Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Paradox announce Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 with Brian Mitsoda onboard as narrative lead

Soympires? Yes, that’s a good goy...yessssss....keep eating out the gaping wound of that transsexual....yessssss....

Ruzen

Savant
I dunno, why you guys are so worried about weird political or social things, will insert to the bloodlines. Wouldn't that be more authentic to the current day of age? Not long ago people were casting spells on Trump doing rituals and all. I think it will be more immersive for bloodlines vamp world is alt-left.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
The most likely outcome re: SJW in Bloodline 2.

1) The game will contain somewhat more "woke" content than, let's say, The Outer Worlds.

2) It still won't have enough of it to come across as an "SJW game". Few big budget productions are dumb enough to actually go all the way.

3) The people who obsess about such things will fixate on some particular example for a while, then move on.

4) At the end of the day, when people look back at the game and talk about its flaws, the SJW stuff won't be high up on their list of complaints. (See also: BattleTech)

I suppose there is a chance that this game could go full Sweden ala Wolfenstein: The New Colossus, but I don't think that's Paradox's style. They didn't get where they are today by being reckless.

What worries me is not 1) from your list or the projected consequences you list in 2) 3) and 4), to me it's not a matter of what they add to pander certain people, it's about the interesting and fun ideas that will be filtered out to avoid offending anyone.

Which is bound to happen. Not enough to affect overall quality? Maybe. Hopefully. I suspect we've reached a stage where anybody writing content for any media exerts self-censorship to stay out of trouble , to some degree even not consciously, so it's hard to say why the end result is the way it is.

Deleted Member 22431

It’s set in Seattle? It’s a shithole. This is some pretty peak clownworld we currently live in. Wouldn’t the “current year, 2019” degeneracy be more of a setting feature with the vampire world than an SJW detracting of the source material? In other words, wouldn’t the degeneracy be adding more than taking away?
Apples and oranges. There is regular evil and then there is unidimensional faggotry propaganda. The last is also evil, but it is insufferable. You also need to consider how much freedom they will take away from the player due to a political correct mindset.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What worries me is not 1) from your list or the projected consequences you list in 2) 3) and 4), to me it's not a matter of what they add to pander certain people, it's about the interesting and fun ideas that will be filtered out to avoid offending anyone.

I'd be more worried about a lack of good ideas than said good ideas being filtered out. True regardless of politics!

Deleted Member 22431

Political correctness is poison to creativity. It dulls and impairs the intellect with an extern imperative in a critical moment of the creation process.

It forces the authors to think about what they should not do and what tone is appropriate to such and such group, instead of what they could do and what different avenues of possibilities are available.

This will prevent the creation of a believable game world with different mindsets and interests.

What is worse, this will make the game world mediocre and unimaginative in tone and expression — see, for example, the difference between the exuberance of PS:T and the pasteurized monotonic world of T:ToN. In order to have some strength behind your ideas you need to allow yourself the freedom to break the straitjacket of good manners and etiquete.

If your political agenda is a sine qua non for your creation you are already defeated.

Deleted Member 22431

I'd be more worried about a lack of good ideas than said good ideas being filtered out. True regardless of politics!
You should also be worried about the presence of bad ideas due to political inclinations. The presence of trannies, lesbians or related “progressive” themes is a problem because they are usually presented in such an unimaginative and predictable way that they sound derivative, while also breaking the player’s immersion in the process. How can I believe in a game world when I know for a fact that I am just reading some author’s political statement that I already read countless times in the internet? Anyone with half a brain will feel that he and the game are being used to advance some political statement. It is unnerving and underwhelming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ocelot570

Educated
You should also be worried about the presence of bad ideas due to political inclinations. The presence of trannies, lesbians or related “progressive” themes is a problem because they are usually presented in such an unimaginative and predictable way that they sound derivative, while also breaking the player’s immersion in the process. How can I believe in a game world when I know for a fact that I am just reading some author’s political statement that I already read countless times in the internet? Anyone with half a brain will feel that he and the game are being used to advance some political statement. It is unnerving and underwhelming.

I think the problem is with poor writers, and not the progressive politics. For instance, I think the movie Dallas Buyers Club is a decent written movie with great characters. The characters are trans or have AIDS, and they are believable people with their own problems. It is just that some people in games are not that amazing at writing in some instances. Also, Dallas Buyers Club is not SJW at all in my opinion. It is a problem of writing not with the subject at hand.

Deleted Member 22431

I think the problem is with poor writers, and not the progressive politics. For instance, I think the movie Dallas Buyers Club is a decent written movie with great characters. The characters are trans or have AIDS, and they are believable people with their own problems. It is just that some people in games are not that amazing at writing in some instances. Also, Dallas Buyers Club is not SJW at all in my opinion. It is a problem of writing not with the subject at hand.
You are talking in abstract. Writers don’t work in a vacuum and the temptation of activism leads to bad writing. When we complain about progressive politics we are talking about the pamphleteering way the political subject is handled. In 9 out of 10 cases, these subjects are used to parrot some message. This includes not only the writing, but the world, the art, etc. Considering that VtM:B2 will feature talking heads, voice over and other fancy stuff, you can bet that they are going to use the game as mouthpiece about politics.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You are talking in abstract.
Actually, he's talking specifics by referencing a particular movie. You, however, are generalising.

That’s the exception that proves the rule. How many movies have being ruined by progressive politics? Do I even need to make a case for this?
If you think you can provide evidence of movies that would've been well written had they not included progressive politics, I'd love to hear it. Unfortunately, that is all but impossible.

Deleted Member 22431

If you think you can provide evidence of movies that would've been well written had they not included progressive politics, I'd love to hear it. Unfortunately, that is all but impossible.
Ocelot570: Progressive politics can be tasteful.

Me: By progressive politics I mean the pamphleteering approach, not the political subject.

You: You can’t prove that political subjects ruin things.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
We both agree that the "pamphleteering approach" results from bad writers tackling political issues, which means that it's a symptom, not the cause, and doesn't ruin anything worth saving. If the bad writers didn't write SJW-tinted drivel, they would write some other kind of drivel, but drivel nonetheless. Sucks to be you if you find leftie progressivism particularly offensive, but them's the breaks.

jewboy

Arbiter
I hope feeding on children will be in and any vampsex is sort of nonvoluntary so that at least could be seen as tasteful rape. Also a pigtailed CH20+ chick like Jeanette should be in. The biggest problem with political correctness is that it is not fun. If they are afraid to have crazy characters in the game that is a bad sign.

Deleted Member 22431

We both agree that the "pamphleteering approach" results from bad writers tackling political issues, which means that it's a symptom, not the cause, and doesn't ruin anything worth saving. If the bad writers didn't write SJW-tinted drivel, they would write some other kind of drivel, but drivel nonetheless. Sucks to be you if you find leftie progressivism particularly offensive, but them's the breaks.
It is a cause because there is a significant correlation between progressive politics and the pamphleteering approach. That is not my hypothesis. That is a fact. The rotten hand of progressive activism is all too common in the media, universities and gaming. You need to live in a cave to think otherwise.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I still don't understand why fanatical idiots from radical religion referred as progressives. I mean progress associated with science and philosophy - things that opposed to teachings that "preachers" on twitter using to gather enraged masses of "internet humsters" and mobilize them into "witch hunters". Although instead of "Witch! Heretic!" they scream "Transphobic! Racist!" and etc.
If these idiots refer themselves as "progressives" it doesn't mean they are ACTUALLY progressives and it doesn't mean that people just can parroting their nonsense and refer them as something connected to progress.
Stop doing them favor and connect their absurdist ideas to progress.
Ok so you're just doing your usual railing against society as a whole. Got it.
Sometimes I think he doesn't read what he writing, in some cases his post looks like written by lunatic contrarian. He apparently mentally ill or just troll anyone who engaged in discussion aside sides and fractions.

Mordru

Educated
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm cool with this only if I can play a gay man character sired by another gay man. Only to discover later in story that my sire was, in fact, a transgender woman identifying as a gay man.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
The not so tasteful rape of legends continues. If this should turn out good, I'm going to play read Torment Tides of Idontgivea as a draconian punishment. It's like making Pulp Fiction 2 without Tarantino or Arcanum 2 as 3rd person stealth MMO.

Vatnik Wumao
All of you should be ashamed of yourselves. This is a franchise that originally claimed that being roma would turn you into a habitual criminal with a psychotic urge to commit crimes whenever possible. This is a franchise that claimed that even if you lived in Beijing for your entire life and could speak mandarin fluently, you could never become a kuei-jin because of the color of your white skin. This is a franchise that claimed that african vampires were somehow different from nigger vampires living in the west.

If anything, VTM needs more woke and less prejudice. REE.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
unbelievable. they sit on the majesty IP and they announce this sure-to-be-crap thing instead

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom