Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Prodeus - retro FPS by ex-Raven devs

soulburner

Cipher
I think Quake 4 and Wolf 09 were pretty good. Singularity... I remember I played it, but did I even finish it? ;)

orcinator

Liturgist
Quarantined: Viscerafest,
can't believe revoluton 60 actually got a sequel
Box_art_caroline_lower.png

actual game looks like rev60 too
screen_5.1.png

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played Singularity years after it was released and i liked it, but you could see the troubled development it had. It was an ok experience, but nothing i'd play again. Quake 4 is my favorite of the four (EDIT: i meant three and was referring to the games mentioned, not the Quake games of which my favorite is of course the first one by far), but mainly because i like how the gunplay feels and the way the Doom 3 engine looks. Also the weird mix of flesh and machine visual design is neat, even if it doesn't make much sense (although i suppose neither did the "stroggification" bits in Quake 2). I've actually beat the game a few times and probably will play it again at some point.

Wolfenstein 2009... all i remember is this.

TBH my favorite FPS (ish) that Raven made is Hexen 2 and that is mainly because you had to search every nook and cranny and solve puzzles to progress. But that was also the last game that had this sort of design since it was kinda unpopular and sadly none of these new FPS games that are supposedly inspired by Hexen 2 have it - their inspiration comes as far as the visual design.

As for Prodeus, the trailer looks nice and the music is nice, but i'm not fully sold. Of all "neo-retro" FPS games, the one that most piques my interest is Ion Maiden and after that Dusk - mainly because both seem to get the level design right.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And Kickstarter is live:

HUD customization thank god:

af9585c1f76a73922c8ce73fe96467b3_original.gif

Early Access in fall this year, full release in 2020.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Judging by the trailer alone, it doesn't look bad. Hits some good notes, a few others are iffy, but on the whole, it could be good.

Just 50k bucks for that KS seems mighty suspicious tho.

m_s0

Arcane
Looks as though they made it in full fidelity, then applied a pixely filter and took some animation frames out to make it seem retro. Result is off - more or less along the lines of those DOOM mods that pilfer 3D models from AAA games. The uncanny valley of inanimate objects, if you will.

I'm enjoying the recent flood of retro shooters, but I'm not sold on what's shown here.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
This kickstarter is going to help us bring on additional talent, such as artists, designers, animators, and engineers to generate the content needed for early access as well as pay for our content distribution service.

Their page could really do with some more information. I don't know what the above is supposed to mean? Is it for the levels made with their level editor?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This kickstarter is going to help us bring on additional talent, such as artists, designers, animators, and engineers to generate the content needed for early access as well as pay for our content distribution service.

Their page could really do with some more information. I don't know what the above is supposed to mean? Is it for the levels made with their level editor?

Below there:

Our level editor has been integrated into the game and can be accessed directly through the main menu. Every level has a leader board showing fastest times of any%, 100%, and zero death runs. The content distribution system will let mappers share their work with everyone. The future goal is to allow players the ability to browse, play, and rate maps and campaigns across all platforms.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

I wonder to what degree the whole "3d game but with sprited enemies/player hands" shtick is WIP, but I gotta say it looks pretty weird.

Hope the red flash-up damage indicator (tm) can be turned off because it's lame.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Singularity, Quake 4 and Wolf 09 were mediocre at best.

All those games are hot garbage.

Quake 4 was hot garbage. Wolfenstein '09 was actually pretty good, I thought. Not amazing but solid shooting, cool weapons, decent environments with some openness. I've played through it multiple times. Granted I have a hard-on for retro future type shit, so it's up my alley. Singularity I remember being an okay Bioshock clone but too linear, IIRC.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

I wonder to what degree the whole "3d game but with sprited enemies/player hands" shtick is WIP, but I gotta say it looks pretty weird.

Hope the red flash-up damage indicator (tm) can be turned off because it's lame.

If they really want to improve visual clarity, they should start by scaling down that intrusive-ass Metroid Prime HUD.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh hey, they've got the creator of Doom megawad Eviternity: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prodeus/prodeus/posts/2468899

The Dragonfly has landed! A new addition to the team!

We're excited to announce that Joshua 'Dragonfly' O'Sullivan is joining the Prodeus Dev Team!
507a2964772ee4748fbf09eccd1dd762_original.gif

Who's Dragonfly? A long time modder of the Doom community, Josh has designed over 100+ levels that range from single player / Co-op / and Multiplayer designs. He's very agile and will become a crucial part of the Prodeus Team. With his design expertise on board, Prodeus's future is looking very bright!

Twitter announcement: Link

Check out his latest Doom WAD Project called "Eviternity" : Rock Paper Shotgun

A word from Josh:

Hey there, I'm Dragonfly and I'm incredibly excited to say that I have joined the Prodeus Dev Team as a dedicated level designer!

You may have heard of me before if you're one of the thousands into the 'Classic Doom scene' - but if you're not part of that please allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Joshua O'Sullivan, though I go by the name "Dragonfly" online. I have a long history of hobbyist level design, most of which are for the ever-immortal Grandfather of first person shooter games, Doom. In my time working on Doom maps, I have crafted well over 100 unique maps - approximately 50 of which were made in 2018 alone! My most notable projects I've worked on in recent history are Skulldash: Expanded Edition and Eviternity, both of which are ambitious Doom mods.

842c0dd5cbba6d27eba2c6daac48c843_original.jpg

Skulldash: Expanded Edition and is centered around making Doom into an "arcade style collect-em-all speedrunning adventure", whereas Eviternity is a more traditional 32 level "MegaWAD", with the classic doom gameplay we all know and love. Eviternity from it's inception to final release was crafted in less than a single year in time for Doom's 25th anniversary.

e86b25281741bdd1075679d43f8e5383_original.png

I first got into custom level creation back in 2005, I was only 12 years old - I bought a copy of the Doom Collector's Edition, then after blasting my way through numerous levels rammed full of demons, I got curious if there were more levels to play or even a way to make new levels. I recalled how my father used to make Quake levels when I was a child back when he hosted LAN parties for him & his friends. A quick search on google and I came across thousands upon thousands of new levels to play, and shortly after that I found a piece of free software called "Doom Builder". From there, an addiction to level design was born.

81e426008e41686f4383875e07dc7656_original.png

I've had experience in a number of engines and games, having made maps for a wide variety of FPS games - Doom, Doom2, Heretic, Hexen, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 Arena, Counter Strike: Source... the list goes on. I have even dabbled in console games, making custom Super Mario 64 levels and other maps for similar titles at one point.

I hope to bring this wealth of experience and knowledge to the Prodeus development team, and continue to improve while I'm here! Both Jason and Mike are veteran game developers, and I'm incredibly pleased to be working alongside such accomplished developers on an exciting new game!

28848a82386e5d6d176b3193a36ab089_original.png

For those of you discovering Prodeus who have had experience with other level editors; let me just say you are in for a treat! The bespoke level editing tools packaged with Prodeus are the same tools the developers themselves are using to build levels. I was able to get to grips with the software very quickly and can create some fun and unique environments that would have been far trickier in other editing packages. There's also some features in this engine I desperately want ported to Doom and other games that I like mapping for, now that I've had them I feel I'd struggle to live without them!

994518a83b7d2c158d85017778d5b068_original.jpg

Please support Prodeus on Kickstarter today - it'll help us commission more talent for the team and provide you with a fantastic video game. The level editing tools would be worth the backing money alone, in my opinion. Let's make the dream come true!

Closing message: We want to thank everyone for their continued support as we enter week 2 of our kickstarter campaign. We have plenty of more updates to come, not to mention the reveal of our stretch goals next week.

Thanks again!

- Prodeus Dev Team

soulburner

Cipher

Not a fan of the red flash, either, but this is probably the first video of this game that looked somewhat interesting to me. I also hope they drop the terrible default UI and stick to something "normal" by default.

soulburner

Cipher
Yes, I'm aware of the different UI options and I like that they let the player choose. However, I think they should drop the default UI and use one of the more traditional and compact ones for all promo material.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Trailer looked super bad (like someone made an ordinary looking game and then added a pixelization filter). The in engine gameplay looks better, but still very mediocre.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yes, I'm aware of the different UI options and I like that they let the player choose. However, I think they should drop the default UI and use one of the more traditional and compact ones for all promo material.

Also please reduce the size of the simpler UI ffs, it looks like console shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom