Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Legends of Aria - spiritual successor to Ultima Online by Citadel Studios

Aildrik

Savant
I have been playing with a few friends since beta and wanted to comment some more on the current state of affairs.

First off, from a technical standpoint, the game is in a good place. There was some sort of corruption/database issue soon after the initial release which culminated in a few days of downtime while they tackled the issue head on. It sucked being offline but I commend the team for making a tough decision and just taking the hit to solve the problem and not band-aid it. The client is stable, I am not being disconnected or kicked offline, the client is not crashing, etc. So from the technical stability standpoint I would rate the game highly which is a good sign this early in release.

From a game polish standpoint, I would say the biggest thing I except to happen is a pass over on professions. Currently, some of the professions like blacksmithing are obviously an effort to hit 100(GM) skill, but very doable if you invest the time. Others such as carpentry require very rare woods (blightwood) to skill to GM. An hour of gathering lumber might net only 50-60 of this rare lumber. It isn't a show stopper but I would say certainly within the next month or so I would not be surprised if they do a pass over on professions and make some balance changes.

Beyond that, I am sure a lot of people who have been following the game are wondering just how much like UO Legends of Aria is and feels. I would say the team did a really good job of making a game that is a spiritual successor to UO. You have a lot of the same tradeskills. You have magic requiring reagents (although there are only 4, whereas Ultimas had 8). This game is a little easier on players in that you have areas outside of towns that are free from PvP combat. That said, all of the higher tier tradeskill material and basically mid level and beyond combat happens in "Wilderness" areas which basically means you are subject to PvP combat. In my first week of playing I found this out pretty quickly when I visited one of the mines near town, but in the wilderness technically, to mine some higher tier metals. A guild had decided to take over the mine and was killing any non-guild miners. Thankfully, the game world is large enough that if you do your own exploring, you are likely to find safer out of the way areas which are less frequented.

I have not had a chance to dive really deeply into all of the PvE dungeons, but the PvE combat is miles beyond the joke AI you had in UO where you could do crap like drop boxes around your character to prevent mobs from even attacking you. Even the starter areas (graveyards, bandit camps) are dangerous for new players.

I will toss up some screenshots here shortly of what I have encountered in game, but I would say if you enjoyed UO; if you are looking for a solid sandbox RPG, I would give the game a serious look. No subscriptions, just buy the game for $30.

Sonic Titan

Educated
Been watching a few streams since it's release yesterday (or day before?). It looks pretty decent from what I could tell.

Doma

Augur
Started playing a few days ago and I am getting the old-school UO feel.

For now just working on my taming and combat skills.

Gotta say, its pretty entertaining!

Aildrik

Savant
I am on Azure Sky. Our guild does dragon awakenings pretty regularly along with dungeon runs, etc. Send a PM if interested, I am always happy to help fellow players!

Bob Sacamano

Barely Literate

I loved the "Uo feel" until i had maxed out all the skills i needed and could solo balrons and dragons, then got bored fast (i started on private servers a million times). How's the endgame, if you've already gotten there?

Doma

Augur

I loved the "Uo feel" until i had maxed out all the skills i needed and could solo balrons and dragons, then got bored fast (i started on private servers a million times). How's the endgame, if you've already gotten there?

The UO feel was so strong, that I jumped ship and ended up here:

https://uooutlands.com/

I could not resist :(

Bob Sacamano

Barely Literate

so... it was "pretty entertaining" only for 20 days?
I might pass on this one then :P

Doma

Augur

so... it was "pretty entertaining" only for 20 days?
I might pass on this one then :P

Yeah well, its an UO-like game. If you love UO it makes you REALLY want to play UO.

And tbh, with shards like UO Outlands, you are better off doing just that.

Aildrik

Savant
Still playing; still having fun!

There are a lot of improvements coming to the game soon. Candidly, there are some issues which I believe have held back the Steam release of this game. While the fundamentals are there for a solid game, some of the issues which keep bubbling to the surface for players are:

1. Mob pathing; you still have mobs that get stuck in the terrain and can only be killed with certain AOE spells like firewall. Even then, they can't be looted.

2. Improved guild war system and other faction tweaks. In a game like this, you get the typical complaints of being ganked by red players, but honestly, blue players can be an even bigger nuisance. If a blue player decides to grief you by following you around, attacking mobs, etc there is really nothing that can be done if you yourself are a good/blue player. Similarly, if you go with your guild to one of the world boss events where you spend 30 minutes clearing trash to eventually spawn a raid boss, there is nothing stopping another guild from swooping in when the raid boss spawns and doing just enough damage to qualify for loot. If you are all 'blue' players, you certainly don't want to take a faction hit attacking another blue player, so I suspect there will be some fine tuning in that regard....ie, declaring war on other guilds and that sort of thing.

3. Advanced skill acquisition. Right now, there are prestige books which teach advanced abilities such as a shield bash stun, mana regeneration, giving rogues the ability to vanish, etc. These skills are on cooldowns depending on how powerful they are (20sec-2minutes). Right now, the only way to get the most powerful (tier3) ability books is by killing one of 2 world bosses and even then, you are lucky to see a tier3 book drop. Usually it is the more common tier1 or tier2 abilities. While you can certainly play the game successfully without these abilities, they do give enormous advantages in PvP and the difficulty in getting them is something I believe the devs are going to visit. Even many of the guilds capable of organizing and killing these world bosses don't have all of their tier3 books, so buying one from players isn't even really feasible at this point.

4. Tradeskill improvements. Some of the current tradeskills such as Alchemy have very few items they can craft, making them frankly not very interesting or useful. Cooking is hardly even in the game at this point with talked about things like stat food not in the game yet.

If you liked UO, and have been on the fence about playing this game, keep following the news because there will be a lot of improvements on the way. I personally enjoy it; I like the huge array of different playstyles you can get from mixing various skills. You can play a pure mage. I've seen people mix melee and magic abilities to various degrees. I've seen people who have a lumberjack or miner with melee skills to fight back against PKs, there is a lot of freedom there. I wouldn't even say there is any 'best' set of skills because each has their own situational pros and cons. Some shine more in group settings, others are more solo survival. Lots of options!

ADL

Prophet
I'm taking a break since all the improvements made to LoA make Legends of Ultima better too. I'd definitely wait until Steam Release if you've waited this long already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom