Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Bloodlines is a good game because it is a good game. That it involves vampires/World of Darkness setting is kind of immaterial. What makes Bloodlines good is the writing, world design, level design, choice and consequence, and depth that make your experience different depending on the clan you select. The game could be about almost anything (obviously with changes in the script and actors and such) and still be good because of its core design.

Nah, Bloodlines is good because of the setting and what can be done in it.

You are both correct.

Bloodlines is a good game because it nailed the setting so well, with the writing, world design, level design, choice and consequence and depth.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
redeption has good story but fuck the game turns to shit in modern times

it's like a really cool gimmick when it happens but then you slog through london and are turning the game off

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Anyone else thinking that modern times vampire is pretty boring? I would have loved a games set in ancient times or even medieval Europa. To me it seems that all the modern lore is over focused on the murica and everything else ignored,it feels half assed at best.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone else thinking that modern times vampire is pretty boring? I would have loved a games set in ancient times or even medieval Europa. To me it seems that all the modern lore is over focused on the murica and everything else ignored,it feels half assed at best.

I'm hoping a decent easter european country goes down that route with the DnD setting one day. Something along the lines of MOTB (spirit eater inspired) to actually make the game challenging and put a spin on it. Modern day stuff can come across as a bit edge-lordy with tone, writing, etc.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Modern cities during the night are still active and vibrant places, full of people going about their business... Nighttime medieval cities on the other hand, everyone stays indoors, and you get accosted constantly by the guard because you don't carry a torch.

So yeah, modern setting makes more sense.

Delterius

Arcane

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Modern cities during the night are still active and vibrant places, full of people going about their business... Nighttime medieval cities on the other hand, everyone stays indoors, and you get accosted constantly by the guard because you don't carry a torch.

So yeah, modern setting makes more sense.
:hmmm:
How the fuck is this argument for or against one or the other? It all depends on how you do it and at what the game is centred.

Arulan

Cipher

No. I think the modern setting works quite well. Seeing the underbelly of society, showing how Kindred have had to endure under the Masquerade, and the fear of Gehenna provides ample room for interesting development. RPGs set in modern times aren't very common either.

Don't get me wrong, I do think a WoD Vampire RPG set during the Long Night or War of Princes could be very interesting as well.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
if only there were a game somewhere set in medieval times how very not boring that would be

Delterius

Arcane
TBH, the modern times thing is what makes it for me. I enjoy themes of the occult, magic and demonic forces together with the shittiness of modern living. That Vampire is so heavily focused on the politics instead of just the action is just perfect. Games like these are also distinct from straight up horror, more of a Secret World or even a Shadowrun (though futuristic) than a Silent Hill.

Mark Richard

Arcane
redeption has good story but fuck the game turns to shit in modern times

it's like a really cool gimmick when it happens but then you slog through london and are turning the game off
I've wanted to take an RPG character through multiple eras since watching the first Highlander movie, so at least Redemption crossed that off my list.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I was thinking more of how the lore is overly focused on the usa. It will be pretty fun if the game is set in hong kong...sadly it is set in a shithole.

alyvain

Learned

Not boring, just overused. All in all, I think that modern setting is a perfect match for vampires if we consider them to be a sexy type of mosquitoes rather than vicious animalistic beasts who rape and eat children in the countryside, as they sometimes were depicted.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I prefer vampires to be set in a more olden era, preferably Victorian. I think it's a great setting, very atmospheric and you can perform some Jack the Ripper shit. Then again, I prefer vampires to be more monstrous or devilish as opposed to misunderstood and perfectly alluring.

Jezal_k23

d8ZUy1V.png

Fitting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom