Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

jf8350143

Liturgist
Uhhh, the soul bound weapon and armor from Beast of Winter is really retard, 100 afflicitions, really? In a high level expansion?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Soulbound items are a good idea, but the implementation is terrible for a single-player game where there are no respawns. You have to methodically choose to do stuff to the mobs to upgrade them, but it sounds better than it actually is. It's grindy and rewards cheese. For example, Gyrd Hwaenes Stenes had to do x amount of raw damage to mobs, so I just kept a troll forever paralyzed and upgraded it that way. It was not engaging to say the least. It would've been better had they been like the Grey Sleeper, where you have to do certain things that don't rely on mobs. Or maybe do specific things to mobs, like "damage a mob with a dexterity and perception affliction with the weapon".

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Feels like going for the worst kind of Achievements/trophies, upgrading most soulbound items. That sword in White March that wanted 5 resses used on the wielder to upgrade felt so stupid to do.

aeroaeko

Learned
Is this game worth playing if I'm new to crpgs? Also is it hard? Because I'm playing through Tyranny on normal and having a really hard time.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Is this game worth playing if I'm new to crpgs? Also is it hard? Because I'm playing through Tyranny on normal and having a really hard time.
Worth playing? Yes.
Is it the best place to start? Probably not.

If you're having a hard time with Tyranny combat, Pillars is just more of the same on steroids. On normal, it probably has an easier start than Tyranny, but it has many more creature types and a wider variety of abilities/classes/equipment etc than you will find in Tyranny. If you like character building, the Pillars system is much more interesting than Tyranny's system, save the spell generation system in Tyranny.

Based on your portrait, if you liked PS:T and are looking for more real time with pause games, the place to start learning RTwP D&D RPGs is Baldur's Gate 1. It's not as well written as Torment, and I personally think BG2 is a much better game, but it is a nice mix of story and combat, and the AD&D system from the old IE games is easier to learn (it's quirky, but has less moving parts) than the Pillars system or the 3.5 combat in Pathfinder and NWN.

BG1 is also fairly slow leveling (level 1 --> level 7/8/9 over ~40 or 50 hours of game time), so you don't get overwhelmed with spells and abilities 10 minutes into the game.

If you're not happy with that answer, then check out the list of Codex's Top 70 RPG's, cause if you keep asking these kinds of questions, you're just going to hear those answers over and over again anyways.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Deadfire is also second entry in the series and direct sequel with the same main character and 3 returning companions. With main plot being so metaphysical in theme and heavily leaning on info from first game skipping it may detract from experience a lot. Original Pillars of Eternity have a mixed reception around here, but I personally like it more than an second game and see both of them as worth a try in proper order.

aeroaeko

Learned
I loved PS:T but i have a hard time dealing with dated graphics / ui. Was looking to maybe get into arcanum but i couldn't get it to run at 1440 without horrible stuttering.

Deadfire is also second entry in the series and direct sequel with the same main character and 3 returning companions. With main plot being so metaphysical in theme and heavily leaning on info from first game skipping it may detract from experience a lot. Original Pillars of Eternity have a mixed reception around here, but I personally like it more than an second game and see both of them as worth a try in proper order.
I actually own the first game, but I don't have the DLC and the second one looks a lot more interesting to me. Are the white march dlcs worth it for about 15$?

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
White March is often seen as best content POE has to offer. Both parts together (I think they are sold this way now) is easily 0.5 of main game in length or even more. Thing is, it integrated into second half as separate higher level adventure and there is no point to buy it if you play a first chapter and game will happen to be not to your tastes.

First POE also includes work of P:T lead writer which is big + in my eyes.

Last edited:

Ulfhednar

Savant
i have a hard time dealing with dated graphics / ui. Was looking to maybe get into arcanum
mt2fbkdxsk921.gif

Lacrymas

Arcane
White March is the *the only* content in 1 worth playing with very few exceptions. Also, "aversion to old graphics" and "crpgs" don't mingle well, you're gonna have a bad time.

jf8350143

Liturgist
You can play Deadfire without playing the first game just fine.

Also Deadfire is one of the most casual friendly CRPGs out there, so I'd say it's a pretty good way to start.

entr0py

Scholar
If I were you, I would start with PoE1 + White March. As others have mentioned the White March campaign is a high point in the entire series so I think its definitely worth getting it. PoE2 is the better game from a strictly technical standpoint, and the undeniably lame main quest is more enjoyable/understandable if you played PoE1 (you can even import your previous choices into PoE2, admittedly though they have very limited effects). Character builds also became a lot more diverse in the second installment thanks to multiclassing, so again it would be a better idea to start with the more straightforward first game, if you are new to the franchise. Once you played the first game and liked it, just snatch the final edition of PoE 2 with all DLCs as they add a lot to the base game. Devs were really amazing on PoE2 they have added a lot post-release through free DLCs as well, like the different God challenges, Megabosses and even a full-fledged Turn-Based mode.

Vityaz

Augur
So what's left from the road map/updates?

I kinda want to start another playthrough and test the 6 party mod and Turn Based, but I heard they still got some shit on the backburner + further balancing for TB?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
August
This dumpsterfire is so dead that not even their best efforts to save it with a nostalgia DLC and media features could put stop on the player leakage.

October
Deadfire, dead game, dead thread, dead company.

November
So, this thread is dead along with the game (as FreeKaner would say). Has anyone tried the new mega boss oooooor?

March
So, this thread, along with this game, is dead.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is close to being over. I assume they're waiting for the console version of the game to be certified (always takes too long) before coming out with one last big update.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
August
This dumpsterfire is so dead that not even their best efforts to save it with a nostalgia DLC and media features could put stop on the player leakage.

October
Deadfire, dead game, dead thread, dead company.

November
So, this thread is dead along with the game (as FreeKaner would say). Has anyone tried the new mega boss oooooor?

March
So, this thread, along with this game, is dead.
I guess it's been dead since August, I was just late to the party and then forgot about it.

frajaq

Erudite
The Concelhaut ending is one of the best things out from this game, holy shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom