Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

steam or direct2drive?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I want to buy Bloodlines and Deus Ex. Yeah yeah, the developers probably won't get a penny, but I will send a signal that old games are in demand.

They're both available on Steam and on direct2drive. Which one should I choose? Steam has a client, which must be running in order to play a game (sucks!), and it has mandatory updates; and as far as I've seen, direct2drive doesn't have these things?

asper

Arcane
Ok. They for sure won't see a single bloody dime.

J1M

Arcane
Get it on steam. The steam client is nothing compared to all the other crap I bet you have running in the background anyway and there is a time limit for how long you can download something off D2D.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
torrent
edit: that way you won't spend money, remove nothing from inventory, don't need to install some crap and show demand of older games by increasing download count.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Buy one of the many copies on Amazon or eBay for peanuts.

No DRM, not tied to a particular service, most flexible, ethical and legal. The futureproof way to go.

Edit: Deus Ex, that is. Bloodlines is quite pricey. But go with a real copy for Deus Ex, it's very cheap.

Pastel

Scholar
inwoker said:
torrent
edit: that way you won't spend money, remove nothing from inventory, don't need to install some crap and show demand of older games by increasing download count.
I'd say that showing demand by buying it off of Steam counts more.
Also Steam is p awesome. Install it.

asper

Arcane
Hmm. So it appears that direct2drive doesn't require any client running to play the game. You simply get the same thing as when you'd buy a DVD, apart from a changed .exe that asks for registration, and the removal of the cd-check.

Steam doesn't sound that appealing, with the client which has to run (and no, I don't have any "shit" running in the background, except for an anti-virus).

Buying used copies doesn't really help anyone but ebay I guess. I'd rather torrent.

GOG is excellent but they don't have VTMB yet in their catalogue. It's high on the 'wanted' list though :cool: (go and vote for it!!)

In any case I'm still on the fence.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
you're a fucking ridiculous wanker.

buy the fucking game from amazon or whatever and then play a .torrented version.

you retarded cumguzzling vagina-hater.

Malak

Liturgist
J1M said:
Get it on steam. The steam client is nothing compared to all the other crap I bet you have running in the background anyway and there is a time limit for how long you can download something off D2D.

There is no time limit and I don't run anything in the background. Plus, Steam requires an internet connection to run so if you don't have the internet it is pointless. Steam is a step backwards.

Steam really depends on what other games you want to play. In Aus for some reason I have a MUCH better chance of finding servers for a multiplayer FPS if it's on Steam. Actually in terms of supporting and giving channels for indie and innovative FPS, especially the various multiplayer mods/conversions Steam is excellent. However, RPGs are really just a side-income from them. Deus Ex and VTMB are (from memory) pretty much the only decent ones on there - they even classify adventure games (got some GREAT ones of those on there - The Longest Journey and Dreamfall) as RPGs because they don't know where to put something that isn't a shooter or an RTS. But yeah, Steam isn't all that evil, but I don't know why you'd use it for a non-FPS game. If you've got it on there for your TF2/CS/Red Orchestra gaming then obviously its handy for buying other games, but I wouldn't install it specifically for an RPG purchase.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
doesn't steam use less resources than wordpad or some bollocks like that. I'd buy more games off of it if it wasn't for the fact european prices are fucked.

DemonKing

Arcane
D2Drive is pretty good as you basically get the same stuff as you would if you bought a DVD and can play without a CD in the drive - unfortunately only a few titles are available here in Australia off D2D so I haven't bought a lot through them.

Steam is also good, but there are still regional restrictions. However given the high price of games here in Australia I have often saved as much as 50% by purchasing a title off Steam as opposed to buying it in store. Also some titles, such as the excellent Red Orchestra, never got a boxed release here so the only way to access them is through Steam.

fizzelopeguss said:
doesn't steam use less resources than wordpad or some bollocks like that.

iqbif5.gif

OMG STEAM IS A RESOURCE HOG HOW TERRIBLE>>>>>>>>>>

Its worth noting im also using the steam chat client and wordpad doesnt even have a document open in that SS.

Jabbapop

Scholar
it's not like you're going to play either of those game fifty bazillion times for it to matter. get them on steam, play them, delete them from your computer, and have them tied to your account if you ever get the urge to play them again. you don't have to worry about finding the cd again, and come on guys, you're on the internet quite enough to be worrying about having to be online to play games.

NOTE ON STEAM: It's a good idea to check the steam forums for individual games before you buy them though. Steam has some shoddy support for certain games, ie old outdated patches, lack of support from the publisher to get updates. If you don't see too many steam specific issues on the forums, then by all means get it from steam.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Jabbapop said:
it's not like you're going to play either of those game fifty bazillion times for it to matter. get them on steam, play them, delete them from your computer, and have them tied to your account if you ever get the urge to play them again. you don't have to worry about finding the cd again, and come on guys, you're on the internet quite enough to be worrying about having to be online to play games.

That's what they want you to do.
Then, when they come for you in your sealed underground bunker, you won't even be able to die with Fallout at your side. Online digital distribution is an evil, insidious plot!

J1M

Arcane
Malak said:
J1M said:

There is no time limit and I don't run anything in the background. Plus, Steam requires an internet connection to run so if you don't have the internet it is pointless. Steam is a step backwards.
When I bought UT3 from D2D there was a time limit for long I was able to download it. With steam I can download the game again every single day if I want to. I'm also pretty sure you can play games that you get from steam when you are not online... but I have broadband and don't work for the military so like the majority of PC gamers that second part doesn't affect me.

Disconnected

Scholar
Wait for GOG to get Bloodlines.

Steam not only sucks for its single-user restrictions, it does so much data mining they ought to be paying you to use it.

Deleted member 7219

skyway said:
I don't install spyware on my PC

Yeah, because Steam is fucking spyware isn't it?

Moron.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom