Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mikeal

Arcane
You can change stance mid combat. Also if you want to improve combat performance buy sweet cakes and Onions for DEX/END buff. Every buff stacks twice so the +2 can make an impact.

Companions can also be fed prior to fighting.
That sweet rolls saved my ass several times during plot important fights.

Technomancer

Liturgist
There's now Toilet Kruul in the game
A what now..?
Have you tried hitting the wasp one time than using the rest of your AP to run away? I almost beat that game with that tactic!
Pretty bad tactic if you ask me. This bullshit kiting cheese is usually avoided by game designers in their games but it seems you decided to embrace it. I think this is a mistake. By having 10 DEX you can melee/pistol kite any enemy in the game when fighting 1 on 1. You can beat this blind death monster that guards the serum in mole dungeon with a simple rusty knife and a lot of patience without being hit once. Which defeats a whole purpose of a gameplay situation of powerful enemy guarding a rare item (classic dragon & his hoard scenario).

An easy and dirty fix would be adding some action points to blind death to prevent this. The problem remains, however. If anything is having less AP than you and can't shoot they are dead meat. The whole dungeon quickly becomes a tedious joke.

I like how Obsidian dealt with the problem and I hope you can implement a new mechanic similar to what they did in Pillars of Eternity - an opportunity attack. Basically when you disengage from melee range and run away from the enemy with your back exposed you suffer a free attack from adjacent enemies. Naturally, it works only with enemies that have melee weapons equipped in the primary slot/animals. So you can still kite, especially if you have a shield on your back just not for free and without abusing game mechanics.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I think what they should do is add more quests that affect world factions.
Look at some of the big events going on and expand on it:

- The world kept talking about Krasno vs Peregon but you hardly picked a side.
- So Krasno is running low on coal from Peregon, the player can help or don't. What does it affect? Nothing? So Krasno can live on without power?
- Dan's Gang seems to play for territories yet no one moved to stop him until it's almost too late. And the player never seems to have a side to play for in this conflict except for Dan's? You can assassinate Dan and Kolvayev would reward you handsomely for it, but that'd cut a lot of content prematurely. And the fact you found out where the baddies are hiding isn't enough to get Dan involved in the finale? Wow. So he expects you ALONE to take on an entire gang? I thought the quest was to investigate not to mow down 20 men. That was some weird resolution.
- The War for Peregon has two bad endings and one good ending. Yet I fail to see anything different happening except for the presence of a single trader and an ending slide. Why not have it affect Krasno and other communities at large?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can change stance mid combat. Also if you want to improve combat performance buy sweet cakes and Onions for DEX/END buff. Every buff stacks twice so the +2 can make an impact.

Companions can also be fed prior to fighting.
That sweet rolls saved my ass several times during plot important fights.
So you're the guy stealing all those sweetrolls.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can you ride on turtles in ATOM?

If not wouldn't this be a suitable area to host some runaway turtles:
cb22438fc1652488b28c3b4c859106753797c868.jpg

Mark Richard

Arcane
- So Krasno is running low on coal from Peregon, the player can help or don't. What does it affect? Nothing? So Krasno can live on without power?
What would bandits want with trucks of coal?

The Krasno government are the ones hiring these gangs to attack the caravans in the first place, in order to force Peregon to use Krasno's protection. This is an artificial crisis like the Iron Crisis from Baldur's Gate. So Krasno could just... stop doing that if their power situation became dire. Of course this is all rumour, but knowing the Krasno boss Nikolaev its believable.

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
Distinctions are untouched.
And so the shit ones are still shit.

Might wanna tinker with these a bit:
Cannibal: too low benefit
Ascetic: too low benefit
Hobby Engineer: too low benefit
Circus Ed: carry cap & sequence are too important to gimp
Leader: :lol: You do just fine without this trait if you want companions.

RK47

Patron
How about making the Leader benefit into Direct combat control of companions?

I would actually take the penalty if that advantage is given

RK47

Patron
Hm. Odd bug. I was given a mission to spy on the bandit.
I decided to kill them all instead.
Freed the captive. Returned to Kolvayev, but instead of reporting that I've successfully killed them all, I was only able to tell the man that I am no longer able to access the bandit camp.
Kolvayev then told me there's no other option but to kill Dan, which I already did. But I cannot tell him that.
I returned to Dan's Factory and could not find his body.

:hmmm:

What the heck happened?
Did the body fell through the world upon death? I don't recall looting his pistol after killing him either. If that is the case, then what a shame.

Also there's a slight change with this patch, I can't seem to alt tab and let the game run in the background. I used to do this when making a long trip in world map. It's a shame you remove this feature - can you put it back in?

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Although idiocy was a contributing factor, it seems that my combat difficulties were largely caused by being unlucky where it pertains to merchant inventory. When I hit level 6, I was able to buy a couple of leather armors, a M-712 pistol and 56 rounds of .30 ammo. I had to sell off most of the items I'd been saving and spend all my cash, but it was well worth it. Prior to this, all the guns I had seen for sale were either way more expensive than I could afford or so lousy as to be a waste of bullets.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure my guy is invincible now.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Can you ride on turtles in ATOM?

If not wouldn't this be a suitable area to host some runaway turtles:
cb22438fc1652488b28c3b4c859106753797c868.jpg
Hi! Yeah, we couldn't do it this time because of the deadline, but we'll be definitely adding turtles. Not yet sure whether full fledged turtle suit with a turtle leather face mask for the protag, rideable turtles, or just NPC turtles walking around, or enemy snapping turtles, but there will be turtles. The sewer and the place we're planning for the next free update dlc thing are both asking for it. Lore is okay with it as well, though the Southern USSR turtles are pretty small, they still have the neck extending and snapping mechanics of their Florida counterparts if you let it near your nose of fingers.

Hm. Odd bug. I was given a mission to spy on the bandit.
I decided to kill them all instead.
Freed the captive. Returned to Kolvayev, but instead of reporting that I've successfully killed them all, I was only able to tell the man that I am no longer able to access the bandit camp.
Kolvayev then told me there's no other option but to kill Dan, which I already did. But I cannot tell him that.
I returned to Dan's Factory and could not find his body.

:hmmm:

What the heck happened?
Did the body fell through the world upon death? I don't recall looting his pistol after killing him either. If that is the case, then what a shame.

Also there's a slight change with this patch, I can't seem to alt tab and let the game run in the background. I used to do this when making a long trip in world map. It's a shame you remove this feature - can you put it back in?
I think it's a trigger problem, the triggers just don't know what to do in such a complex scenario. We'll root the problem out and fix it in a few days! Thanks for noticing!

Distinctions are untouched.
And so the shit ones are still shit.

Might wanna tinker with these a bit:
Cannibal: too low benefit
Ascetic: too low benefit
Hobby Engineer: too low benefit
Circus Ed: carry cap & sequence are too important to gimp
Leader: :lol: You do just fine without this trait if you want companions.

Can't get them all in one go! We've got plenty of advice, yours included, and once we're completely okay with the changes already in the game, we'll get on with balancing the starting traits. Thanks!

What would bandits want with trucks of coal?

The Krasno government are the ones hiring these gangs to attack the caravans in the first place, in order to force Peregon to use Krasno's protection. This is an artificial crisis like the Iron Crisis from Baldur's Gate. So Krasno could just... stop doing that if their power situation became dire. Of course this is all rumour, but knowing the Krasno boss Nikolaev its believable.

That is correct!

is the next DLC paid DLC/trugrodad expansion?

:d1p:
Nope! Next one is gonna be a bit bigger content wise, smaller balance-changes-wise, but still free. After the next one, maybe we'll start Trudograd!

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Great game, the NPCs are the most funny/interesting since Torment. Is that Klinov tinfoil guy a reference to Him ?
Also, sorry, i kinda answered "THANKS" the last time, without answering the second part because of hurrying. Nope! Grigoriy Petrovich Klimov was an actual writer, philosopher and what you may call "conspiracy theorist". The game version is pretty accurate to the original, and shares his ideas in the tone used by the man himself. I wanna finish Grimoire before referencing it or its author properly!

RK47

Patron
Absolutely well done on the Quality of Life improvement.
Inventory switching between companions is really smooth now.
This lets you barter without trading between companions and letting them heal up faster by just passing them a stack of meat and using it from their inventory. It's not perfect, but it's a great deal of improvement.

20190323104055_1.jpg

Outstanding work Atomboy. :salute:
Also would like to confirm that you've added a new ability: Quick Reaction as the ultimate in Close Combat Tree.
This is the description, accessible at Level 9:
DpuaGgY.jpg

It says first turn but it kept triggering at every turn. Meaning my 10 AP character gets 5 free AP to play after ending his turn. That's insane, considering using close combat isn't a requirement.

I was actually planning for close combat character but saw no reason not to use Pistols instead. 3 short burst from PPS is enough for guaranteed kill till mid game. By late game I'd probably switch to Stetchkin Pistol with AP 9mm ammo.

Melee weapons take way too long to get unless you meta the crafting recipe.
Anyway, finished Survival run in less than 2 hours. It really felt easier.

Final level was 7 and I picked the abilities in this order:
Lv 1: Armor of God to protect from Knockdown
Lv 3: Automatic Weapon +10
Lv 7: Survival +10

5gLjmN9.jpg

Final skill sets:
ROpJS2O.jpg

Order of priority:
Lockpick 40
Speech 135
Automatic 90
Survival any leftover points

AK74 is definitely improved with the 3/4/5 AP Changes.
End slides if anyone interested:
HZa9lCL.jpg

OlA5Sz6.jpg

A2krSIY.jpg

jv4Pk2Z.jpg

ADRoKly.jpg

COjCvo5.jpg

I did the extra content as well. It was not very noticeable if you didn't read up on the patch notes.
Those who actively seek it out should just checkout the manhole covers in Krasno.
Really reminds me of Tarant Sewers.

Last edited:
How high should I improve my skills? Are there many 100+ skill checks for speech, tech etc.?

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
Speech is the most common for better rewards and negotiation past conflicts.
I'd say Speech 135 is sufficient.
For Lockpicking, I'd say 40 is more than enough since kits give +20 and a certain quest chain rewards you with +30 kit.

Tao

Savant
I'm loving the game. My only gripe so far is that i couldn't take the dog because the owner not only survive, he wreck two of the bandit by himself (normal difficult) and i didn't know that the event was my only chance (i suspected it but it was so weird the way the battle was resolve that i though you could meet them again in a town or something).

Maybe put in some random NPC selling doggies or for a quest?

Anyway, good job with game Atomboy . It really lives to the Fallout memory :salute:

RK47

Patron
I still laugh at how random the guns are on the supposedly 'scripted encounters'.
There's a gang that spawned with AVS, Dragunov and RPK. Once I saw those, I knew I had no chance of making out of the fight with no loss of companions.
True enough, one critical hit and another shot was enough to put down poor Fidel. So I reloaded and on my second attempt they no longer have those high-powered rifles just a bunch of rusty shotguns and some SMGs. Much easier.

redsky

Novice
I still laugh at how random the guns are on the supposedly 'scripted encounters'.
There's a gang that spawned with AVS, Dragunov and RPK. Once I saw those, I knew I had no chance of making out of the fight with no loss of companions.
True enough, one critical hit and another shot was enough to put down poor Fidel. So I reloaded and on my second attempt they no longer have those high-powered rifles just a bunch of rusty shotguns and some SMGs. Much easier.

Try Ironman and bleed. Thats my next step.

redsky

Novice
I'm loving the game. My only gripe so far is that i couldn't take the dog because the owner not only survive, he wreck two of the bandit by himself (normal difficult) and i didn't know that the event was my only chance (i suspected it but it was so weird the way the battle was resolve that i though you could meet them again in a town or something).

Maybe put in some random NPC selling doggies or for a quest?

Anyway, good job with game Atomboy . It really lives to the Fallout memory :salute:

Same thing happened in my game on hardest difficulty. I really wanted that dog, but his owner knew how to fight. :) I hope next time ill have more luck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom