Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds goes Epic Games Store-exclusive (also Windows Store)

just

Liturgist
In principle, I am fine with this. Steam is practically a near-monopoly and it is going to take dirty tricks to balance the situation.

That said, I expect that TOW's sales and prestige will suffer. Too bad that a game I was mildly interested in had to be involved in this war.

Asian products are spying on you, western products are spying on you too. Both software and hardware. Long ago, I had expected that people would be infuriated when they found out. Surprisingly, they weren't. Not only that, but it seems to me that the average person likes being spied on. It makes them feel important in their miserable lives or sth.

Lastly, this is supposed to be a game about the evils of capitalism, is it not? First bought by Microsoft and then caught in this competition war. It is striking how capitalism keeps making money by selling anti-capitalism to the consumers.
your social credit rating has been increased by 5 points

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Seriously, though, if you'd asked me what I would do for another game from Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky in 2015, I would've been okay with child sacrifice. Somebody else's child, but still. Need me to dedicate a family member's death to Baal? Tough call: probably not my nuclear family, cousins are definitely fair game, though, as well as aunts and uncles on a case by case basis.

If you'd told me I would have to buy a hard copy from an actual retailer, I would've shrugged. Who cares? Just order the CD version from Amazon or drive to Best Buy like we did in the old days.

Like, if "it's an FPS-RPG with Bethesda style gameplay" wasn't a dealbreaker, I don't see why "it's not available on steam for the first year" would be where you guys draw the line.
That's because you're a massive fucking cuck with no standards.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Asian products are spying on you, western products are spying on you too. Both software and hardware. Long ago, I had expected that people would be infuriated when they found out. Surprisingly, they weren't. Not only that, but it seems to me that the average person likes being spied on. It makes them feel important in their miserable lives or sth.

Rather, and to quote a friend

Why do you think I would care about your password? You are not that interesting.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
In principle, I am fine with this. Steam is practically a near-monopoly and it is going to take dirty tricks to balance the situation.

That said, I expect that TOW's sales and prestige will suffer. Too bad that a game I was mildly interested in had to be involved in this war.

Lastly, this is supposed to be a game about the evils of capitalism, is it not? First bought by Microsoft and then caught in this competition war. It is striking how capitalism keeps making money by selling anti-capitalism to the consumers.
Please explain how steam is a monopoky

cosmicray

Savant
You know, I'm alway wondering how much choices does Obsidian have in this deal. If it's a pure publisher decision and they have no rights to reject at all, how much will it costs them to openly say "we didn't sign up for this shit, go blame private division." Sure they won't do that, but it would make this shitshow much more interesting.
Didn't Private Division pay for development? At least partly.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL Infinitron your lobes must be very small for a jew. Weren't you supposed to be very smart when it comes to economical shit and macing money? It is amazing that you don't even know what monopoly is. Steam is not monopoly and everyone that thinks it is,is a fucking retard. There is more than enough platforms for the devs to put their games on,thus it is not dominant on the market when it is a decision made by the devs and the customers. Also it doesn't restrict the market in any way,that is what epic is doing and it is illegal in a way. It is like saying that one chocolate is a monopoly because it sells 10 times more chockos over its competitors,just because people like the taste better.

Wesp5

Arcane

Just let's look at some numbers here, which I got from Wikipedia and this link: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/01/15/how-many-games-are-on-steam/

There are currently about 30.000 games on Steam, of which 16.000 are probable Steam Direct garbage. The game number doubled since they added it 2017!

I don't know who the next biggest online store for current AAA games is supposed to be, but Origin has about 50 games, GOG has about 2000 older games...

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

Just let's look at some numbers here, which I got from Wikipedia and this link: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/01/15/how-many-games-are-on-steam/

There are currently about 30.000 games on Steam, of which 16.000 are probable Steam Direct garbage. The game number doubled since they added it 2017!

I don't know who the next biggest online store for current AAA games is supposed to be, but Origin has about 50 games, GOG has about 2000 older games...

walmart carries more items than walgreens, it must be a monopoly.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pilpul is fixating on the definition of terms like "monopoly" to avoid a more substantive argument.

Steam is exponentially more popular than any other store. You can create your own games store and even turn a profit, but you can't come close to rivaling Steam. That has downsides for certain parties.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pilpul is fixating on the definition of terms like "monopoly" to avoid a more substantive argument.

Steam is exponentially more popular than any other store. You can create your own games store and even turn a profit, but you can't come close to rivaling Steam.

If you can create your own games store and even turn a profit then how is Steam a monopoly?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
BCKm0GhCsle8Lb9h1lA1HpwDARhPqf5Sg51tGqqJbj0MAgtAR64YILnrPfxFPTp4twbuCkB9QNtIlXE0uTuP=w426-h240-n

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Steam is exponentially more popular than any other store. You can create your own games store and even turn a profit, but you can't come close to rivaling Steam.

If you can create your own games store and even turn a profit then how is Steam a monopoly?

It isn't, but it's still a store that dominates the PC gaming market to such a degree that it's had no incentive to reduce its revenue share, so in that respect functionally equivalent to a monopoly. Who cares about the dictionary definition, it's not really important.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik

Steam is exponentially more popular than any other store. You can create your own games store and even turn a profit, but you can't come close to rivaling Steam. That has downsides for certain parties.

It isn't, but it's still a store that dominates the PC gaming market to such a degree that it's had no incentive to reduce its revenue share, so in that respect functionally equivalent to a monopoly. Who cares about the dictionary definition, it's not really important.

64c4cd722e929636b1b156934e9a8632.gif

Ok, but I thought you were going to explain how Steam was a monopoly?

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So now for something completely different, we just wait for Microsoft saving the day.

Interesting

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

Wonder who sent him the email. (Youtuber)

Eh most of the employees probably didn't know but MS and probably the top guys at Obsidian knew.Form the the two Private Division games that went to the Epic Store Ancestors is exclusive while Outer Worlds will be on Epic and MS store,that discrepancy could only happen if MS/Obsidian were aware of the negotiations and vetoed to keep it on the MS store too,probably because there was some kind of clause in their contract that gave Obsidian(and now MS) some say in all of this

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If you want to get away from literal definitions then let's look at the purpose of antitrust laws (at least in the US). They're meant to prevent monopolies for the benefit of CONSUMERS. Not vendors looking for a bigger piece of the pie. What Epic is doing does not benefit consumers in the slightest.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
If you want to get away from literal definitions then let's look at the purpose of antitrust laws (at least in the US). They're meant to prevent monopolies for the benefit of CONSUMERS. Not vendors looking for a bigger piece of the pie.

Yes, nobody is breaking the law. I'm just trying to explain why a variety of companies might have an interest in ganging up on Valve, as we've been seeing for the past four months. For the typical end user, it probably doesn't really matter either way (even if Steam actually was a monopoly).

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

Steam does not hold a monopoly. Simply owning a popular product does not mean it is a monopoly.
An example of antitrust behavior is what Intel has repeatedly done to AMD for the past few decades. Intel's behavior was very similar to the behavior Epic is exhibiting right now.

Additionally, I find the argument that Steam's cut is too big to be kind of funny. Steam's cut used to be seen as a massive improvement over what brick & mortar retailers charged to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom