Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate If I could change one thing about Baldur's Gate 2 (that long, linear main quest)

razvedchiki

Erudite
hands off bg2!go shit upon poe or something you dumbfucks,yea it had flaws but what game hasent?
still beats the shit out of modern "reimagines" and nostalgia ripoffs.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
#1 bad thing about bg2 is the animetard spiky shields
#2 bad thing is the main plot which is cringe and shit up until the cutscene with Irenicus and the drow where it becomes okay, and Irenicus even gets a really good monologue at the big elf tree itself.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
2wx3wv.jpg

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
The one thing I hated about BG2 was not keeping your party from BG. I get the mandatory Imoen, but I wish they made it possible to import your party composition from BG, so your former party members would be in the cells with you instead of forcing Minsc & Jaheira down your throat.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I ended BG1 with Khalid and Dynaheir, having gotten Minsc and Jaheira killed deliberately. Was very mad about bg2 start.
Also, the bg2 portraits suck in comparison to the bg1 portraits - can we all agree the bg1 portraits are the best in any rpg?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The one thing I hated about BG2 was not keeping your party from BG. I get the mandatory Imoen, but I wish they made it possible to import your party composition from BG, so your former party members would be in the cells with you instead of forcing Minsc & Jaheira down your throat.

p sure you can just tell them to fuck off right from the start.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title

p sure you can just tell them to fuck off right from the start.
Sure you can, but that's not my point. My point is that all you did in BG was just wiped out and they became "canon" party, even if you killed them in BG like BING XI LAO did.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
it’s a setting where each temple sell ressurection service. why people reapparing after death feel strange?

laclongquan

Arcane
Sober Characters who can walk in a straight line to where I click them too
Arcanum has got to be the worst in that regard. Click on a spot to the right and the next thing you know, your toon walks in from the north...
Ha. Ha. Ha. I laugh.

Icewind Dale 2 is THE worst. If you compare Bg2 pathfinding and IWD2's, you gotta wonder what the heck did they mess around in its code back among the days.

I ended BG1 with Khalid and Dynaheir, having gotten Minsc and Jaheira killed deliberately. Was very mad about bg2 start.

Jaheira is understandable as she's planned to be long time companion (Gorion's partners who are supposed to find the Ward after his death). But Minsc is a bit forced as he can be ignored while advancing main quest.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
it’s a setting where each temple sell ressurection service. why people reapparing after death feel strange?
Because they died somewhere in a dungeon or a wilderness area and I'd be curious to know who went to search for their corpses to carry them to a temple and resurected them, and what the fuck do they do in Irenicus dungeon. It's pretty obvious that they and Khalid (RIP) are supposed to be your party members.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

And then you realize Monty is dead, Xzar won't join you, but you can instead get Cernd. Oh frabjous joy!

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Add an option to suck on some of that delicious Tree of Life energy and kill Ellesime. Just before Irenicus drags you to hell.
Joneleth now feels a bit weird about everything, now when his ex is dead and you are more competent villain.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
In AD&D 1st and 2nd ed, Elves could not technically be resurrected, nor could druids I think. You also couldn't be resurrected if your body was destroyed or died in certain ways (disintegrate/acid) but resurrect didn't need much.

Either way, you start BG2 with 89k exps. They start you at 7th level and you need to be 9th level to cast Raise Dead. Think they do this on purpose, as once you leave Irenicus' Domain, you are level 9 and can't return.

But this goes to the heart of what I'd change. They pretty much made sure there was no way you could raise Kahlid because they were forcing you to keep Jahera FOR THE LOVE STORY LATER IN THE GAME. They could have allowed you to raise that coward, but hey, we are telling a story here! I remember dead bodies being carry-able in BG1 and 2 - but not this guy. I know they kept him dead to force the story. Look, I didn't like him, you didn't like him. But I like choices!

Either way - I'd also change:
* Get rid of the starter dungeon - forced training areas are a horror. There are mods for this, but still I kind of would have preferred a traditional starting outside and adding the chars I want.
* That raise 20,000 gold so you can proceed pissed me off - well, here, you'll get extravagant gold rewards, but it'll stop once you clear this area
* That Ring of Human Influence (CHA 18) outside the big tent was a ridiculously powerful magic item at the beginning of the game.
* The price difference between the shit I had and the shit I'd like to buy was crazy. Stuff I had - cost about 2,000 gold for my armor. The armor I wanted from the shops? 15,000 gold. Think it was 20,000 for a belt of hill giant strength, and I seemed to always be broke. Don't think I was able to buy any of the sweet Planescape: Torment loot that was dangled in front of me in the first city. It was too expensive.

laclongquan

Arcane
1. Shorter Starter Dungeon. I understand its role as a Tutorial area but it's too freaking long for that role. By the end of level 1 I already felt it's enough. Level2 is just too tack on.

2. One more starter companions or their corpses inside. MC, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc. That's five out of a party of six. :autism:

3. Why cant we have any way to return to Irenicus dungeon now that he's gotten carried away in shackle? Look: your Imoen get captured. You find out you need plenty of money to chase after her. What you gonna do? Chasing after imaginary golds over the next quest or return to explore the prison where you know damn well there's stuffs inside. At the very least, you need to recover your items you had before Irenicus capture us, or at least clues about its whereabout.

4. SCS set the two prices up to 50k and 150k which is right, because that would explain why we need to run around doing quest instead of doing a quarter of it and set off to chapter 3.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
What do you guys think? Do you agree with this?

Add turn-based mode.

Well, BG2 in ToEE (with Temple+) engine with a "skip Irenicus shenanigans" mod (and the asylum but i believe there's already a mod for that) would be really great.

Everything would be great if converted to the ToEE engine

What so great about this engine anyway? The graphics were so ugly that I dropped the game (years ago).

Cael

Arcane

Add turn-based mode.

Well, BG2 in ToEE (with Temple+) engine with a "skip Irenicus shenanigans" mod (and the asylum but i believe there's already a mod for that) would be really great.

What so great about this engine anyway? The graphics were so ugly that I dropped the game (years ago).
Faithful adaption of 3.5 rules. Nothing else had come remotely close.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Add turn-based mode.

The engine is perfectly capable of visuals that are on par or better than BG2. Theoretically you could even use fully hand-painted levels in the ToEE engine, or ones constructed with tilesets. The characters are 3D models which makes them a lot more flexible in displaying equipment on the characters. The combat is great, interface is functional for controlling a large party in TB combat, animations are fluid, groups of enemies acting after each other can animate their movement simultaneously which cuts down on waiting time during enemy turns.

All in all it's just a very solid engine for party-based RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom