Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds goes Epic Games Store-exclusive (also Windows Store)

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Please explain to me, in clear terms, how Steam is not a "market leader" and is in fact, a "monopoly".

Nowadays we might have alternative stores slowly emerging, but e.g. Origin was released 10 years after Steam! And while there might have been other stores like Direct2Drive around at the time, guess what, if you wanted to play MP hit Counter-Strike or SP hit Half-Life 2 you had no choice as these were exclusive on Steam! It's pretty much the same thing Epic is doing now, using the player base of Fortnite as the start...

No, that's wrong. Half-Life 2 was literally funded and produced by Valve. Valve purchased CS and then spent money + time fixing and refining it.

I have literally no problem with a company making games and putting them exclusively on their platform, which is not what epic is doing.

Epic games is literally going to games that have reasonable hype, dropping a bucket of money on their desks, and buying exclusivity for year. If Epic had funded TOW, if Epic had funded Phoenix Point, etc, I wouldn't care.

See, I wish Nintendo would put their games on PC. But they won't and that's fine, and to facilitate sales of their shitty hardware, they make quality software. If Epic Games was churning out top-tier, 10/10 titles exclusive to their store, fine. Buying temporary exclusivity is not that.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
It's not like Gaben forced them to include mandatory Steam codes in physical releases, devs themselves wanted to have their games "protected" by Steam.

I doubt that. There were other protection means around at the time from SecuROM to SafeDisk and they didn't take 30% cut from each sale! What developers or publisher wanted was to reach the huge CS crowd already forced on Steam so they had to bow to Valve.

You are confusing 2 different things. Games being released on Steam like every other internet store and gamers being forced to install Steam to play their physically purchased games. You can release your game on Steam and not make players install the app just to play their physical purchases.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Counter Strike and Half Life are Valve games. Outer Worlds is not an Epic Game.

For example if Outer Worlds was restricted to the MS store from the beginning that would have been a hard pill to swallow BUT an understandable one. This is not the same.

I think we already went over this: Obsidian was bought by MS only after Obsidian already made their deal with Take Two about Outer Worlds. And it does use Epic's Unreal engine which gives another cut if I am not mistaken...

What? Take Two isnt Epic either.

Its not first party.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I ran into a video game developer down the street the other day, with blue hair and a color assorted chihuahua, begging for money to buy a third soy latte from Starbucks™, complaining that Valve only gave him enough money to buy two of those with their mean rates, it was the saddest thing I ever saw :negative:

I already gave all my pocket change to the Syrian refugees in the previous intersection, so I didn't have anything for him, but thankfully a nice chinaman gave him enough money to keep on living the Californian lifestyle :love:

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
The bottom line is Epic is kinda shitting the bed again, because when they go for games that were already getting released on Steam and removing the option to buy it there. And nobody wants to have anything taken away from him, especially by a greedy megacorp. What they should do it seek-out quality but out-of-luck developers and offer them cash in order to make their vanity projects. That would make them appear to be more of a patrons of quality games, like the Medici. "You don't get to play it on your platform of choice" has a different ring than "This game normally would never be released, but thanks to us it's possible. Check out our store".
Basically what I'm saying is that Epic should bankroll Grimoire 2.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I ran into a video game developer down the street the other day, with blue hair and a color assorted chihuahua, begging for money to buy a third soy latte from Starbucks™, complaining that Valve only gave him enough money to buy two of those with their mean rates, it was the saddest thing I ever saw :negative:

I already gave all my pocket change to the Syrian refugees in the previous intersection, so I didn't have anything for him, but thankfully a nice chinaman gave him enough money to keep on living the Californian lifestyle :love:
You are a good man,i would have kicked him or stabbed him in a dark alley.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Steam is a monopolistic parasite that takes 30% of every sale, yet you swear to defend it to your last torrent. Fucking sheep.

I don't care who gets paid what behind the scenes when Epic's client is objectively inferior.

4MMNPuHSJMGikghCAHgc4M-650-80.png

It didn't even launch with an offline mode, which was completely unacceptable.

ssdsd.png

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
D2JUmdYXcAA52K3.jpg:large

The backlash is huge, all the goodwill and image obsidian has built is over. They have become another dev in the long list of devs recently that practice anti-consumer behaviour. Because of the landslide of backlash against games like Fallout 76, Anthem, a tide of exclusives and others they'll be bundled together into a blob of garbage mainstream developers.

It is over for obsidian.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So from the latest few pages I can gather that this game should not be bought because of intrusive software packaged with it?.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
D2JUmdYXcAA52K3.jpg:large

The backlash is huge, all the goodwill and image obsidian has built is over. They have become another dev in the long list of devs recently that practice anti-consumer behaviour. Because of the landslide of backlash against games like Fallout 76, Anthem, a tide of exclusives and others they'll be bundled together into a blob of garbage mainstream developers.

It is over for obsidian.
and they probably dont get a cent out of this

Maybe feargus did. But none for the actual employees.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
i think its funny that they complained about a corporation buying up all the land and fun and then that happened

dude someone should make a video comic or something about it

jf8350143

Liturgist
You know, I'm alway wondering how much choices does Obsidian have in this deal. If it's a pure publisher decision and they have no rights to reject at all, how much will it costs them to openly say "we didn't sign up for this shit, go blame private division." Sure they won't do that, but it would make this shitshow much more interesting.

Wesp5

Arcane
There are DRM free games on Steam.

Really? Please list me all the AAA and AA games that are on Steam but don't need the Steam client to run!
https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

Ah, I didn't know this. Still it's not exactly the same, as it says: "A: Install the game or software and run it online the first time (this step is important as this finalizes the installation)." So if Steam is down when you want to play the first time, you are still out of luck compared to a normal retail game...

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
People are talking about buying it on windows 10 store instead of epic store if it comes to that. This was all next level intrigue and corporate chess on the part of Microsoft. Listen to this here:

Microsoft realised that Outerlands would generate enough hype to be attractive even with bad business practices and that Obsidian had enough good will and general reputation for being screwed over by publishers for people to buy on other platforms. They realised that 2K private division and Epic conspired to use this to use it as yet another exclusive to entice people to the epic's zoomerstore. What they then did was buyout Obsidian, so that they could sweeten the deal to include Microsoft store as well as they owned it and compete only with zoomerstore, a much easier competition than with steam. Anyone who wants to buy the game in first year will likely prefer Microsoft store over the zoomerstore so that they can split it and also create an image of "at least better than Epic" so that more people might use their store. Especially with all developers they have bought recently with aim of building a microsoft store portfolio.

In all of this, who benefits most? Who probably got part of zoomerbucks from Epic to make it exclusive and who will be paid bonuses for the games sales? The ol' devil Feargus Urquhart.

At least now we know the real motivation behind Tim Sweeney's jihad against the Windows Store a while back.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Seriously, though, if you'd asked me what I would do for another game from Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky in 2015, I would've been okay with child sacrifice. Somebody else's child, but still. Need me to dedicate a family member's death to Baal? Tough call: probably not my nuclear family, cousins are definitely fair game, though, as well as aunts and uncles on a case by case basis.

If you'd told me I would have to buy a hard copy from an actual retailer, I would've shrugged. Who cares? Just order the CD version from Amazon or drive to Best Buy like we did in the old days.

Like, if "it's an FPS-RPG with Bethesda style gameplay" wasn't a dealbreaker, I don't see why "it's not available on steam for the first year" would be where you guys draw the line.

Trashos

Arcane
In principle, I am fine with this. Steam is practically a near-monopoly and it is going to take dirty tricks to balance the situation.

That said, I expect that TOW's sales and prestige will suffer. Too bad that a game I was mildly interested in had to be involved in this war.

Asian products are spying on you, western products are spying on you too. Both software and hardware. Long ago, I had expected that people would be infuriated when they found out. Surprisingly, they weren't. Not only that, but it seems to me that the average person likes being spied on. It makes them feel important in their miserable lives or sth.

Lastly, this is supposed to be a game about the evils of capitalism, is it not? First bought by Microsoft and then caught in this competition war. It is striking how capitalism keeps making money by selling anti-capitalism to the consumers.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Asian products are spying on you, western products are spying on you too. Both software and hardware. Long ago, I had expected that people would be infuriated when they found out. Surprisingly, they weren't. Not only that, but it seems to me that the average person likes being spied on. It makes them feel important in their miserable lives or sth.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure I'm being spied on because I'm important :obviously:. But yeah, those other people... wtf are they thinking? Morons, all of them!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom