Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Reinhardt

Arcane
Armor is for melee and melee is gross.

Shadenuat

Arcane
i randomly was going through map (Tier 8 Orchard, be aware of new boss with deathbeam and trapos there, thankfully I had my own trapos to just throw at it and sit behind pillar) and clicked essense on random staff and replaced my level 31 staff

codexstaff.jpg
it doesn't have +level but it is my wizardstaff

i also got some new shoes https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Rainbowstride and it is the first unique in my life I did not get before which is actually a usable item without some dumb shenanigans

dis is me

So for now I am using:

Arc + Echo + Innervate + Crit - It's not bad skill, but I find it troubling to use in small inclosed spaces like Delve because it takes time for lightning to travel from one mob to another which allows them to swarm you. Although after I got new staff it was all fixed somewhat due to spell becoming more of a beam - casting speed really helps this skill. Maybe I will eventually switch it for Spark if I get enough Dex to put some green gems in. With extra cast speed it's good though.

Orb of Storms + Curse on Hit + Assasins Mark + Increased Area - I am somewhat disappointed with range of this skill and that you can only put it near yourself. I thought it would increase to cover more space. I also have no idea how to make it shoot faster. I also wish it could slow/freeze enemies. I tried some other skills but didn't find anything similar and my dex is too low to make use of strong cold gems. It's pretty good at keeping curse up though.

Lightning Spire + Elemental Focus + Crit + Advanced Traps. - So I switched from Storm Call to this. This provides some really good utility and ability to engage enemies how I want to. You can put traps near chest and teleport away. You can throw them on top of bosses and hide, etc. There were some variations I ran it with but basically I removed Concentrated Effect because range became so low that if boss had any mobility it would easily evade thrown trap; and I added Advanced Traps because while it is not damage, it allows for quicker, easier and faster trap usage so in the end is just better to play.

Herald of Thunder + Onslaught + Culling + Blind/Mana Leech/Item Rarity - Onslaught + Culling is awesome, great movement and casting bonus, blind is ok, mana leech I ran at first but seems I'm ok with mana now, so thinking still about 4th gem. At first I tried golems, but it felt like as game is now they die even quicker than before for not-summoners and lightning golem AI is retarded.

Lightning Warp + Less duration + FC in Doedre's Tenure - got this at like level 20 from Einhar-bro. This skill sucks and led to many deaths, especially in Delve. The problem is not even casting speed but that it thinks of any little barricade or barrel or chair a line of sight bloker and doesn't want to teleport there. Also stun is a bitch. But eh.

Vaal Discipline - simply amazing oh shit button, love this skill.

I'm at 5500 hp/shield and ~50% crit and 375% crit multi for now.

I am thinking to work on my rings next (make 2 diamond rings) and put passives in jewels and begin working on a few jewels maybe. Don't know what else to change for now. I really wanted to finish larping staffwizard and take Enigmatic Reach but neither Arc or Spark use increased area. I also still wish I could implement some cold damage into something to stop monsters for good from lolrushing my wizard ass. The overall survivability feels ok but a bit random. Sometimes I survive oneshots and fuckups wonderfully especially with help of Vaal Discipline, sometimes don't (Chaos damage maybe). Also the nature of lightning and crit means sometimes monster dies in 4 hits and sometimes in 1. But that is just lightning and crit for you I guess. It is also simply weird to watch for ES, ES regen, ES leech, and HP at same time and figure out what goes wrong and how can it be fixed (my gut tells me more damage helps the best).

Yes I actually like Delve now. I have enough gas to travel around low level part of it for items and currency for a while, and I larp that I hide there from syndicate while drinking rotgut. A bit claustrophobic and lonely at times but a great rest from bullshit since I get what I want. The Synthesis content, I don't do anymore and don't even go inside memories inside zana maps inside maps - tired of game using new and improved mechanics to whip me into running blindly clicking on things or playing dumb simcity tetris with roads. No thanks. The aztec temple I visited once, it's ok I guess, but also becomes old quickly and constant screen switching with timers is just tiring.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
In this game melee is gross.
There's no melee in this game, just various positions and delivery methods of aoe effects. How can it ever have meaningful melee gameplay when you have primary content like incursions...
Ship has sailed a while back, this game is about clearing screens fast, can't design melee combat around that.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Melee does feel better than magic feedback wise (sounds, effects, adrenaline if you will), depending on skills (Sweep - lol, when was its animation updated, on game release??). I had a lot of fun with my wolverine girl, whirling blades + hit the bastards is fun. Teleports behind you skill is also cool. It's just that... it's weak, and hard, and with new content game is even less designed for doing something else but pressing right button and waiting/praying that GGG will run out of monsters to throw at you. It works better when you have control over engagement like maps; Press RMB The Leagues content not so much.

GrainWetski

Arcane
There's no melee in this game, just various positions and delivery methods of aoe effects. How can it ever have meaningful melee gameplay when you have primary content like incursions...
Ship has sailed a while back, this game is about clearing screens fast, can't design melee combat around that.

Yes, bleed explosions means you AoE, but you still have to be in melee to hit things unlike other "melee" builds. It still works fine even with the leech nerf.

Shadenuat

Arcane
On the other hand, it is easier to upgrade equipment now being SSF due to so many ways of doing it. I have never got Tier 2 physical claw, not speaking two claws previous league, and my best claw had something like 10-20 extra phys craft mod on it. In comparison, I can now add 30-40 extra phys on claw, or say 80 extra hp on armor for 4 chaos with new system, or like 15 extra attack speed for 2. And there is also Hunter-bro with his unique recipes so you have a chance to get unique claws too.

T. Reich

Arcane
In this game melee is gross.

Let's be honest though - as far as the base damage goes, it's being carried by the 2x circle of guilt with 2x very specific rolls for herald of purity.

I checked it. Basically - yes, pillar does become a bis weapon once you break the 1k str threshold (with hegemony's being the second best choice).
But those 2x rings + lvl21 herald provide close to 35-40% of the build's overall dps. Much more if you don't chuck in other strong sources of plat phys.

abija

Prophet
Yes, bleed explosions means you AoE, but you still have to be in melee to hit things unlike other "melee" builds. It still works fine even with the leech nerf.
We need to make a clear distinction between skills that have the tag melee and actual melee combat. Melee combat makes no sense in a game where 99% of enemies you meet die 1shot from screen wide aoe.
In your example: Zip across screen, rclick once, trigger aoe explosion. That's really not melee combat.

Shadenuat

Arcane
i just got 6L katana. I think game is trying to tell me something. waiting for 4l fedora.

vidos are funny, but I always want to ask ppl who post them then repeat it all by themselves (especially SSF) and we would watch. I'd like to learn to be gud at melee actually. I decided that my next char will be berserker with axe and shield already anyway.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
We need to make a clear distinction between skills that have the tag melee and actual melee combat. Melee combat makes no sense in a game where 99% of enemies you meet die 1shot from screen wide aoe.
In your example: Zip across screen, rclick once, trigger aoe explosion. That's really not melee combat.
The sort of melee combat where you must manually hit every enemy with a piece of metal will never work in PoE though. At least not in away that is competitive with builds that can destroy half a screen at once.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I ripped at tier 12 corrupted map to a warband boss (they had some good mods). I really need to learn which maps have bosses that are hard, and which are pushovers. As it was, I died in like 2 seconds before I even parsed what was going on. So close to level 90 too...

Now taking suggestions for build I should play next. I have like 100c to my name, so not poor, but not rolling in wealth either. This build had 5k hp and 3.5k ES (+ trickster defenses), and I still died, so I would not mind being recommended something that is entirely immortal, kthx.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
don't know if there is such thing, at least in realm of 100c. Every time I play game again I feel like they make enemies hit twice harder. I have almost 7k total myself, and died to raging chicken with a bow which I never even knew was a meme boss, always killed one easy.

Added CWDT Vortex More Range Blind, since my cast speed is even faster placed teleport into just single slot. Progressed to grab Inquisitor's consecrated ground for quality of life and crit near me. People usually take just more damage but I want to try that regen + immunity to stuff. So far everything is smooth but I need to do something with that Chaos damage. It's like every third monster has some, including machete wielding ex-craftbitches.

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
75998ebe3c.jpg

Welp, that ends this character I guess. Died to the fence. LMP fireballs hit me/the fence so I got shotgunned to hell by two powerful crits/frenzy on death magic packs. Mapmods arent even scary in any way, just LMP. And a fence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom