Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So it's glorious now...

Interesting turn of events.
giphy.gif

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I backed all of Inxile's games, but in all honesty don't really know where I stand with them. W2 was good in the sense that F1&2 were better, but it was better than all the crowdfunding games that came out at the time; as well as SOD. Having said that, I gave up on POE and still haven't played TTON or Bard's Tale. After POE I thought it was because I changed politically and just can't connect with the Californian lefty writers anymore, but there are plenty of lefty comedians that make me laugh/engage me in their art: Ricky Gervais comes to mind. And I'm pretty sure Cainarsky will make a game worth playing...and they live in California.

I'm rambling...but I dunno. Maybe the industry has changed significantly and the generation that we knew can't take the chances artistically/professionally that they used to - and arn't we entitled that we expect them to?.
Or maybe everything they ever did was a fluke and they were always shit.
:troll:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm rambling...but I dunno. Maybe the industry has changed significantly and the generation that we knew can't take the chances artistically/professionally that they used to - and arn't we entitled that we expect them to?.
Well. The industry is certainly different, but I disagree with the implication that it doesn't allow chances or innovation any more. You can't throw a virtual rock nowadays without hitting an indie game trying something crazy ... despite the Codex standard of negativity, there are tons of good games out there today and more coming out all the time. Honestly we're just jaded because there's so much to choose from now. That's a foundational change in the context we judge everything by and it boosts our expectations beyond reasonable levels.

As for the "old guard" not inventing crazy bold completely new ideas over and over again, of course they don't. No one anywhere has ever done that except maybe Madonna. You're right about consumer entitlement being out of control these days. These old designers can still have some good ideas and make some good games but expecting them to catch lightning in a bottle on demand is silly.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well. The industry is certainly different, but I disagree with the implication that it doesn't allow chances or innovation any more. You can't throw a virtual rock nowadays without hitting an indie game trying something crazy ... despite the Codex standard of negativity, there are tons of good games out there today and more coming out all the time. Honestly we're just jaded because there's so much to choose from now. That's a foundational change in the context we judge everything by and it boosts our expectations beyond reasonable levels.

As for the "old guard" not inventing crazy bold completely new ideas over and over again, of course they don't. No one anywhere has ever done that except maybe Madonna. You're right about consumer entitlement being out of control these days. These old designers can still have some good ideas and make some good games but expecting them to catch lightning in a bottle on demand is silly.

I just remember MCA talking about how he had a "Wishful thinking box" or something to that effect in his office for PST; and everytime he had a great idead that he know wouldn't make it into the game (or was told - I can't remember) he wrote it on a slip of paper and dropped it resignedly in the box. I just wonder if the have a much bigger box at Obsidian and InXile these days...

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
at least they lumped story in with exploration.

modern RPG poll:

- combat & action sequences

- story & lore

- exploration & walking

- companions & romance

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Tides of Numenera needed more gameplay to counterpart walls of texts which were too long and it needs that oasis town area which was cut.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tides of Numenera needed more gameplay to counterpart walls of texts which were too long and it needs that oasis town area which was cut.
According to that poll, a plurality of inXile fans only care about walkin' and talkin' though.

Xeon

Augur
They probably should have put a poll at the end of their games or at the main menu when you start so possibly more people vote on their polls, instead of 1100~ votes.

Xeon

Augur
Is it possible for them to make Arcanum? I thought Activision holds the right to that.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm extremely pessimistic about anything inXile. Games are team efforts and inXile have yet to prove themselves capable of delivering a great RPG worthy of names like Torment, Arcanum and the like. Torment had shorts glimpses of greatness under Ziets (in that weird goo-place), and I've heard BT4 had a few qualities mid/late-game too. WL2 was generally crappy and felt like a prototype game. But there's nothing so far that has inspired confidence enough to hype up a rumor like this. They need to ditch Unity too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom