Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Herumor

Scholar
Does Paradox normally participate in PAX East? I'm not familiar with all these events.

Gameplay footage is a must in the next few months, if they want to keep the interest in the game alive, especially if they keep up their promise to release in Q1 2020.

Sentinel

Arcane
goOVtKT.jpg

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Does Paradox normally participate in PAX East? I'm not familiar with all these events.

Gameplay footage is a must in the next few months, if they want to keep the interest in the game alive, especially if they keep up their promise to release in Q1 2020.
Not that I know of, because they have their own events and stuff. But if they're trying to hype something new it probably would be a good idea to show up, so maybe they will

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

It's all very well you so brutally mocking me but I seriously believe that I was born an attack helicopter in a mans body and am currently having propellers afixed to my spine, I may never fly, I may never rain death down upon the masses, or do anything a real attack helicopter can, but I can mutilate myself and play let's pretend and your brutal oppression will not stop that shitlord.

Oh never mind I want to larp as a chest of drawers now.
Not only is the joke pathetic and tasteless(I will not get into why lest infinitron deletes the thread), it is most importantly unfunny. There is no suspension, no punchline, no wit. I understand that your persona on this forum is the lovable clueless boomer with a pint in hand and elf bones under your feet, but you are going too hard on the boomerdom right now.

Arulan

Cipher
TheSentinel How dare you include me in your stalker scrapbook!

:betrayed:

But really, are we back to attacking developers and other communities? You're the whining usual suspects he was talking about.

In other news, I've seen a lot of people playing Bloodlines for the first time. That can only be :incline:. Unless they get forever lost in the sewers...

Black

Arcane
You're the whining usual suspects he was talking about.
Boo hoo, call me when it's the Codex that campaigns for banning of video games. Until then, being called "usual suspects" by tards who feel they're the moral gatekeepers of media is a badge of honour.

Terra

Cipher
EatChildren's an ex-NeoGAF mod, his "SJWs don't exist guys" stance is totally unbiased I'm sure.

Black

Arcane
It's always the same.
"We want to censor and limit what can be put in a video game or any other art form"
vs
"We want these people to fucking stop their meddling in creativity"

SEE, BOTH SIDES ARE EXACTLY THE SAME

hexer

WDYM? Dark Messiah of Might & Magic was fun!
Unless your reflexes got rusty then it's time to work on that :smug:

Missed this. In the immortal words of Josh Sawyer
I feel that a 1st person perspective will always handicap melee. The biggest problems are low situational awareness (due to the proximity of enemies and the limitations of FoV -- in fact the DMoMM designer admitted that enemies effectively hold back when out of view to deal with this problem), poor readability of your own character's attacks (for the same reason), and poor depth perception (a DMoMM designer admitted that their hit detection effectively "cheats" to help the player).

I sort of view first-person melee like turbine-powered motorcycles. You can make a well-executed turbine-powered motorcycle. Unfortunately, turbines are poorly suited for the sort of use that motorcycles actually see in most applications. DMoMM was the most viscerally satisfying first-person melee I've seen yet, but I found it frustrating to actually play.

Holy shit! Sawyer is like a nerd who cannot into sports, so he writes a thesis that claims all who enjoy the sports are wrong, and only he is right :roll:
Please don't let him poison your mind, if you liked DMoMM - you liked it regardless of what he says, and if you haven't, you haven't for your own subjective reasons.

Codex Year of the Donut

I feel that a 1st person perspective will always handicap melee. The biggest problems are low situational awareness (due to the proximity of enemies and the limitations of FoV -- in fact the DMoMM designer admitted that enemies effectively hold back when out of view to deal with this problem), poor readability of your own character's attacks (for the same reason), and poor depth perception (a DMoMM designer admitted that their hit detection effectively "cheats" to help the player).

I sort of view first-person melee like turbine-powered motorcycles. You can make a well-executed turbine-powered motorcycle. Unfortunately, turbines are poorly suited for the sort of use that motorcycles actually see in most applications. DMoMM was the most viscerally satisfying first-person melee I've seen yet, but I found it frustrating to actually play.
I'm not sure if I agree with him on that specific issue, but he's right with the implication that first person view is a terrible representation of what a human's vision is like.
Somewhat unintuitively, third person view is often a better approximation of a human's vision than any(non-augmented) first person view ever will be. Maybe this will change as VR becomes more popular.
rBGpV4a.png

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Friendly reminder that modern western white women are the most protected and coddled group of peoples to ever exist in the history of humanity.
true in a deracinated, universalist, judaised sense, but nonsense in the existential sense where it matters - it's actually open season on them since their natural protector, their only protector, that being the men of their race, their fathers, their brothers and significant others, are disempowered from actually asserting themselves in that role, and resultantly women are more insecure, more unhappy, more neurotic and dysfunctional than ever

holding it against white women that they're being catered to as an interest group (what you see is as being "coddled" but what's actually been the process of turning them into labour units under the guise of empowerment) is to buy into the gender warfare and division being pushed on society by rootless hunchbacked cosmopolitans

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
One of VtMB's core qualities to me was how it was essentially a time capsule of '03. Back when the Matrix, trenchcoats, and ninjas were still cool, when dance clubs were dominated by German technogoths and occult poseurs, when internet cafés were still a thing, when people had to peruse sleazy sex shops for their needs since the Internet was still a virgin, when everyone low key bashed Bush all the time, when technology didn't encroach as much on everyone's social lives, and when everyone went through life with a fairly flippant devil-may-care attitude straight outta MTV.

That's not something recreatable today, nor should it be. If anything, Bloodlines 2 ought to be a time capsule of 2019 if they want to realize WoD's theme of vampires being a part of modern society; that inevitably includes youngsters being into politicking again, big tech having an even greater grasp on our lives than before, people trying to find their identity outside established conventions of gender and sexual preferences, alienated loners trying to find their place in the world, and all that SJW entails. Anything short of that would be stepping on eggshells and merely pretending. I mean, this shit writes itself. I can already foresee questlines about a vampire and an overly altruistic human falling in love and being ostracized by both vampire and human society, how the traditions of the Camarilla need to adapt to Fledgling wishes of being referred to the proper pronouns, how you have to decide what kind of fake news is sent into circulation, how you have to help out some asylum filled with Kindred afflicted with mental illnesses, and so on.

However, the supernatural blood-hungry setting inevitably comes with some edge, and that world is a hard sell if any party, including the insert minorities and disabled threatened by traditionalists, were to be treated as absolutely or comparatively innocent. Really, all I wish for is non-straight white males to be granted the right to be bastards too.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk
I hope they are careful with this stuff you are mentioning, the fun of World of Darkness is the alternative monster societies coexisting with human modern urban society, there is always a risk of the writers just making a story about the modern human world with characters that happen to be vampires, and this is boring as fuck as the purpose of fantasy isn't to make commentaries about social issues, the purpose of fantasy is to explore fantastical societies and to explore the "What if?" question, in this case, "What if vampires co existed with humans?", the humans are the background here and should not be the main focus.

If you could remove the fact the characters are vampires from the equation and the story still makes sense, that is a bad sign. It would be a mistake to just take stuff from the real world like social media for example and just copy paste the dilemmas that affect humanity on the vampiric society, fucking boring. We act based on our existence status, if you are immortal, your time frame will be of decades and centuries, so social media effect won't be the same for you as of a common human, if you are an immortal undead with no morality, no need to work and make a living to survive, actually being insane might be something that makes you better than something that causes suffering.

For example, talking of gender on fucking undead monstrosities or even worse, gender oppression on beings that pretty much live to kill other people, would be retarded. If you really want to add your lefty things, you must do through a lens of how that would work on beings that are immortal and pretty much are okay into killing to live, if you copy paste social issues without a thought and don't even stopping to think the context of the fantasy world you created, you will just have a story about humans that larp as vampires instead of a story about vampires.

hexer

I'm not sure if I agree with him on that specific issue, but he's right with the implication that first person view is a terrible representation of what a human's vision is like.
Somewhat unintuitively, third person view is often a better approximation of a human's vision than any(non-augmented) first person view ever will be. Maybe this will change as VR becomes more popular.
rBGpV4a.png

If we ever get a perfect solution to representing human vision on a flat surface (monitor) I'm 100% sure Sawyer would start bitching about how keyboard and mouse aren't true representatives of human hands, etc.

He's a lost cause, I just can't take him seriously at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom