Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds goes Epic Games Store-exclusive (also Windows Store)

Shadenuat

Arcane
Feargus gives with one hand and takes with the other

Trashos

Arcane
You guys are caught in trivial details. It does not matter if it is Steam's fault or not. If the consumers want healthy competition eventually, having a more level playing field is a good thing for them. This is hard to happen with one competitor having 90% of the power, and thus in position to pull all the strings. That's what I called "practically a near-monopoly". That's what it practically is.

I agree that it is not black and white, but Epic's methods are not black and white either (and fwiw Valve are not saints themselves).

Codex Year of the Donut
You guys are caught in trivial details. It does not matter if it is Steam's fault or not. If the consumers want healthy competition eventually, having a more level playing field is a good thing for them. This is hard to happen with one competitor having 90% of the power, and thus in position to pull all the strings. That's what I called "practically a near-monopoly". That's what it practically is.

I agree that it is not black and white, but Epic's methods are not black and white either (and fwiw Valve are not saints themselves).
What do you define a "level playing field" as? What is Steam doing that is preventing this from existing? Has Steam done something to hinder the existence of GOG, Itch.io, Kongregate's Kartridge, Discord's Game Store, Amazon's Digital Game Store, RobotCache, Microsoft Store, EA's Origin, Epic Store, etc.,?
Maybe they are using their deep pockets to pay developers to not put their games on other store fronts?

Black

Arcane
slamdunk.png

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What do you define a "level playing field" as? What is Steam doing that is preventing this from existing? Has Steam done something to hinder the existence of GOG, Itch.io, Kongregate's Kartridge, Discord's Game Store, Amazon's Digital Game Store, RobotCache, Microsoft Store, EA's Origin, Epic Store, etc.,?

Steamworks, a service offered in exchange for platform dependency, has kept many multiplayer games from being released on GOG et al.

That's not Steamworks, that's developer's laziness.

Codex Year of the Donut

Steamworks, a service offered in exchange for platform dependency, has kept many multiplayer games from being released on GOG et al.
But it's a choice made by the developer, not a requirement to use the Steam platform.
To the best of my knowledge — with the way Steamworks works there would be no way for them to provide it as a platform neutral middleware because it directly uses Steam's servers for many of its features.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I honestly don't understand how anyone, Chris Avellone included, can think that Obsidian management has anything to do with this decision, at all.

Obisidian is 100% owned by Microsoft. They have neither the obligation nor the *incentive* to attempt to squeeze out extra profits on a platform which Microsoft doesn't own.

There's nothing in it for Obsidian to make the Epic deal. Good money in it for Take2. In fact, this isn't the only Take2 game that's going Epic exclusive.

Even if there was profit in it for Obsidian (and there isn't), it isn't their call to make anyway, they're not the publisher. They don't have a say in how the game is distributed, they don't pay for the distribution or negotiate for it.

That's what the publisher does.

Obsidian is following through a contract made when they were an independent developer, which at the time needed financing and distribution help from a publisher. Said publisher then decided to make a deal with Epic, a reseller.

Simple as that. Clearly not so simple for everyone, but what can you do?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I honestly don't understand how anyone, Chris Avellone included, can think that Obsidian management has anything to do with this decision, at all.

He's probably just being a dick, but somebody should hop in there and mention that the other Private Division game, Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey, went Epic-exclusive too. It's not a coincidence.

Last edited:

drgames

Scholar
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds

Despite enjoying an extremely positive debut and having the marketing muscle of not one but two major publishers in its corner, the powers that be have apparently decided that The Outer Worlds must make moar money. At their GDC keynote today, Epic Games announced that The Outer Worlds will be launching on the Epic Games Store, which offers an an advantageous revenue share. It won't come out on Steam until a year afterwards. The game is not quite an Epic-exclusive however, since it's also launching on Microsoft's own Microsoft Store platform, and on consoles of course. There's no fancy trailer or press release for this announcement, just this tweet:

As you can see from the replies, many people are upset about this. Patrice Desilets' Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey, another Private Division title, was also announced as an Epic-exclusive at the keynote, so it appears to be a publisher decision. If you're an Epic-hater at least you've got the Microsoft Store option, although that means dealing with UWP or whatever it's called.

There is no honor among thieves.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

He's probably definitely just being a dick, but somebody can hop in there and mention that the other Private Division game, Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey, went Epic-exclusive too. It's not a coincidence.

FTFY. I like MCA, but the more he continues to go after Obsidian at every opportunity, the harder it is to buy into his 'life is amazing, I'm so happy, nothing could possibly trouble me' vibe.

Codex Year of the Donut

He's probably definitely just being a dick, but somebody can hop in there and mention that the other Private Division game, Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey, went Epic-exclusive too. It's not a coincidence.

FTFY. I like MCA, but the more he continues to go after Obsidian at every opportunity, the harder it is to buy into his 'life is amazing, I'm so happy, nothing could possibly trouble me' vibe.
91sn32Q.jpg

Arnust

Savant
"When it comes to broad-based entertainment offerings, you are better placed to be where the consumer is, rather than indicating to the consumer where they need to be. If your focus is solely on capturing retail margin, then you have to be very convinced you're going to be a great retailer. That's not something that's in our DNA" Take2 CEO, apparently 2 months ago or so

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

He's probably just being a dick, but somebody should hop in there and mention that the other Private Division game, Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey, went Epic-exclusive too. It's not a coincidence.
Do you really think that Obsidian had zero say in it? That it's some nobody Take2 can do with as they please? And I suppose it's a coincidence that it's the only Epic "exclusive" that's going to be released on Windows Store? How thoughtful of Take2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Do you really think that Obsidian had zero say in it? That it's some nobody Take2 can do with as they please? And I suppose it's a coincidence that it's the only Epic "exclusive" that's going to be released on Windows Store? How thoughtful of Take2.

Yes, I expect Obsidian had a publishing and financing deal made with Take2. I expect that deal to be quite solid, Take2 aren't some second rate publisher, making their first contract.

It's no coincidence that Obsidian are also allowed to distribute the game themselves, on their own platform - which would have been the Obsidian website but is now Microsoft.

You can't not shill for Steam, you're one Epic Steamtard.

Aravan

Novice

Doesn't this mean he also waited around for weeks without telling the devs since he also knew?

It could mean what you suppose. It could also mean that he didn't put the pieces together of what had occured until after the fact. It could mean that he was contractually (or eethically) obligated to conform to the management structure (ie chain of command) and not "go behind" someone else's back. He could also be lying in an attempt to stir up drama.

Kind of have to take the person as a whole when considering their word. I'll let you make your own call without beating you over the head with mine.

Mustawd

What's funny is that piracy doesn't poof out of nowhere. Someone buys the game, cracks it, and makes it available to others. There are the people who pirate their games, and the people who have enabled piracy. And these people have literally no reason to do so, because they already own the game.

What?

You’re talking about ONE aggregate bought cooy to benefit tens to hundreds of thousands.

tens to hundreds of thousands of zero revenue owners of a game. Wtf are you talking about?

jf8350143

Liturgist

Then other platforms should offer the service as well if they want compete. Did steam do something to prevent others from do so?

They as platforms should provide better or more services to consumers to attract them, in this case include both publishers,developers and players. They as platforms should not just burning money to "force" their consumer to use them.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Yes, I expect Obsidian had a publishing and financing deal made with Take2. I expect that deal to be quite solid, Take2 aren't some second rate publisher which is making its first contracts.
Just because there's a publishing deal doesn't mean that Take2 can do whatever they fucking want. That's not how these things work. Not to mention there's leverage - the IP itself, which is enough to give Take2 a reason to treat Obsidian as a partner rather than an indentured servant who has no say in this matter.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
What's funny is that piracy doesn't poof out of nowhere. Someone buys the game, cracks it, and makes it available to others. There are the people who pirate their games, and the people who have enabled piracy. And these people have literally no reason to do so, because they already own the game.

What?

You’re talking about ONE aggregate bought cooy to benefit tens to hundreds of thousands.

tens to hundreds of thousands of zero revenue owners of a game. Wtf are you talking about?

What? I said that the funny thing about piracy is that it is enable by people who already bought a game. It makes sense for pirates to pirate a game they don't own. What doesn't make sense is someone who already bought the game to engage in illegal activity for others to benefit from.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom