Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Why can't these developers just make reasonable sized open worlds?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Some people on steam are saying that the developers are deleting negative posts. Any confirmation?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Only tried it for like 20 minutes, but I fucking love that you have to drop your backpack before fights to get a proper roll and that it contains all your stuff so fuck you if you forget it after the fight. The devil is in the detail.

Money also has weight. Is this game actual incline, as much as an action RPG can be? Combat seems fine if a bit simple. Not just mindless mashing at least.
Ahhh in some sense it is,but it becomes too annoying after some time. There is a lot of pointless running around to sell your shit for a few coins. The Backpack thing is cool,but i never needed to use it. For now i could just smash people with my big halbard.

How long have you been playing that is seems light on content already? There has been plenty to do in the few hours I've been trying it out.
I am raiding bandit fortresses in the first area. There are not many quests i have seen up until now and the game feels easy. The combat is very janky and it needs getting use to. I have spend 3-4 hours killing shit in it,where are you?

Two Worlds
Have a lot more content compared to what i have seen in this game.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Eh, I dislike the game.

Gameplay, at it's core, not hard, it is annoying and slow, like a discount Dark Souls. Oh you got hit by a dog...here have a big debuff. Seriously, the enemies are dumb as rocks. Target player...stick to him. Friend kills them.
Crafting is okay, exploration is...lacking. Basically here, have a big level. Add a couple of chests.
Inventory management is solid, the UI is a little buggy. It feels like a less shit Dungeon Lords with survival slapped on it.

Seriously, for 20 bucks that game would be a solid 2.5/5. But for 40 bucks I expect more. Refund pending. On top of that...their fanboys are morons.

PrettyDeadman

Eh, I dislike the game.

Gameplay, at it's core, not hard, it is annoying and slow, like a discount Dark Souls. Oh you got hit by a dog...here have a big debuff. Seriously, the enemies are dumb as rocks. Target player...stick to him. Friend kills them.
Crafting is okay, exploration is...lacking. Basically here, have a big level. Add a couple of chests.
Inventory management is solid, the UI is a little buggy. It feels like a less shit Dungeon Lords with survival slapped on it.

Seriously, for 20 bucks that game would be a solid 2.5/5. But for 40 bucks I expect more. Refund pending. On top of that...their fanboys are morons.
They have fanboys?

Jinn

Arcane
where are you?

I've had about 2 and a half hours to play so far today, and have spent a lot of my time wandering the village, talking to npcs and various merchants, stealing anything I don't see nailed down. Went into the village storehouse, fought my way through there and ended up on the southern beach. Ran the length of it fishing, mining, hunting glowing giant crabs and sea birds. When I returned to the cave that would bring me back to the storehouse to return and try to sell my catches for the day, but found I couldn't climb up a wall that I had fallen down to get there, so I had to head around out to the east, got lost in the dark for a little bit, fought some hyenas, then found my way back in the middle of the night. Went and sold all my stuff to take care of my Blood Price. Went and slept, fiddling around with the camping/sleeping mechanics. All the while, I was learning how the crafting and dismantling system works, as well as figuring out how skills and learning recipes worked. Talked to the two who are leaving the village and tried to decide if I wanted to go to either of their faction settings (The Holy Mission of Elatt in the Hallowed Marsh or the Heroic Kingdom of Levant), or stick with the village head (Blue Chamber Collective in Enmerkar Forest). Still haven't done any of the other sidequests in town, besides making my parent's old recipe for the master chef.

Basically just been roaming around, exploring, getting to know the world and mechanics. Combat has been alright so far, but I imagine it gets interesting and more challenging at the game progresses and you learn more weapon specific skills and magic, if you so choose. It's not going to win any action RPG combat awards, but it's fun enough and I could see how it could become much more fun as time goes on. Got killed once when I got caught off guard in the dark and was fumbling between my lantern and my two-handed weapon. I get what people are saying about the field being a little sparse, but so far I've found enough to do in it with just hunting, gathering, finding dark caves to explore, mining, etc. I feel like my time has been filled well so far and I'm liking the things I'm seeing with how the training/learning system works. I'm more intrigued by the things out in the world that I'm hearing about than the little village, but that's kind of how it was supposed to start out. You're supposed to be a nobody in this game, struggling to get a foothold in the world.

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
looking at reviews and gameplay impressions from randoms I don't think the game is for me, it looks too open-world and realism autism for me

p5QlW4T.jpg

jungl

Augur
games trash. Idk why they even call it a rpg. Its a piss poor adventure game if you want to even call it that with tacked on survival elements that add nothing to the experience. The game has all these buzzword tags rpg, action, adventure, survival but its none of them. But its definitely indie shit :) 2/10 game made to scam kids that for the the survival game meme and retards.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not removed it from inventory. Played for 10 min. Couldn't even finish the tutorial, it feels like some cheap indie shovelware crap. It SUCKS. Uninstalled

Mortmal

Arcane
So yeah the 5 days limit to find 150 silver and pay your debt isnt hard. But boy if it isn't fun.

So with the quest, you are basically given a task to fetch a mushroom. Bring that and you get 70 silver. That is basically it. The fun thing is all the mechanical decision you do to get it.

First the quest giver give the description of the mushroom. It is a round, large red mushroom that is shaped like a roundshield. I quote loosely from in game dialogue. So from that alone, there forms in your mind a goal that you have to work yourself remembering it. Then she describe where to get it. Get out of town, take the left road, until a large wooden gate, but before the gate you have to turn left again, until you reach a stone door to the dungeon. You reach the dungeon and search for the mushroom.

The first obvious decision is you have to do it by the day. Night is DARK. you dont know where the enemies are. Your lantern is just a pathethic thing thay tells you maybe the most immediate surrounding. At day, there were enemoes visible wandering tje road. The next obvious choice is to engage and risk it or not. I choose not to engage them avoiding unecessary risk .

I reached the dungeon, looted some corpse and fight basically goblins. I managed to sneak on some of them and lure them out 1 by 1. Fighting with or without backpack is another mechanical decision. It is alot safer just to drop your backpack for added mobility. The combat is great too so far and mouse + keyboard control works. I havent even fully explore the dungeon, but i found good loot and the quest item. After finding tje quest item, i am basically bleeding, tired (your max stamina deplete over time if you dont rest) so yeah , i decided to be smart and not pushing my luck. I left a bunch of heavy loot like the goblins weapons and some other loot i left from adventurer corpses. The dungeon is really dark, and aside from some glowing mushrooms, it is impossible to navigate without lanterns. That is where other mechanical decisio comes in. At the beginning your backpack is shit, so you only have your hands. Using 2 handed weapons means you cannot hold your lantern while fighting, and the dungeon is really dark. You cN lure the enemy to well lit area, or use a 1 handed weapon. I also luckily found a piece of emerald that helped alot as it sells for 40 silver.

Oh yea, money have weight so carrying 10000 pieces of coins simply isnt realistic. You have to keep it in storage where your house is and just carry what you need.
I think the no save system works in favor to how i play the game at the very very basic level of engaging because there is always immediate danger outside and i dont have god like powers to rewind time.

As for complaints, i havent ventured far, but the only invisible wall so far are water because you cannot swim.

Alot of the mechanics and survival thing are really good. Regular berries rot, so cook them if you can. NPCs gives decently useful tips and nothing really hold your hand. In a more complex dungeon, i can picture easily getting lost because there are no dungeon map. You have to rely 100% on memory and landmarks. In that first dungeon for example, the adventurers coprses are good lanmarks, to find a way out especially if you have to escape.

There are alot of lacking feature i guess, especially in town where there arent a crime system, so towns basically are worry free zone. You cant do wrong in towns, but outside. The outdoors of this game is fucking great.

Definitely, at least in this early hours you will get the adventurer simulator the game advertise. All the little itty bitty details even the icky details and all the incoveniences. Adventuring without bandages, water or lantern is basically suiciden. It let go your typical videogame insurance, and leave you in the wild. For the first time, i feel like coddled gamers are have to learn actual logic when adventuring.

There are alot of mechanical planning, learning, and feel of accomplishment in playing this game.

Sounds great and worthy of a day one purchase ? HoboForEternity do you like elex ?

games trash. Idk why they even call it a rpg. Its a piss poor adventure game if you want to even call it that with tacked on survival elements that add nothing to the experience. The game has all these buzzword tags rpg, action, adventure, survival but its none of them. But its definitely indie shit :) 2/10 game made to scam kids that for the the survival game meme and retards.

So complete shit and another scam....

Which one of those 2016 newfags is lying ?

Murk

Arcane
Played for a bit, too early for real impressions, but I wouldn't say that it's a gothic/elex style game. More like something between gothic 3 and divinity 2, with a layer of simulation/survival thrown in.

HoboForEternity do you know if you lose items on your character/pockets when you die? My first jaunt a hyena bit me and the infection killed me. when I respawned I was missing all the items in my pockets and on my character which included my money. I died in town btw (but respawned at an inn and not my house).

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
You can lose everything.

Imagine playing 60 hours, getting legendary equipment, dying a cheap death, and not being able to reload a previous save...

ADL

Prophet
Played for a bit, too early for real impressions, but I wouldn't say that it's a gothic/elex style game. More like something between gothic 3 and divinity 2, with a layer of simulation/survival thrown in.
Been playing for about 15 hours so far and your description is spot on.... Which is great because before today there wasn't really a game that did this. STALKER is probably the closest thing I've played to this but that's a whole different setting.

Murk

Arcane
Safav Hamon Plenty of people do ironman runs of games. Not sure if I agree with it being standard, but then survival is the gimmick so eh.

Though I think your backpack remains where it was, you just have to go retrieve it if it doesn't respawn with you. Checking online it seems like the only time your backpack will be poofed is during a specific encounter with bandits.

edit: For those curious about performance, it runs smooth 60 for me on high settings on my GTX 960. I think I can get away with setting some things to ultra, but I don't care about ultra high quality shadows or what have you.

The arty style of the game is... not the best for character models, but the world itself is fine I think. A bit more barren than something like Elex or any PB game for that matter, but I don't think anyone can really hold a candle to PB when it comes to designing their gameworlds regarding hand-placed loot + areas.

Murk

Arcane
Sleeping's the only way to save, right? Or does the game autosave when you transition between areas, too?

Oh and how the fuck do you pick up a bag if you already have one on you? To stash and sell later, I mean.

So just press 'take all' after it is empty, and you will loot the bag in question into your inventory.

Jinn

Arcane
More like something between gothic 3 and divinity 2, with a layer of simulation/survival thrown in.

I think this is a very good comparison. I would even throw in Monster Hunter, in terms of how stat progression is partially tied to equipment acquisition. But yeah, I think the game rides a line in terms of quality between G3 and Divinity 2 (maybe with community patched Gothic 3).

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Game is nice. More incline than I even anticipated. Dark is dark, night is night, combat is tough, lol'ing @ everyone on Steam whining about it being clunky because they are dying a lot. It feels good. Punishing game but manageable after a few deaths and learning what you're doing. I think I'm in for a treat here, it's even more than I expected.

Deleted Member 16721

Oh, and I saw some interesting things. Wildlife and other enemies interact with each other. I was sleeping and awakened by a bird-thing running from a bandit hot on its heels :lol:. Was a cool moment. Seems making the 150 silver early on is not a problem at all if you take the early side quest to gather a certain mushroom. The enemies there are easy enough that you can learn the fighting system, too. Also found a hidden cache of items including a cool helmet recipe for crafting.

Murk

Arcane
You don't have to spend any silver if you

get a bandage to the guy on the beach, easily accessed if you go to the shipwreck which has a handy shortcut from the storage under the lighthouse (just go past the sign warning you; after you fight the two trogs).

Combat is definitely risky, which is nice. One-one-one it's doable, but not easy. I do wish it had some better feedback, especially in regards to blocks/hits and how staggering works, but it's not terrible. Controls in general feel nice and responsive to me, though there is a bit of inertia in your character's movement when you stop running.

So far I can't tell if the optimal way to play is to keep most of my shit on me or to constantly make trips back to dump stuff off; so far just going at it without returning to home/stash unless my weight/capacity is reached.

I did die once to some bandits and woke up next to a friendly Immaculate who gave me a fur armor when I asked for help. Nice guy.

I do think it might get annoying figuring out where the hell you are if you respawn in an unknown area, but luckily view distance is pretty far, and seeing a mountain or something of the sort helps to orient you. I think later you can get trinkets that can help out a bit with orientation too, but we'll see.

Anyone mess around with magic?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom