG studio cause I didn't mind the assets.

Programs is a broad term. I tried many things, but in the end I can't sit down and do the work. I have no patience for it. I did write a story and sketch out battle sequences and things like that, but getting it onto a computer is tough. The programs are bottlenecks I can't force everything through. I'm no good for this stuff, but I did enjoy the writing. Was a story drawing on Old Testament stories, was going to call it Broken Blade (symbol of mercy).

d1nolore

Savant
I have knowledge of coding and scripting, I don't think that was the problem.

Graphics stuff- like drawing? No. I was gonna use SRPG studio cause I didn't mind the assets.

Programs is a broad term. I tried many things, but in the end I can't sit down and do the work. I have no patience for it. I did write a story and sketch out battle sequences and things like that, but getting it onto a computer is tough. The programs are bottlenecks I can't force everything through. I'm no good for this stuff, but I did enjoy the writing. Was a story drawing on Old Testament stories, was going to call it Broken Blade (symbol of mercy).

What was your experience like with SRPG studio? Care to share any of your writing? And what happened to your project?

boot

Prophet
SRPG studio... I liked the audio and the tilesets were ok. There is a very good tileset rip taking from THRACIA 776 on Serenes Forest that I used in it. It's for making Fire Emblem clones and I like Fire Emblem. I'd recommend SRPG studio but be wary of Steam updates and keep backups somewhere Steam cannot reach.

My writing I won't share. The project is on my computer. Scripts have somehow been altered and much of the work I did on them is gone. Most of it was on altering combat calculations, I spent a lot of time fine tuning that.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I love the tenacity to dig up dead threads and necro them for a follow-up. So long as this thread is back, let me add my two cents:
  • Pick an engine. Any engine. Doesn't matter. Install it and run it. Whatever it's supposed to do right out of the box, get it to do that.
  • Change/customize one thing. Any one thing. Doesn't matter what. Get it to print "Hello, world!" on the screen or in the log when you start the default level. Or change your default running speed. Or put a tree in the default blank level. Doesn't matter what you do, so long as you do something that customizes it so it's your game.
  • Now, change or customize something else. Then change something else. Then something else. If you don't know how to change that specific thing, Google it or watch a tutorial or ask a specific question on a forum. Repeat that for as long as it takes until you've learned to use your game engine.
The choice of engine can change what your first steps are. With some bare-bones engines, the first thing you have to do might be opening a window on your screen. Or if it already opens a window on your screen, then draw a triangle on it. The point is, find out where the beginning is and start there.

If it's 2D or 3D art, the basic idea is the same. For 2D art my recommendation would be this:
  • Pick a drawing program. Any program. Doesn't matter. Install it and run it.
  • Pick a drawing tablet. Any tablet. Doesn't matter. Plug it in and get it to move your mouse pointer.
  • In your drawing program, with your drawing tablet, draw a circle. Doesn't have to be a good circle, just a rough approximation of a circle. Now save it and import it into your game so that you can see your crappy circle in your crappy game.
  • Now go back to your drawing program and draw something else. Then draw something else. Then something else. If you don't know how to draw it, Google it or watch a tutorial or ask a specific question on a forum. Repeat that for as long as it takes until you've learned to draw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom