Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress now on Steam with a graphical overhaul

Chunkyman

Augur
DF was incloooosive for a while, what with gay and asexual dorfs. The fact that Toady is OK with the idea of trans dorfs is not really surprising, and wont make DF a lesser experience.

I think it inherently makes DF a lesser experience because it's becoming a bizarre cult that no one is allowed to escape from. Unless we can round up all the sodomite dwarves into Gulags or something I really despise the fact the game makes you treat this mental illness as a totally normal "real" trait. It doesn't harm it from a pure gameplay perspective but I do think it harms it "experientially" as playing with that shit almost serves as a tacit approval of the normalization of LGPT garbage. I mean if you don't care about that stuff to begin with it's fine, but I have a moral problem with it and I don't like consuming media where that nonsense is pushed.

The fact that even the most mild questioning of this results in bans and blocks further sours things, too.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm willing to bet this commercial release will not sell nearly a much as they want. I feel like they waited too long, and the commercial DF clones already ate that market up. Maybe if they got it out before people got sick of the knock offs they could have done something, but even then the UX will drive people away from it. I love DF, but this just seems too little, too late for the impact they want.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Heard so much stuff about this game over the years but never could get into it due to ASCII graphics. Guess Ill try it eventually and see what the fuss is all about

Guess I won't after all. No big loss. Maybe I'm just old school but I don't like this stuff being pushed in my face.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Heard so much stuff about this game over the years but never could get into it due to ASCII graphics. Guess Ill try it eventually and see what the fuss is all about

Guess I won't after all. No big loss. Maybe I'm just old school but I don't like this stuff being pushed in my face.
If it's just about the game, you still can. There is nothing being pushed to your face. Honestly, before all that I didn't even know Dwarves had genders to begin with - I just assumed they kinda "plop!" into existence :lol:
Nah, it really is just some stat with almost no influence at all - which of course makes it all the weirder that it is a "priority" for the developer...

Missing out on the game isn't a good idea, it's just too unique. Handing the developer money is a different thing altogether.

I'm really struggling to understand who this paid version is for. Casuals who wanted "DF but with graphics" have loads of admittedly lesser but more approachable games to choose from. The DF faithful are usually pretty discerning enough to spot "Free thing now not free, pay me!" Or at least have custom set ups and tile sets that will render this pointless. Even with UI upgrades, DF isn't suddenly going to be more friendly. And the blocks against criticism. It's all the Marvel comics route. Plug fingers firmly into your ears till the meanies yelling stops. And it does. After the ship has finally sunk with you on it. And everyone else is busy playing Rimjobworld.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
"Free thing now not free, pay me!"
free version wont be removed after steam release tho, and will be developed further

Or at least have custom set ups and tile sets that will render this pointless.

Again I ask, what incentive do casuals (who already have the free version of the game as I already said) have to buy this version of the game?

I have looked at the 'free' tilesets and they look pretty garbage compared to the new 'paid' tileset, so there is that.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Again I ask, what incentive do casuals (who already have the free version of the game as I already said) have to buy this version of the game?
Support Toady (but that is also available off steam with paypal and patreon), ease of use and installation, workshop for mods can be convenient (depends on modders of course), new tileset, some UI improvements (which prolly will be eventually included in the free version as well).

Mortmal

Arcane
I'm willing to bet this commercial release will not sell nearly a much as they want. I feel like they waited too long, and the commercial DF clones already ate that market up. Maybe if they got it out before people got sick of the knock offs they could have done something, but even then the UX will drive people away from it. I love DF, but this just seems too little, too late for the impact they want.
Which commercial clones ? Except rimworld i dont remember anything nearly as good.

Destroid

Arcane
Which commercial clones ? Except rimworld i dont remember anything nearly as good.

Gnomoria?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Gnomoria?

vaporware

LizardWizard

Cipher

'Casuals' most likely don't even know what Dwarf Fortress is. The point of a steam release isn't to sell copies to the game's already established base.

Casuals will buy the game and refund it in 30 minutes. They want graphics and UI on par with Rimworld. Once they realise how awkward DF is expect a whole bunch of review bombs. The average person tends to fall towards the path of least resistance.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Casuals will buy the game and refund it in 30 minutes. They want graphics and UI on par with Rimworld. Once they realise how awkward DF is expect a whole bunch of review bombs. The average person tends to fall towards the path of least resistance.

the new graphics look nice, also music and sounds, the only thing is not certain at this moment is UI.

Gerrard

Arcane
Hope you're ready for half of your dwarves to start a violent protest after you send all the trannydwarves to the front lines.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Hope you're ready for half of your dwarves to start a violent protest after you send all the trannydwarves to the front lines.
You have no imagination.

Just start some tranny thunderdome. Drop tranny dwarves into the pit, drop some enemies. Watch in delight.

Or maybe train your Tranny into Trannynator and let Xie rampage through the known world!

Also, there is magma for instant tranny removal services.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That 15 hour tutorial will be fun to go through :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom