Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Tons of unmarked spoilers in this thread. Bailing out. Later, faglords!

Wunderbar

Arcane
All this talk reminds me of BB. "Its harder than Souls!", "it punishes your Souls muscle memory!", "Hardest From game ever!".

Couple weeks later: "Nah, it's easy as fuck."

Everything is hard until it gets easy, you faggots.
It is indeed harder than Souls though.
I mean, you can't summon friends, you can't tank hits with heavy armor, you can't farm souls to pump some VIT or END, and every random peasant kills you in two hits.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
All this talk reminds me of BB. "Its harder than Souls!", "it punishes your Souls muscle memory!", "Hardest From game ever!".

And DkS2 and 3 were never hard to begin with, which is why BB and Sekiro are :incline: on that front.

I can't beat the purple guy in bamboo thicket slope...

Me neither actually. :shredder:

Hobo Elf

Arcane

It is indeed harder than Souls though.
I mean, you can't summon friends, you can't tank hits with heavy armor, you can't farm souls to pump some VIT or END, and every random peasant kills you in two hits.
And the only way to get stronger is to kill the hardest enemies.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Playing in Japanese, which is the default language. The characters talk little enough during gameplay that I can pay attention to the text. I just wish they weren't SDH subtitles, meaning subs for deaf people. If someone coughs, it's written out.

Feels pretty good to control.

I'm glad From Software ditched the ugly, lifeless user created mute for a speaking, faced character. Character creation sucks ass.

The art direction is pretty, which you expect from them by now.

RapineDel

Augur
Went in pretty blind to this and it's definitely great.

Currently getting my ass handed to me by those long spear enemies near bamboo thicket, the ones down a semi hidden path in a circle open area.

The level design is excellent and might be the best I've seen from them so far, the semi open areas with different approaches possible with stealth etc. certainly mix it up and I was worried that grapple would harm the level design but instead it's like the jet pack in ELEX where it just offers more options.

Some of these 'mini' bosses are harder then a lot of actual Souls bosses so far, I'm sure it'll feel easier soon but this is the closest I've felt to playing Dark Souls 1 for the first time (my first Souls game) and they've managed to recapture the magic by making you learn a different combat style.

Bloodborne felt more like a spin off, plays a bit differently but basically just action souls. Sekiro genuinely feels like a different game while retaining the same spirit and basic From elements.

RapineDel

Augur
Played for a while. Game is OK. Combat is less of a focus, stealth isn't very good. Looting is weird, why make it so you hold a button to loot from enemies but just press it to pick up items in the world? Just make it work the same for both. It feels like they took inspiration from For Honor of all things. I'm sure the game will be good overall, still wish we'd just gotten a real Soulslike game in a new setting though.

Don't really get that complaint about the looting. The combat is fast paced, often you'll be rushing to the next mob and once you clear a few you're a fair way ahead of those you've killed. Instead of tediously back tracking to each mob to loot them you just hold a button and press on, seems like a solid design choice to me.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The game stealth system reminds me of Arkham / shadow of mordor. I even wasted some shurikens pressing the "stealth" button.

Combat is...weird. Hard to tell for now, since I b barely left the tutorial yesterday.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I can't beat the purple guy in bamboo thicket slope...

Me neither

Get the spear blocking skill, then it's...doable. Still, there's no room for error and the parry windows are super weird.

Parrying and blocking still leaves me confuse. Does it matter if it's a "perfect" block, like parry? Or can I just hold block and wait for them to get winded?

Also how the fuck do you beat the Drunkard? He does schwank schwank and I'm ded. Can block one of his strikes max, then I'm out of poise. Is he supposed to be a later game boss?

So far I'm loving almost everything, except for the crowds of ads you have to kill to get to the boss. Shinobi Hunter and Drunkard are especially annoying with how much shit you have to wade through every time the boss kills you in 0,3 seconds. Ugh.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Wondering if I should refund this and wait until it's cheaper. I have so much to do. I've barely made any progress and am already at two hours, which is the cutoff for refunds. The ogre keeps heat-seeking me with his grab. I struggled through Bloodborne too, but the first playthrough took me only 22 hours.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Blocking breaks your posture, perfect blocks break the opponent's posture.

There's a dude who helps you out with the Drunkard. And again, just blocking leads to you getting fucked immediately. You NEED to parry.

Kitchen Utensil

The more I watch and read about this, the more I think it's probably not for me.

Combat seems to be especially one-dimensional. Play the fucking parry game and be aggressive at all times or get fucked. No, sorry; I want my combat encouters to offer some options—that was one of Dark Souls greatest strenghts. There were dozens of ways you could approach the game, each of them more or less viable.

Most things that made Dark Souls for me are watered down or completely missing here. Even exploration, which many people are raving about, is totally worthless if there's (almost) nothing to find. No weapons, no different armors, just these retarded prosthetics.

Even less customisation than Bloodborne, the fucking hook that's just usable at specific points, enemy indicators on screen, a departure from the optional storytelling in favour of a more story-driven experience, still the same shit engine from BB/DS3, and combat consisting of glorified QTEs. And I don't like the setting. Yeah, I'll skip this one. Difficulty alone doesn't make a good game for me.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Also how the fuck do you beat the Drunkard? He does schwank schwank and I'm ded. Can block one of his strikes max, then I'm out of poise. Is he supposed to be a later game boss?
You're supposed to chip away at him slowly till he loses all his HP. Twice. Just went through him, took me a good 2-3 hours. Use the Samurai in blue to help you, he helps a LOT.

polo

Magister
Uh mixed feelings. I really like mini bosses and bosses, most of them at least. I've always been a parry whore so i like the system and shit, but i kind of not like maps filled with mobs and shit shooting at you, specially when stealth is pretty meh...

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Combat seems to be especially one-dimensional.

As evident ITT by how many people fail to internalize the basics of combat, no.

You're supposed to chip away at him slowly till he loses all his HP. Twice. Just went through him, took me a good 2-3 hours. Use the Samurai in blue to help you, he helps a LOT.

lol

You are not supposed to chip away at his health. You're supposed to break his posture.

Cromwell

Arcane
You're supposed to chip away at him slowly till he loses all his HP. Twice. Just went through him, took me a good 2-3 hours. Use the Samurai in blue to help you, he helps a LOT

I found him infinetly easier than my first tries with the shinobi hunter (before I figured to axe him). You can use ceramic plates to lure all his little helpers to you to the pond. After disposing them you can pull him without the three remaining helpers (two shield guys and the swordguy) when he walks to you talk to the samurai and let him tank for you. Usually the dunkard will attack you only after you gave it to him from behind a bit you can jump out of the way lose his attention and repeat that until he dies. The only dangerous thing to look out for are the large swings that will hit you even if the samurai is the intended target.

Combat seems to be especially one-dimensional. Play the fucking parry game and be aggressive at all times or get fucked

after reaching lady butterfly I got the tooltip about vitality where the game explained that if you chip away the vitality the bosses posture will refill a lot slower so you could ignore the posture and reduce their vitality until they have almost none and then you can break the posture without constantly attacking. I am also very bad at parrying and still move forward in the game so it cant be that bad.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok, seriously guise, there are spoiler brackets, use them.

On an unrelated note - took me a while to lose the "spam roll" muscle memory tick but I'm finally getting into the block/deflect tempo. The game suddenly makes a helluva lot more sense.

Jinn

Arcane
Combat seems to be especially one-dimensional.

Just because it seems one-dimensional doesn't mean it is. I think the themes of fluidity, adaptability, concealment, and change coming through in the story and atmosphere are beautifully represented in the combat, mechanics, and systems. "More than meets the eye" is a current that runs through it all. Also, there is a lot of this game that simply does not translate to a viewing experience. There is a lot to learn about it and the surface has hardly been scratched by players so far.

Your overall response was the reaction I was expecting from a lot of people, and am pleasantly surprised to see much less of it in this thread than I thought there would be. I don't think this game is for you either, because you're looking for another Souls game. From and Miyazaki should be allowed to make something different. They have and it's great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom