Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

panda

Savant
Last game of this type i played was Jedi Outcast.
I knew i was bad, but actually seeing that avg streamer 3-4 times better is so depressing...
Sadly I don't quite have the reflexes I used to have and sometimes Sekiro really does demand you deduce the coming attack in 0.2 seconds and react correctly. My neurons don't fire that fast!

Still having a lot of fun.
Yeah, can't even block half of time, but still can't stop playing :lol:

Silva

Arcane
Keeping this in mind: would you rather have a single constant universal timing for melee attacks, or that there's a godzillion different timings with their own unique attack animations? When you come down to it both will revolve around the same thing, it's just that the former takes less time to learn. If you want to make the former more flexible, just have enemies attack on the count of three, which can be a really fast onetwothree or a drawn out one... two... three..., so that either way you always know when the attack comes. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to be given more information about the strikes I have to deal with. I mean, why can't a kanji of a different color appear for each type of perilous attack? Why not add separate audiovisual telegraph for attacks which inflict huge knockback, add two or multiple sound cues or visual flashes when an enemy is about to launch a combo, add a visual effect on the enemy when he's poised, have a charge aura appear around enemies in an iaito pose, have the part of the ground be highlighted to display the hitbox when a beast is about to do a ground pound. When an enemy does a leaping attack the camera always pans upwards to make the type of attack more obvious so you are more likely to reflexively dodge it or stand still and reflect it; why not apply that same line of thought to the rest of the game?
You just described For Honor.

Just sayin.

EDIT: just to complement - I think you must strike a balance in regard to visual cues and alerts, otherwise you make the actual animations irrelevant with players just looking for the visual alerts and ignoring the actual fight hapenning. I don't know how Sekiro is to one side or another (by the looks of it, it's too much to the "you're on your own" side), but For Honor strikes a midterm between the two poles, with the caveat that you can disable the visual cues entirely if you want, and rely solely on animations (in For Honor they're a tad slower than your average Souls , so it's doable).

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane
The worst thing about this game is I cant play irt after work. I am not fall down tired but tired enough to make it impossible to really play against bosses : (

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

You can do the same sort of AI exploit on granny butterfly by doing exactly this :
2 hit sword
dodge/side step to her side
2 hit sword
dodge/side step to her side
for phase 1
then stick to her spawning point and mash her hard that way again at beginning of phase 2
and use your shurikens whenever she gets up in the air (only during phase 2 to maximize the burning of that phase)

The two hit + side step gets her AI loop stuck and she only breaks the loop whenever she moves into the air.

Ivan

Arcane
Anyone figured out the quest in the Fountainhead Palace with the lady asking to free her father from "bewitching" carp or some such? I've googled but strangely I can't find anything.

open the door leading to the lake

Steezus

Savant
Patron
The guy on the video is probably WAY overleveled for this.
I had level 2 damage and level 2 vitality and wasn't doing the same amount of posture damage to him while taking him to red life as that guy does to him while he is at FULL health. At full health the amount of posture damage I did to him healed in the time between my attacks.

The only thing you can viably farm is experience for passive and active skills, which won't make any noticeable difference.

Unless you wanna argue that the guy in the video cleared a bunch of the way way tougher main bosses, thus got access to the way way tougher mini bosses and farmed up some vitality and attack power so he could faceroll spear dude, which, yeah, I guess that's technically possible, lol.

Everything you see in the video is 100% possible as soon as you can reach that mini boss, you just gotta practice more.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, I had an incredible run. Killed a shit ton of bosses. I think something clicked in my brain after all.

Headless Shithead - twice 1st try,
Corrupted Monk - 1st try,
Second Centiped - 1st try,
Armored Knight - 5 tries !? (I did not realized that I have to make him fall),
Two Ninja before Owl - 2nd try (you can make them fight each-other :) ),
Owl - 2nd try (it's easy as fuck, almost all his moves can be punished),
Snake - got QTE,
and probably something else. I don't remember. Monkeys !?

0D87084BE8477D590CF9B808D73944EBC6CCFA32

DED53956C94F0DD26B8F76F0C8DBE911186A838E

86A1414E090B6F27E40C6B25EDFD1EC4593BB020

78CAD09619537EC8BD3F77C22F2D0721FA2D0BE9

Also I got invaded by the same mobs in multiple locations. This might be some less known mechanic.
8060B38C98D345906CC603458CA7A35A866A2825

I've decided to end my play-through because I simply don't want to invest more time in this game anymore. It's pointless when the fun is gone. Game uninstalled.

Also I think I can sense when the bullshit goes off the scale: 3 phases HP sponge boss!? Sure Miyazaki, I will eat your shit and ask for more.

Anyway, I don't know that others have smoked but the combat is garbage. It's not intuitive and rigid. It's like trying to swim with a hand tied up behind your back.

The combat system contains unnecessary redundancy: some thrusts you can deflected or Mikiri however some thrust attacks can ONLY be deflected while other can ONLY be Mikiri-ed. Some thrust attacks are so fast that they added a visual indicator to show that you can deflect the hit but there is more: some landing attacks can be deflected only if attack is landing. There are visual indicators for parry-able and Mikiri-able attacks and audio feedback for attacks parry-ed by the opponents. A shit-menu of choices.

The most common action in game will be to deathblow mobs because everything turns to panic frenzy when multiple enemies get aggro. Basically there is no clear way of handling multiple enemies with this combat system therefore multiple enemies encounters will devolve in (1) R1 spam and (2) Shinobi arts spam. That's pretty much it. I think Dark Souls 1 had a more developed combat system than this.

Encounters edginess: you cannot deflect slashes and slash combos therefore you have to jump which means that you are exposing yourself to damage. Guess which is the most popular attack with the bosses!? Slashes. All sizes. They used them so much that mechanics like Step Dodge were made almost irrelevant. Or you can do whatever I did: run non-stop and become invulnerable :)

Bottom line: The game word design is top-notch but overall this game is under DaS3. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
3 phases HP sponge boss!? Sure Miyazaki, I will eat your shit and ask for more.
which boss are you talking about here?
If it's the real Corrupted Monk, as with any encounter in this game, you can
Stealth Kill his 2nd phase when it starts and immediately transition into the 3rd one
you cannot deflect slashes and slash combos therefore you have to jump which means that you are exposing yourself to damage.
This is false. Jumping has iframes at the start of the animation and you can block and deflect midair, as well as use tools (one of which makes you invulnerable to damage btw)
some thrusts you can deflected or Mikiri however some thrust attacks can ONLY be deflected while other can ONLY be Mikiri-ed
??? every thrust attack can be mikir countered
Basically there is no clear way of handling multiple enemies with this combat system therefore multiple enemies encounters will devolve in (1) R1 spam and (2) Shinobi arts spam. That's pretty much it. I think Dark Souls 1 had a more developed combat system than this.
what is:
- axe spin
- cleave spear
- fireworks
- upgraded finger whistle
- golden vortex
- whirlwind slash
- ninjutsu stealth move

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
that said, the game was, a big surprise for me, since i did not like DS nearly as much.

Sekiro is the Dark Souls game for people that hate Dark Souls? :M

PS: dragonrot is overrated. as it is the mechanic adds nothing and is forgiving as fuck ( at least from the '' mid game '' onwards ). it s really far from the demon souls system people said this would be

Thats a real shame, the "world condition" from DeS was such a neato concept, I was disappointed they dropped it entirely for DS series, would have been good to see it reinvigorated here.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The most common action in game will be to deathblow mobs because everything turns to panic frenzy when multiple enemies get aggro. Basically there is no clear way of handling multiple enemies with this combat system therefore multiple enemies encounters will devolve in (1) R1 spam and (2) Shinobi arts spam. That's pretty much it. I think Dark Souls 1 had a more developed combat system than this.

Yeah in a regular souls game I'd try to align my timing so that I don't hit too excessively and launch a large weapon swing like that of a two handed sword, a halberd etc and get rid of crowdy mobs that way, maybe poising through some hits enemies may get in against me along the way. In Sekiro it's more like you kill one mob, then run away until one separates from the crowd, 1vs1, then run away, or do the stealth kill + run away, deagro, stealth kill again. It's more menial and less fun. There's no really viable way of dealing with crowds other than picking one by one.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bad at the game, like me? Miniboss giving you trouble? No more, with Jasede's patented cheese!

Step 1: get some ash & oil
Step 2: equip flamethrower
Step 3: backstab
Step 4: oil the dude up
Step 5: BLAZE IT
Step 6: keep oiling & setting them on fire until out of emblems
Step 7: if still not dead, throw ash at them and sneak in one attack over and over until they die

Now I don't have to learn any patterns!!

I have personally cheesed well guy, general by the castle gate and seven spears with this method. I am too old to learn patterns!

Last edited:

Nathir

Liturgist
Sided with Owl at the part where you make a choice. Just felt more in-character (Even though it's obviously wrong.The game even lets you go back on the decision, while going against Owl proceeds automatically).

After a 3 phase boss fight against Emma and Isshin the game just ends. You kill Owl in a cinematic and get the Shura ending, which is basically ''And then he became evil and killed everybody, the end''. Amazing storytelling 10/10.

Missed that whole last area because of it. I kinda want to see the real last bosses, but at the same time I don't feel like playing this game anymore. Not really feeling like making a long post right now, but tldr; it's worse then Dark Souls, while also being frustrating to play a lot of the time.

FUCK YOU BULL!!!!
At least it seems like I am making significant progress in that I am becoming a parry fag. Old lady taught me well, and I still haven't even beaten her. I went through early areas just to try if I can deflect everyone who isn't huge, and sure enough, it's piss easy now. I can deflect those early enemies to death, I am even doing that to dogs. :lol: Deflecting even seems to work on bull, so I guess that's how that thing is going down. Eventually..

Yeah in a regular souls game I'd try to align my timing so that I don't hit too excessively and launch a large weapon swing like that of a two handed sword, a halberd etc and get rid of crowdy mobs that way, maybe poising through some hits enemies may get in against me along the way. In Sekiro it's more like you kill one mob, then run away until one separates from the crowd, 1vs1, then run away, or do the stealth kill + run away, deagro, stealth kill again. It's more menial and less fun. There's no really viable way of dealing with crowds other than picking one by one.

lol there is fuckton of ways to deal with trash mobs. Did you even try to upgrade your tools? Spear has spinning attack with massive reach for crowds. Flame has AoE upgrade and fire crackers are pretty much ease mode against everyone but Headless. Ninjutsu gives you fucking puppeteer or bloodsmoke where you can chain backstab whole crowds of enemies. With mikiri and Ashina/Shinobi combat arts you are jumping from one poor mook to another one-shotting them.

:lol::lol::lol:
https://streamable.com/86oh4

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Killed everything after True Monk first or second try. Divine Dragon was interesting but way too easy. Couldn't believe it's over. A puzzle boss on first try? Sigh. I love puzzle bosses but From keep fucking them up.

Now only the final boss awaits. Also concerning feeding the big carp - feed him all the normal precious bait first or you'll end up like me, robbing yourself of several carp scales.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS DAY ONE PURCHASR

THE RELATIVELY DEADLY COMBAT REMINDS ME OF BUSHIDO BLADE A LITTLE

FUN SO FAR BUT FUCKING FAMILY AND SHIT MEANS I CANT BEEN PLAYING MUCH

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Killed everything after True Monk first or second try. Divine Dragon was interesting but way too easy. Couldn't believe it's over. A puzzle boss on first try? Sigh. I love puzzle bosses but From keep fucking them up.

And there we have it guys, game is to easy, everyone complaining here is a scrublord...

But seriously sounds like classic Souls, one mans to hard is another mans to easy.

And I cant comment, I have only just started checking it out, the atmosphere/level design seems great, but then of course it is, its FROM.

Nice having a simple plot to kick it off, and a named PC, though its cute how you still never really speak because "grunting samurai" trope.

Hassar

Scholar
BROS DAY ONE PURCHASR

THE RELATIVELY DEADLY COMBAT REMINDS ME OF BUSHIDO BLADE A LITTLE

FUN SO FAR BUT FUCKING FAMILY AND SHIT MEANS I CANT BEEN PLAYING MUCH

I miss Bushido Blade. Seems like that lethality is what From wants to get to but because their bosses are their equivalent of theme park rides, they almost always over-focus on those.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

And there we have it guys, game is to easy, everyone complaining here is a scrublord...

No, the game is tough, it's just that one boss (second to the final at that) is laughably easy. The first phase is literally what the fuck.

Wunderbar

Arcane
The guy on the video is probably WAY overleveled for this.
I had level 2 damage and level 2 vitality and wasn't doing the same amount of posture damage to him while taking him to red life as that guy does to him while he is at FULL health. At full health the amount of posture damage I did to him healed in the time between my attacks.
i killed him with 2 damage upgrade and 1 vitality upgrade without any trouble.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom