Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A windy story game

Otay

Bramble Gate Studios Original
Developer
New victory exp animations:

a9m2Czw.gif

Full display:

psmcpOv.png

Last edited:

Otay

Developer
3D Worlds

Kingdom of Rhunia - Wilderness
E2AOTqlX0AYupVo

Kingdom of Rhunia - Outskirts
E0hDU6KXsAANld8

Kingdom of Rhunia - Citadel
E0HemsTWQAI53oi

EshnVvRUcAAX96Y

Kingdom of Etzland - Wilderness
Er5-bazWMAAKtRA

Kingdom of Etzland - Citadel
E0k0ubHXEAMl7vc

Kingdom of Etzland - Outskirts
unknown.png

Kingdom of Haxlyn - Wilderness
E0MYlcKXIAE_s_e

Kingdom of Haxlyn - Outskirts
E24vkzdWQAAgZft

Kingdom of Valimor - Wilderness
E2ggP23WUAEXAZE

Kingdom of Valimor - Citadel
EtkcNNZXAAM8tGc

Kingdom of Kalroth - Wilderness
E1jlEXAWYAYwdSB

E1dpaGfWUAMP7MR

Kingdom of Talonovia - Town Harbor
EsmMmBhXYAAcR9U

Kingdom of Talonovia - Backlands
E1iPb8EXsAMS2BS

Kingdom of Talonovia - Outskirts
E1ZMRFiX0AEqo84

Last edited:

Otay

Developer
Ritual Shrines

The player accumulates various types of loot from battles, some of which can be donated at shrines to perform rituals that permanently boost various stats.

EtASNtPXUAAjLW5

Es9sQ4LXEAAdOLo

Es9ZqhNXMAI8Qr2

Es87anZXIAAhSjb

Last edited:

Otay

Developer
Inventory

Here's the inventory so far. Updates are planned for adding equipable features for the Valimor campaign.
  • Currencies
  • Ritual donations
  • Equipment

EsTIxzVW4AQz2Bp

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I know what living with pain 24/7 is like, though mine must be the only the smallest fraction of what you're dealing with, since I can function 'normally'. Only in rare occasions does it manage to make me stray from my average behaviour.
What helps me thru most of the time, is a particular mean of meditation I've developed for myself. It doesn't make the pain go away, but it makes dealing with it easier.
I could try and give you some directions; send me a pm if you wanna give it a shot.

In any case, hope the pain subsides man. Best to ya.

Otay

Developer
ROTT Wiki
Created a wiki for the game.

Update: The wiki is down for now. This website was being hosted locally from home, but then becoming homeless messed things up. There are probably configuration issues to work through both for the wiki application and the router...

D6suWwpWsAQyct2

Last edited:

Otay

Developer
Gameplay Videos
Here's a full playthru of 1.5.3L, up to the Valimor campaign's level 1000 Basilisk pit. Several hours of content even for an experienced runner. Valimor's campaign is still a work in progress here, but plays OK.

Last edited:

Otay

Developer
The to do list is dwindling, valkyrie skills are all implemented and polished

I revised a few skill icons yesterday, and today i finally implemented one of my favorite skills "Volt retaliation"

Volt retaliation was one of the first skills I designed (back in like 2013?)
My brute force implementation of it back then had code all over the place, and now i am very happy to have this skill completely described by a set of generalized attributes specified in a single file.
Also the new glyph icon for it is sexy as hell (Yellow thingy.)

DhhJ7uF.png

9PFClVq.png

So when the valkyrie gets attacked, it retaliates based on how many of those yellow glyphs youve collected, which is pretty satisfying

looks like this:

cN2516L.gif

(but i guess its less satisfying with the gif framerate)

Otay

Developer
this is what ill be using to write the dialog of the game

vwRBdiU.gif

i just redecorated the boss zone for'The Temple of Rhunia'

3qJ7LuS.gif

when you step on the beacon this summoner comes out and conjures up the final boss (which is the end of the 'Tiny Demo')

E494M7h.gif

this is pure coincidence, but when you google image search the name i made up for the 'goddess of natures cruelty' you get criminals, sex trafficking, and funerals

https://www.google.com/search?q="rhunia"&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

i like the idea that all the evil in the game revolves around something "natural", so im going to try to maintain that as a theme.
when i was a kid at the beach, i remember getting trapped under a wave tumbling several times disoriented with salt shooting up my nose, and later, my parents forced me to join swim team, and forced me to compete in what my coach said were 'optional' competition.

my parents willful mentality, and the way they always ignored my body language, and never listened to me, is exactly like the natural unwavering force of an ocean.

and killing bad guys, or becoming estranged from my family, wont bring any closure to the concepts of fear, shame, or being trapped and ignored by pure, blind, natural force

the problem solving ability needed to balance your stats and skills is a "real life" ability
and i would really like the dialog to also reflect some universal problems we face in a multitude of ways in "real life", or something like that

welp its 7:16 AM and i pulled an all nighter, im going to quit rambling and pass out now

Otay

Developer
9 o'clock in the morning, ive been up all night again lolz

just finished implementing all the wizard skills and touched up the graphics

6qd5OZE.jpg

im really happy with how these skill tree graphics are turning out, this shit had been making me anxious for a while

when it comes to 3d art im super into it, i have a lot of fun and never worry about whether it will come out bad or not.
but with these 2d icons i am aimlessly trial-and-error guessing, with hardly any sense of technique

before i start an icon sometimes i think "oh this would be cool with a foot or a sword or something" and then dozens of attempts to draw what i want, slowly becomes me just playing around with shapes and filters, and then magically i find something that just works (usually by accident)

i keep trying to make gifs but forget the framerate kinda ruins it

Spp5ro6.gif

on a related note im also a bit nervous about drawing additional 2d characters, i have like thirty ideas for enemies and npcs
but for that, i plan on really getting in the zone with pencil and paper, right after i finish all this coding and UI stuff
(all my UI art is done with mouse and keyboard)

---

When I graduated last year and wanted to kill myself, I called my elementary school art teacher (we still keep in touch.)
She let me spend a few days at her house, fed me some great meals, and shared stories about tough times from when she was young.
And her husband took me to my first "al-anon" meeting after calling out my angry man-child father for being an abusive alcoholic.

We went to her studio, which is like this little air conditioned building full of art supplies in her backyard.
She painted something for her husband as a valentines gift, and suggested that I paint some thank you notes for all my graduation gifts so that there would be one less source of stress on me, which was a good idea.
I had been hesitant about these thank you notes for a couple months, because I was still bitter about my education being botched at a shitty school in a degenerate town.

After staring at the blank folded cards for a while, I decided I really wanted to go bob ross some trees, even though I was sure it would look like shit.
When high school ended, there was no reason for me to keep doodling, so i hadn't done anything artistic non-digitally in like a decade.

My first few attempts looked like 5th grader me drew them, but by #8 I was in the fucking zone.
I hope this happens again when I revisit the character art for this RPG. If I can tap into an aesthetic that quickly again and stick with it, I'll be so happy.

Ay4o48Y.png

My teacher and her husband were pretty mad when I later still tried to kill myself, in spite of all their hospitality and support. I ended up giving them a thank you card made from this one, my favorite tree.

qVx7AEE.png

I painted all of these using a tiny piece of triangular scrap wood I found on the floor

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's a pretty interesting story. Hope you also wrote 'thank you' or something, hehe. Not just tree on paper.

Anyway, how about chucking up a nice demo? Just to get a more hands-on feel on the game style?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I actually like the third and fourth trees best, they've got a flow in their simplicity that reminds me of Sakai Hoitsu's paintings.
Also, for whichever reason, your UI/skill-tree design reminds me of PSX Digimon games. Not saying that's bad, they're actually some of my favourite JRPGs ever.

Otay

Developer
That's a pretty interesting story. Hope you also wrote 'thank you' or something, hehe. Not just tree on paper.

Anyway, how about chucking up a nice demo? Just to get a more hands-on feel on the game style?

enhanced-buzz-28895-1301694293-0.jpg

I actually like the third and fourth trees best, they've got a flow in their simplicity that reminds me of Sakai Hoitsu's paintings.
Also, for whichever reason, your UI/skill-tree design reminds me of PSX Digimon games. Not saying that's bad, they're actually some of my favourite JRPGs ever.

Thanks man.

Last edited:

Otay

Developer
The first 'Otay' username I've used was created on 4/4/2013.

To follow the pattern, let's aim for 5/5 to be the birthday of the demo

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom