Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Morgana - a cutesy-Lovecraftian pixel blobber

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I ran across this game on another forum. There's nearly no information beyond a gameplay video:

First gameplay video. Design & Programming: Jaume Alcazo (jaume.alcazo@gmail.com), Art: Mrmo Tarius (http://pixeljoint.com/p/7846.htm), Additional art, sound & fx: opengameart.org, itch.io, game-icons.net & freesound.org. Songs played in this gameplay: Depressed Of Happytown & WTF! Ghost! by Alexandr Zhelanov, Mystical Lands Beckon by Eric Matyas. Programmed with C & Tilengine (http://www.tilengine.org).

The graphics are well done and charming, it seems to have stats and stat effects (even a sanity stat), pressure plates, all the usual stuff.

This FB page seems to be the only online presence it has: https://www.facebook.com/morganadungeoncrawler

OldNorseSaga

Learned
Does the title have to be so cheesy? Why Morgana - why not Creepy Tiny Dungeon or something.

I wouldn't have picked name of protagonist as title. Many indies do that & it's jarring.

grom

Educated
What's with this trend of combining "Lovecraftian" themes and cute and/or zany pixel graphics? It's been done to death and didn't make any sense to begin with.

Cael

Arcane
In development, but looks fun. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The art style is actually nice, not sure I'd call it all that cutesy. As with all blobbers this will live or die on the dungeon/puzzle design.

If this is actually a blobber that is, because I don't see a whole party here.

kintake

Savant
Looks so damn.. busy? More like a theme park haunted house with spooky faces and other cheap jump scares every two steps, not sure why you'd lose sanity to that. The stripping part was proper scary though I'll give em that.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
66109589_894572100893667_3762740794130169856_o.png
Unearth the sarcophagus of the Grand Vizier Amon-Khamûn, from a Kingdom long forgotten in the mists of time!
If you manage to gather the ingredients and concoct a potion to revive him, he may either be grateful, decide to help you- and join you as a companion on your quest... or he may seek vengeance upon those who dare disturb his eternal rest!
72119039_958072824543594_7975650888809185280_o.png
Magos Lazar, a quivering mess of tentacles, teeth and slime held together by ancient magic. This loathsome entity can be quite useful to Morgana, for it is the only one capable of understanding the eldritch writings disseminated throughout the haunted manor.
81622440_1036496716701204_5370063473512284160_n.png
The way forwards is blocked by the eerie, chilling specters of the Katsushika sisters. The apparitions, Ōi and Tatsujo, unable to let go of their past, wander the maddening haunted manor. Will Morgana and her companions try and help them? Figuring it out is up to you.
Art & art direction: Mrmo Tarius (http://pixeljoint.com/p/7846.htm).

Bigg Boss

Arcane
This actually looks pretty good. I'll just watch this thread to see how it unfolds, namely if they start advertising beyond Facebook.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Looks alright so far except for no combat and no party, looks more like a point and click with no purpose.
As it's an early demo, it might turn out good ...

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Looks alright so far except for no combat and no party, looks more like a point and click with no purpose.
As it's an early demo, it might turn out good ...

I assume its more in line with Waxworks and the Elvira adventure/RPG hybrids

JaumeAlcazo

Arcane
Developer
Hi people, I'm actually Jaume Alcazo, the designer and programmer of this game :) (jaume.alcazo@gmail.com)

I found this thread some weeks ago and not participated, I was having guilty fun reading your comments unbiased by my presence here. But now I want to come to the spotlight and share correctly the promotional images, I saw that the screenshots that CryptRat shared went broke somehow, and I want that people can see them.

We recently released another promotional screenshot that I want to show you, (it's the last one):

def-augmentatx2.png

Unearth the sarcophagus of the Grand Vizier Amon-Khamûn, from a Kingdom long forgotten in the mists of time!
If you manage to gather the ingredients and concoct a potion to revive him, he may either be grateful, decide to help you- and join you as a companion on your quest... or he may seek vengeance upon those who dare disturb his eternal rest!

promo2x2.png

Magos Lazar, a quivering mess of tentacles, teeth and slime held together by ancient magic. This loathsome entity can be quite useful to Morgana, for it is the only one capable of understanding the eldritch writings disseminated throughout the haunted manor. Art & art direction: Mrmo Tarius (http://pixeljoint.com/p/7846.htm). Inventory icons: www.itch.io & opengameart.org

promo3-corrected.png

The way forwards is blocked by the eerie, chilling specters of the Katsushika sisters. The apparitions, Ōi and Tatsujo, unable to let go of their past, wander the maddening haunted manor. Will Morgana and her companions try and help them? Figuring it out is up to you. Art & art direction: Mrmo Tarius (http://pixeljoint.com/p/7846.htm).

labona-x2.png

Enter the Mad Witch's Study. Art & art direction: Mrmo Tarius (http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/7846.htm). Design & Programming: Jaume Alcazo Castellarnau (jaume.alcazo@gmail.com). Programmed with C & Tilengine (http://www.tilengine.org/).

Please notice that in the promo shared by CryptRat the japanese character for "a" was missing at the beginning of the phrase. Notice as well the 5 members party and the increased resolution. Now, in the latest screenshot, it is 480x270, proportional to my widescreen 1920x1080 to make a cool fullscreen.

I'm happy and pleased to see all your comments, good, bad, with constructive criticism, death threats or whatever ;) so please don't stop them coming! As you can see I initially planned a single character party as Elviras & Waxworks, but switched to 5 members party due to the feedback of the people.

I know, I know, there's no combat YET. And there will not be for a while. We plan to release video2 hopefully before october. This is a mega-ultra-indie project, one freelancing artist in Serbia and one man in Catalonia, Spain for design & programming (me), we both have full time jobs (me now remotely working due to covid-19), and I have a daughter messing around 24/7 without school and another kid incoming on october + coronavirus lockdown. So this will take loooong time before finished or demo-ed somehow. My plan is to do a kickstarter, but it is now *years* ahead, I think.

Please firstly I want you to answer a simple question, what would you like more for combat for this game: real time or turn based? I initially planned to do realtime, but now I'm more biased towards turn-based.

Feel free to ask any question and I'll do my best to answer.

JaumeAlcazo

Arcane
Developer
Another question, which wands you do prefer or look better for Amon-Khamûn (the dead pharaoh), the old ones or the new ones (the latest screenshot or the others).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom