Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

schru

Arcane
Indeed, the Steam versions of the Doom games are run using batch files, so that might help.

I'm not positive on a solution either, and Steam can be fucky when it comes to taking screenshots in Dosbox, but if you right-click your non-Steam listing for it in Steam and go to properties, "Set launch options" is where you usually add everything else. So you'd have "Start in: D:\Games\Albion\DOSBOX\" and "Target: D:\Games\Albion\DOSBOX\DOSBox.exe" and then click set launch options and slap in "-conf "..\dosbox_albion.conf" -conf "..\dosbox_albion_single.conf" -noconsole -c exit".

Just pulling it out of my ass though, can't remember what I did last time I added a Dosbox GoG thing to Steam since it was a few years back.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I'm stumped. The weird thing Lands of Lore, the only other GoG game I have installed currently works with no problem at all. Only changed the target, and renderer to OpenGL. The overlay don't work, but I can take screenshots, while Albion just totally craps out. Weird as hell, but oh well, appreciate the help.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some interesting things about top wishlists: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=popularwishlist&os=win
  • Bloodlines 2 at the top. With all that livestreams and front page banner, looks like it's generating more "engagements" on Steam than The Outer Worlds.
  • I noticed some people doing un-wishlist campaign for games that turned into Epic exclusives, The Sinking City and Industries of Titan for example. But as far as I can tell, both games has climbed up the list since and it's not just because of some games there are released.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Sentinel

Arcane
Valve continues to fix various games for full Linux compatibility through Proton.

Available in Proton 4.2:
4.2-1:
  • Rebased Proton patches on top of Wine 4.2. There are more than 2,400 improvements to Wine between those versions. 166 patches from Proton 3.16 have been upstreamed or are no longer needed.
  • Update DXVK to 1.0.1.
  • Update FAudio to 19.03-13-gd07f69f.
  • Mouse cursor behavior improvements for games including Resident Evil 2 and Devil May Cry 5.
  • Fixes for networking in NBA 2K19 and NBA 2K18.
  • Fixed controller duplication in RiME and other games that use SDL2.
  • Improvements to CJK locales and font support.
  • Wine's Vulkan now supports version 1.1.104 and advertises support for version 1.1 to applications.
  • Proton's fullscreen hack now works for GDI-based games.
  • Better support for games that use IVRInput for controller input in VR.
  • Further improvements and new features in the "easy path" build system. Run "make help" in the Proton directory for documentation.
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/wiki/Changelog

aeroaeko

Learned
Once steam dies I'm done with video games. I am super autistic and need the hours to be counted on my profile or else I can't play. It's the main reason I haven't played Mask of the Betrayer.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some interesting things about top wishlists: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=popularwishlist&os=win
  • Bloodlines 2 at the top. With all that livestreams and front page banner, looks like it's generating more "engagements" on Steam than The Outer Worlds.
  • I noticed some people doing un-wishlist campaign for games that turned into Epic exclusives, The Sinking City and Industries of Titan for example. But as far as I can tell, both games has climbed up the list since and it's not just because of some games there are released.

Apparently it does not show up in the list if a game has no release date data set. Now that Halo: The Master Chief Collection has one ("Coming Soon"), it reveals Halo is the most wanted game by Steam users!

Black

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1301948399254001159
When there is a large difference in pricing between countries, gifting won't be available and you'll know before purchase
Steam continues to amaze.
really old
they did it because people were just buying and reselling russian versions to make money
Those people paid attention in school, they should be rewarded.
Also I didn't see the date :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/valves-vr-headset-is-called-index-and-its-coming-soon/

Valve's VR headset is called Index, and it's coming soon
There are virtually no details outside of a picture of it.

Without any sort of announcement, a teaser for the Valve Index has appeared on Steam. It is clearly Valve's VR headset.

The only text in the teaser reads "Upgrade your experience" and "May 2019," so presumably that's when the Index will go on sale, given that the word "sale" is in the URL.

The headset has been rumored for a while, and became just about a sure thing when convincing-looking images leaked last November. Before that, in March of last year, Gabe Newell said he was jealous of Nintendo's ability to produce both hardware and games, which was a strong hint. Valve also announced in 2017 that it's developing three new VR games, and presumably one or more will be tied to the Index's release.

Despite the leak, I'm a little surprised we're seeing Valve's headset so soon. Over the past several years, Valve seemed to be flirting with the idea of becoming a hardware company, but not fully committing. With its own headset, it's taking a big step toward those Nintendo dreams. (Also, the "upgrade your experience" line is bold. I like it. Wonder how HTC feels, though?)

And yeah, we are aware that it's almost the First of April, the most dreaded day on this job, but announcing a nice-looking VR headset doesn't exactly seem like something you'd do for a laugh (plus it looks like those leaked images). I have asked Valve for more information and will update this story as we learn more.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Are the current VR headsets even successful? Sure, Valve should have numbers from HTC, but I don't really see much excitement about them. What's worse in today's market: They, I assume, aren't good for streamers (or are there streamers using VR)?

Dexter

Arcane
Are the current VR headsets even successful? Sure, Valve should have numbers from HTC, but I don't really see much excitement about them. What's worse in today's market: They, I assume, aren't good for streamers (or are there streamers using VR)?
nvidia-ces-2019-pc-vr-headsets-1021x580.jpg

https://www.roadtovr.com/monthly-connected-vr-headsets-on-steam-have-grown-exponentially-analysis/
Monthly-Connected-Headsets-on-Steam-by-number-of-headsets-hq-1.png

(I think their exact numbers might be wrong by a lot since they're making some wrong assumptions, but the general trend seems obvious, it broke the total amount of users using Linux somewhere mid last year and it's well on the way to 1% userbase in the next few months with gradual growth).

https://uploadvr.com/sony-4-point-2-million-sold/

Also see the VR thread: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rift-vive-vr-general.109448/page-5

Wonder what Valve releasing Half Life VR will do, and LOLStreamers.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Valve has released their Network Library https://github.com/ValveSoftware/GameNetworkingSockets/releases/tag/1.0.0
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/GameNetworkingSockets/blob/master/README.md
Why do I see "Steam" everywhere?
The main interface class is named SteamNetworkingSockets, and many files have "steam" in their name. But Steam is not needed. If you don't make games or aren't on Steam, feel free to use this code for whatever purpose you want.

The reason for "Steam" in the names is that this provides a subset of the functionality of the API with the same name in the Steamworks SDK. Our main reason for releasing this code is so that developers won't have any hesitation coding to the API in the Steamworks SDK. On Steam, you will link against the Steamworks version, and you can get the additional features there (access to the relay network). And on other platforms, you can use this version, which has the same names for everything, the same semantics, the same behavioural quirks. We want you to take maximum advantage of the features in the Steamworks version, and that won't happen if the Steam code is a weird "wart" that's hidden behind #ifdef STEAM.

The desire to match the Steamworks SDK also explains a somewhat anachronistic coding style and weird directory layout. This project is kept in sync with the Steam code here at Valve. When we extracted the code from the much larger codebase, we had to do some relatively gross hackery. The files in folders named tier0, tier1, vstdlib, common, etc have especially suffered trauma. Also if you see code that appears to have unnecessary layers of abstraction, it's probably because those layers are needed to support relayed connection types or some part of the Steamworks SDK.

The library got mentioned in this GDC talk, the presenter talks about it (I added the timestamp) but tl;dr is that writing network code for games is hard so Valve released their own library which is free to use and not dependent on anything, you can use it outside of Steam and even outside of games for other applications.
I recommend watching the whole video as it shows what Valve is actually doing with their 30% cut.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom