Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Btw, shortly before fighting Genichiro there is a guy called Ashina Elite (sits right after the bonfire).
How can you predict whether his next move is going to be a lunge or a swipe? Asshole strikes almost instantly.
He only does those 2 attacks. Basically just time it right. What I did was as soon as I saw the glinting I just double tapped right mouse button and it worked all the time, perfect blocks, massive posture damage, repeat until dead. One of the easiest bosses.

Jinn

Arcane
One minor gripe is that loot is uninteresting, all you get are consumables and gold purses. You never get anything exciting like new spells or equipment like in Souls. I'm just hording pellets, ash, ceramic shards, and sugar.

Well, it's kind of in the nature of Sekiro not being an RPG with different weapons and armor sets. However, I have gotten pretty excited to find some tucked away chests with health beads in them, as well as those initial item finds that tie into an encounter you had to leave to return to another day, but I understand your gripe.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Glowing items really serve more as waypoint markers for where i haven't been to, but otherwise I'm loving the game. The combat system makes every enemy distinct and interesting without being gimmicky. I'll probably finish the game either tonight or tomorrow night assuming any of the later bosses aren't too absurdly difficult.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Pretty disappointing, the last interaction with the great serpent. I mean, yeah large enemy and all but still maybe something different.
I understand, it could be viewed like, you have this massive creature threatening you, impending your progress, trying to kill you and finally you ambush it while at its most vulnerable moment with what can be described as a toothpick.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I like the simple stealth as an option. I use it as much as possible but I also like that you don't have to, at least I can't think of any place after the tutorial where you'd have to use it if you just want to fight head on. We never got a new Tenchu so this is the next best thing for sneaking around in feudal Japan and stabbing people in the back.

But it also makes me wish I was playing as Ayame :negative:

8fdb731ea1fb359697f1653d9d464d29.jpg

Mojobeard

Augur
I'd love to upgrade my tools at some point, but I didn't do the Souls thing of keeping track of which enemies drop the right materials. :negative: I bet I could have a rocket powered spear that lit enemies on fire and also immediately broke their posture, or some cool shit like that by now.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What the fuck are you even supposed to do with Orin? Perfect-block her constant flurries of irregular, unreadable attacks? Because if you just whiff a few of those you'll get a huge posture build-up and before it cools down all your progress on HER posture goes down the toilet too.

Literally what the fuck.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Try doing the stomp attack on her when she tries to do a swipe. Divine confetti also allows you to do much more damage against her.

Stuck fighting the old hag last few days. Finally got deathblow on her yesterday just to find out there's a second, harder phase with whole new full health bar. Great game. Should finish in couple years.
The other path available to me is that crappy snake section. Really don't feel like doing it just yet so I'm gonna keep dying to old hag. I expect every character in game to be dead by the time I'm done with her.

Does anything REALLY bad happen if you bungle NPC questlines from too much dying / rot?

My guess is it impacts the ending. I never did any of NPC quests in Souls games either so I don't really care. At least quests don't seem as convoluted here, with NPCs actually telling you what they want to be done, so maybe I'll do them in another run when I don't suck anymore.

Curratum

Weird. I hear other people saying that to get the best ending, you need to do stuff that's convoluted and opaque as fuck.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Try doing the stomp attack on her when she tries to do a swipe. Divine confetti also allows you to do much more damage against her.
Yeah, that's effective, problem is it only works if she spams her sweep attack. If however the RNG decides to spam her flurry attack there's no chance. Even with perfect blocking your posture damage rises much higher than hers. Stupid fight.

EDIT: Like right now. First phase she spammed her sweep attack quite often so I deathblowed very quick since this attack is very readable and abusable. Second phase she did it like twice, otherwise she just spammed her twirly attack that you ideally want to run away from. Eventually she got me. This is very RNG based.

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
okay, this is bullshit
3438FEA13D05CF4A5595DAF5A6DCAE24E9C63EC4
This was fucking hilarious, the one armed ninja's name is "the Lonely Shadow" or some shit. And you walk in and there's a guy on the left hitting you and then bam you're poisoned.

Weird. I hear other people saying that to get the best ending, you need to do stuff that's convoluted and opaque as fuck.

You mean like every RPG? Super not uncommon for this to happen.

Sentinel

Arcane
One minor gripe is that loot is uninteresting, all you get are consumables and gold purses. You never get anything exciting like new spells or equipment like in Souls. I'm just hording pellets, ash, ceramic shards, and sugar.
The consumables are extremely valuable in Sekiro because of the difficulty and currency scarcity. To get the equivalent of magic in Sekiro you have to kill some mini bosses (particularly the headless mongs)

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Does anything REALLY bad happen if you bungle NPC questlines from too much dying / rot?
I don't even know what questions they have. The 2 old chicks want rice, the guy wants dead rats, another guy follows a song only himself hears, the training guy wanted to die so I killed him, the wanted guy wants a samurai or soldiers close to him, dead, after that he comes to the hub, the sculptor wants various beverages. Idk about the others. Anyway, everytime I get a message about dragon rot spreading because I suck too much lately, I use a dragon blood thingie to heal them and I buy them whenever I see them. I have 6 or 7 of them I believe. I don't think anyone died yet.
Also props for making items clearly visible with the golden light underneath them. Really cool you can see them from far away with the monocular and plan your route and discover new zones.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
The consumables are extremely valuable in Sekiro because of the difficulty and currency scarcity. To get the equivalent of magic in Sekiro you have to kill some mini bosses (particularly the headless mongs)
Yeah. The way currency works In this game is......ehhh.
Like I just use money to buy pouches whenever I can. It's weird to say the least. They've done scarcity well In this game.

MasPingon

Arcane
The spectral monk is THE STUPIDEST FUCKING FIGHT in all videogame history. It fucking takes like 20 minutes because you can only do damage when she turns her back towards you, so only after certain rare-ish moves. OR you can farm the confetti for 2 hours for a single boss run. What a gigantically idiotic fight. Fuck you From behind.
fixed

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm still at the early game, are like almost every mini boss encounter surrounded by trash mobs you need to clear before properly fighting the mini boss ? I'm really digging the combat system but the bit about clearing the trash that barely makes you do something other than spam r1 every time you find a more complex encounter is getting old really fast. Clearing the trash is all about sprinting and r1ing when you can isolate the mobs and it's not particularly riveting or fun.

It feels like they designed every fight like the royal rat authority of DS2 but with much better main mini boss.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Killed the Monk, maybe 15 attempts. Farmed 4 confetti beforehand, blew all of them. Used up 7 gourds, 3 pellets and two resurrects. Killed her with maybe 10% HP left.

I'm shaking so much I can hardly type.

With some bosses you feel euforia when you finally kill them - Lady or Genichiro. With this one, I'm just completely disgusted. As someone said earlier, the Monk is Fume turned to eleven but Fume is million times more fun. The whole mechanic where you need a super rare item to fight some bosses (plus the stupid thing only lasts for a minute or so, in a particularly retarded FromSoft consumable tradition) is UTTERLY retarded. Jesus fuck Miyazaki.

Killed the Monk, maybe 15 attempts. Farmed 4 confetti beforehand, blew all of them. Used up 7 gourds, 3 pellets and two resurrects. Killed her with maybe 10% HP left.

With some bosses you feel euforia when you finally kill them - Lady or Genichiro. With this one, I'm just completely disgusted. As someone said earlier, the Monk is Fume turned to eleven but Fume is million times more fun. The whole mechanic where you need a super rare item to fight some bosses (plus the stupid thing only lasts for a minute or so, in a particularly retarded FromSoft consumable tradition) is UTTERLY retarded. Jesus fuck Miyazaki.
Why would you waste div confetti on her? From my experience the difference in dmg was neglible. What made the difference for me was using mortal draw skill. You hit her with lb1+rb1 twice with huge dmg to her health dodge her sweep attacks,mikiri her thrust attacks and run away from that shitty 5 sweep combo. With mortal blade you can quite fast get her health to 30-40% and than you can deflect/attack her with your normal sword and with low hp her poise does not regen.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I think you'll be able to buy the confetti later on. Dont quote me on that tho

But you can't proceed to that later stage without beating the spectral monk first, womp womp. Plus one confetti is apparently 300 gold which isn't a small sum either, you'd need to farm a few thousand gold to have a reasonable supply.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom