Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is pretty hard battle if you are a first time player,there is a strategy involving something hidden ;).

T. Reich

Arcane
If I were gonna get into Might and Magic, what entry should I start with? Looks like World of Xeen and the Mandate of Heaven are the clear favorites.

What kind of RPG player do you fancy yourself as?

Grandpa oldschool (early 80s RPGS are cool)? Then 1.
Vanilla oldschool (late 80s-early 90s) - 3.
Nu-oldschool (mid-90s-early 00s) - 6.
"I just got into RPGs" - 10.
SO option ("I like ME, TES and FO") - 9.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is pretty hard battle if you are a first time player,there is a strategy involving something hidden ;).
Is there? I just slowly picked away at their numbers by funneling them into the hallways and then running when low on health.
kind of
You could just open the secret door behind the alter and lure then in,sparks will do fine job of wiping them out,also you could shoot them from the balconies.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there? I just slowly picked away at their numbers by funneling them into the hallways and then running when low on health.
This was actually my second trip to the temple, as I put it off after getting my shit pushed in by the priests on my first visit. In hindsight I should've gone back earlier, since as it panned out there wasn't really a challenge to go with the spectacle. Not that mowing down the army of spoopies wasn't enjoyable.

Anyway, I'm still loving the game. The dungeon design, the skill system and the loot in particular are excellent. I'm impressed by how it manages to capture the spirit of the first game, despite playing so differently.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am tempted to play Might and Magic 1 and 2 on my phone , using a console emulator for better controls. Would I be looking at a much inferior experience, gameplay wise ?

Incidentally tempted to do the same for Wizardry titles.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Another option is to wait untill you can cast Inferno. The Inferno spell was made to handle wall to wall enemies.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm at the Temple of Baa too but in the TCC mod, the temple of Baa is full of power lichs and once you clear big rooms, a horde of skeletons and bone dragons appear, of course, at this point, you're out of mana because the lichs drained you ...

Luckily, nothing a couple of mana pots and town portal can't fix.

Poseidon00

Arcane
What kind of RPG player do you fancy yourself as?

Grandpa oldschool (early 80s RPGS are cool)? Then 1.
Vanilla oldschool (late 80s-early 90s) - 3.
Nu-oldschool (mid-90s-early 00s) - 6.
"I just got into RPGs" - 10.
SO option ("I like ME, TES and FO") - 9.

I went and bought 2 to get started. Wasted the rest of the night on it. Beat the first campaign level by taking over a city that produces undead dragons. Good times so far.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
That Monolith "dungeon" was modder's first project-tier. The best thing about it was that it was short, probably too short to be considered a proper dungeon, but still, that was offensively bad and should never have made the cut. It didn't upset me for long, though, because now I can fly! And rain thunder down from the heavens. Those poor Mire of the Damned skeletons never knew what hit them. And Town Portal at master level letting you teleport to whichever town you like? Don't mind if I do! On a less pleasant note, I'm a bit miffed that I don't have anything I want to spend my money on at the moment. Hopefully, yet unexplored areas will be full of pricey goodies, but even if they aren't, I can't think of any other RPG where money has stayed relevant for this long, which is terrific. No, I don't want to hear about your moneymaking exploits, shoo!

It might be time to tackle Castle Darkmoor for realskies now. Had a quick peek earlier on, got my ass kicked, left for greener pastures, you know the drill. On the one hand, considering its reputation, I don't want to be overlevelled for it. On the other hand, considering its reputation, I really, really do.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
The eyes, oh God, the eyes!
:rage:
ZkVWVfX.png

Last edited:

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
I don't get why peaceful town inhabitants always turn on me when I kill hostile creatures near them (so I have to kill them as well or else they will keep harassing my group not willing to go away). Is that a bug or I'm just doing something wrong? How do I avoid that?

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I don't get why peaceful town inhabitants always turn on me when I kill hostile creatures near them (so I have to kill them as well or else they will keep harassing my group not willing to go away). Is that a bug or I'm just doing something wrong? How do I avoid that?

Just don't use fireball nor any aoe spells near friendly units, be careful with the arrows and CC too, when you kill a target, if you hit quick attack too fast, your next attack may hit a nearby friendly unit.

Covenant

Savant
What about swords of xeen? Never played it
It's interesting, but you have to put up with a lot of bullshit. There are a couple of roadblocks that I still can't work out whether they're meant to be puzzles or are just badly balanced. Those goddamn pink armadillos...

If you want to take a serious crack at it, you'll need to find the fountains that grant you bonus levels and use Lloyd's Beacon to make sure you're constantly boosted in the latter half of the game.

Barbalos

Savant
There's a new set of patches by Grayface for MM6, 7, and 8 just released, for those interested.

https://grayface.github.io/

[+] means added feature, [–] means fixed bug, [*] means other changes.

Mar 17, 2019
MM8Patch v2.2

[+] Accurate sprites coordinates in D3D mode.
[+] Better water animation.
[+] Quick load key now works during the death movie.
[+] Game window is resizeable.
[+] Game can be stretched to get rid of black bars in Borderless Fullscreen mode.
[+] Now in Software rendering mode the view is always scaled linearly, which makes it less flickery.
[+] Mouse look cursor for HD mode, customizable mouse cursors.
[+] Minimaps zoom level is remembered always, not just outdoors as before.
[+] Now you can select inactive characters, but they can't act.
[–] 8 leftmost pixels of paper doll area didn't react to clicks.
[–] Inactive characters couldn't interact with chests.
[+] And smaller changes...

MM7Patch v2.2
[+] Accurate sprites coordinates in D3D mode.
[+] Better water animation.
[+] Game can be stretched to get rid of black bars in Borderless Fullscreen mode.
[+] Now in Software rendering mode the view is always scaled linearly, which makes it less flickery.
[–] Some small cosmetic interface bugs fixed.
[–] Barrels and other static sprites were shrinked vertically indoors in D3D mode.

MM6Patch v2.2

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So, World of Xeen - talky version or not? It looks like it adds some camp and it might be funny.
I find the voices more annoying than funny, but the biggest problem with the original CD version was how frequently it made you swap discs (you'd think all of Cloudside was one side and all of Darkside the other, but unfortunately this was not the case). I don't know if modern versions (like GOG's) remove the swapping, at which point it might be worth it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm using GOG's version, but I very much doubt it will make me swap anything, I don't have anything to swap. Is there a way to enable subtitles? Some of the voices are so hammy, they lose a lot of articulation and it's somewhat difficult to understand what they are saying lol.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The intro cinematics were always voiced even in the floppy version with no subtitle (and yeah Dragon Pharaoh is kinda hard to understand). I thought that the voices that were actually added (like talking to random people in the inn, etc) still kept the original text? Sorry it's been too long since I played that version.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
No, there's no text, only speech. I can understand the tavern patrons fine, though. I kinda like it with text, it loses a bit of its old-school charm without it, but I'll see how I feel about it after playing for a bit. I played with the default party in Isles of Terra, but here I'm making my own since I know what I'm doing now. And I don't think the default party of Xeen appears in the later entries, as opposed to the one from III?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom