Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
He talks in past tense...strange.
not strange, his contribution is the cowardly jewish homosexual vampire self-insert who'll be your neighbour, he's done
You forgot that he is also a black jew and muslim vegan in wheelchair!

Joke aside,it seems to me that he was hired only for the name and didn't even write something. Which is a good thing having in mind which direction the game is going.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
He talks in past tense...strange.
not strange, his contribution is the cowardly jewish homosexual vampire self-insert who'll be your neighbour, he's done
You forgot that he is also a black jew and muslim vegan in wheelchair!

Joke aside,it seems to me that he was hired only for the name and didn't even write something. Which is a good thing having in mind which direction the game is going.
guy, I'm not even joking, that's the character, from the trailer

don't forget Arcade Gannon - an obvious homosexual fantasy of a fascist ubermensch from the best breeding stock, but redeemable, because he's internalised Avellone's liberal mindspace with the same snark, and safe, because he will reciprocate your homolust

he's not subtle

Gannon was made by Sawyer. Avellone written Ulysses - a guy who's biggest wish was to just nuke everyone. Probably reflected Avellone's feelings regarding the other owners.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When the loggers cut down the last tree and the coal miners dig up the last from their mountain, when the guys & girls on the assembly line can't compete with foreign labor because the cost of living is too high here, these people laugh at their "economic anxiety". But when game developers don't get to work at their dream job and get paid well and have job security at the same time it's a tragedy. Kinda makes you think.

I love Bill Burr, only modern comedian that's genuinely funny.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Narrative Designer/Writer
  • Hardsuit Labs
    April 2016 – August 2018 2 years 5 months
    Greater Seattle Area
    - Narrative Designer/Writer (contractor) working tenderly with other developers on BLOODLINES 2 HELLLS YES

Two years of work is non-trivial, and given his freelancing fee, Paradox paid quite the small fortune.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
Narrative Designer/Writer
  • Hardsuit Labs
    April 2016 – August 2018 2 years 5 months
    Greater Seattle Area
    - Narrative Designer/Writer (contractor) working tenderly with other developers on BLOODLINES 2 HELLLS YES

Two years of work is non-trivial, and given his freelancing fee, Paradox paid quite the small fortune.

Does anyone know what he charges?

Fairfax

Arcane
Probably reflected Avellone's feelings regarding the other owners.
It reflected his thoughts on the Fallout setting. He thought the Pacific Coast was getting too civilised and wanted to reset the clock.

Yeah, he says he makes far more money freelancing than he ever did as a co-owner/creative director of Obsidian and surely that meant he was one of their highest paid designers.
That's mainly due to the amount of gigs he's been getting, though he's obviously not cheap. If he's very expensive, that'd also explain why some studios didn't get to him to do more work even when he expressed the desire to do so.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
But I wonder, how were they able to afford him to work for degrees of separation then? That game didn't look like it had some money behind it.

Efe

Erudite
he probably doesnt charge indies same as A+ games
he also helped and released a design documen for overfall. i doubt those guys had much money

Fairfax

Arcane
He's a freelancer, you get what you pay for. A style guide and/or some character's backstory will be much cheaper than multiple characters+feedback on the game's story, etc. MCA has said that a companion takes him months of full-time work, so I imagine that's one of his most expensive services.

didn't he work for free for FTL?
Yes, on FTL: AE.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's a freelancer, you get what you pay for. A style guide and/or some character's backstory will be much cheaper than multiple characters+feedback on the game's story, etc. MCA has said that a companion takes him months of full-time work, so I imagine that's one of his most expensive services.

But didn't he write a character for Kingmaker? Could Owlcat really afford him?

Wunderbar

Arcane

mail.ru money

Fairfax

Arcane
Yes, this is what he did on P:K.

Probably adjusts his fee to fit his employers pockets, and his personal feelings on the project, it's what I used to do when I were self employed.
Yes, he said he has fuck you money now, so I imagine he wouldn't mind making less money in order to work on a passion project. Also, last year he was getting a new job offer every 3 days:
They've all been pretty great - either tracking software wise, producers, or they're just nice, period, sometimes all three. I can't currently list all the studios I'm working with for various reasons, unfortunately. Maybe in a year, but by then, there'll probably be a new set (I usually get new job offers every 3 days, and while I can't accept them all, I do take on a number of them if they're cool and I can make the timing work).
The industry is small, so if his output wasn't worth the money, people would spread the word and he wouldn't be in such high demand.

Vatnik Wumao
If MCA was hired as the narrative designer for Bloodlines 2 its likely he had a hand in writing the side quests and probably editing the overall script.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom