Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

Codex Year of the Donut
That's why nobody is doing it anymore. One more evidence to the fact text only > VA.
Even if it was text only it's still a lot of effort that could have been put elsewhere, especially when considering the time constraints they had.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That's why nobody is doing it anymore. One more evidence to the fact text only > VA.

Bloodlines would be far worse without VA. Any kind of general statement like that is likely to be retarded. For more traditional RPGs I certainly agree, but for Bloodlines? No way.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyone who doesn't LOL at malk dialogue is a humourless prig.
wte1btR.jpg

(though apparently Wesp is entirely to blame for this line, and he put it in the basic patch for some reason)

grom

Educated
Vast majority of what the PC Malk says makes more sense than it has any right to.
Yeah, it makes sense, and can even give insight into NPCs' motives (which IS a cool feature). But that has nothing to do with whether it's well-written or not.

Anyone who doesn't LOL at malk dialogue is a humourless prig.
You're easily amused.

Wesp5

Arcane
Wesp5
I have bad screen tearing when playing on wine, any tips?
vsync is enabled via the driver(nvidia proprietary)

Sorry, but I have no idea. Are you using the launcher script already that somebody made for me?

About the Malkavian lines, Troika originally planned dedicated answers for all clans! There are still six empty places in all dialogue files because in the end they only had no time...

alyvain

Learned
So I've done it. I've replayed Bloodlines for the seventh time. And I don't even like the game this much. It's not one of my favorites or something, but it kinda stuck with me.

The worst part is that I'm gonna replay it in a few years. For some reason I always give this damn game more acclaim than it actually deserves, and I have no idea what blood magic this is.

I guess Troika contracted the Giovanni to make the comfiest game in the world. You know, Deb of Night, dimly lit streets of Santa Monica, the stoner guy in the pawnshop, the werewolf, all that stuff.

Help pls

Okagron

Prophet
Malkavian arguing with the stop sign is hilarious and thematic. It's not "lolz randum", it fits with the Malkavian race and it also adds humour to the game. A joke every now and then is completely fine, even on dark and serious pieces of fiction.

It was a fun thing at face value in the context of computer roleplaying games, completely devoid of the context of p&p VtM source material. For long time fans of p&p, it was an embarassing cringefest.

Imagine seeing a film adaptation of PST and there is a segment of very rapid sequences of TNO getting himself killed and then waking up in the Mortuary over and over again to comedic effect, just because that's how it worked in the game, and then at the end of the last sequence, he mutters to himself "That guy had killed me before too! Huh, regained a memory, let me update my journal".

That was basically Malkavian PC in Bloodlines, though it also had genuinely good moments too.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
So is Camarilla Edition plus Clan Quest Mod a good combination for someone who has completed the base game three times already?

Oh yes! And be sure to play the 4.0 version to experience a new hub and the Sabbat questline...

Hold on a sec, what new hub, is it possible to mod new maps in, with brand new characters and everything?

Yes it is. There is a thread floating on the Codex about the Clan Quest Mod. It has all the goodies.
The mod is surprisingly decent, but needlessly invasive in the endgame.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It isn't manipulation when she outright says "go kill her". Does she use her ...assets to her advantage? Yes, but it's clear what she wants and why she wants it. Manipulation implies obfuscation and secrecy. She also wants you to kill a hunter who is after her and Ash, if she hadn't acted, either hunters would storm her club or kill Ash. If there is someone who doesn't try to manipulate you, it's her. You might say she manipulated you by feigning interest in you, but that's not the case either, she continually sends you sweet messages after that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom