Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Sorry, it was 5am when i made that comment and i was half hammered. I thought it did posture and hp damage but I tested again and the fire umbrella only negates the damage, doesn't seem to do posture/hp damage. You can however use the upgraded whistle for stunlocks on the boss.

Yeah I'm testing it now and neither block nor parry do any damage.

You mean the Malcontent whistle? Apparently it needs "Malcontent's ring" but I'm at the demon and I haven't found it yet. Either it's a super late game thing, meant for NG+ or I have somehow missed it. Altho how is beyond me coz I've explored and killed everything.
Yeah the malcontent whistle. I forget who drops the ring exactly but its definitely a mini boss.

Have you tried poisoning him? A surprising number of bosses are vulnerable to poison.

And yeah I hated that fight as well. It's like they went "hey we have all these amazing sword fighting mechanics, what should we do?", then the cleaning lady went "Huge ass monster where all of the mechanics are irrelevant and makes the camera sperg out!" and everyone clapped in approval.
The malcontent is dropped by the apparition that is now there after the 2 monkey fight. It's Ashina Depths>Poison Pool idol.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Where is a good spot to farm some money? I feel like I haven't managed it well from the start, and the inability to regain it after death is very crippling. I usually don't like to farm, but I need some money to experiment with prosthetic upgrades and get some items.

Sentinel

Arcane
Where is a good spot to farm some money? I feel like I haven't managed it well from the start, and the inability to regain it after death is very crippling. I usually don't like to farm, but I need some money to experiment with prosthetic upgrades and get some items.
Where in the game are you at? There's a perfect spot in the late game when shit's on fire yo - Antechamber idol, backstab the lone purple ninja in the next room, return to idol and rest. Rinse and repeat. He gives ~1053XP per kill and emblems.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Where in the game are you at? There's a perfect spot in the late game when shit's on fire yo - Antechamber idol, backstab the lone purple ninja in the next room, return to idol and rest. Rinse and repeat. He gives ~1053XP per kill and emblems.
He drops 1067 I think and 145 coins, plus random adamantine, black gunpowder, magnetite, scrap iron and 2 emblems.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Stuck on Demon for about 3 hours now. About 40 runs.

The only thing that kills me now is the camera. How the fuck do people deal with that? Fucking things jumps into the worst corners and the camera goes haywire. And staying at a distance, trying to lure him back in the middle, is super risky since he just keeps hurling fireballs at you. FFS.

Plus the fucking HP bloat, jesus christ. It's like fighting Yhorm without the Storm Ruler.

With fights like this I'd have no qualms about modding the boss to half health or some such. Sick of dying on bullshit.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Holy. Sisterfucking. Jesus.

Demon down.

I learned his schtick in about 5 runs. Took another 40 to beat the RNG. I love stuff like:
- after his charge sometimes he throws his fireballs immediately, while you're closing the gap and relying on the usual pause
- sometimes when you're closing the gap he does this super fast slash-and-smash; no way to dodge, goes through your block, kills you
- sometimes he does his fire trail attack (2nd phase) without the charge, just like that; it's super fast and there's no way to jump away
- sometimes he stands with his back to the wall and decides to cast his fireballs; those are easily countered by running around him...not when he hugs the wall tho
- when he does his jump-and-dump attack you lose the lock, camera goes full retard and you get hit
- you randomly lose your lock for no reason in other cases
- when after the jump-and-dump attack he's lying on the ground you can grapple to him; it's obviously meant to be an extra damaging head strike but the hitboxes are visibly fucked, you just bounce off of invisible force field around the boss and slide harmlessly to the ground, hitting his heavy-duty nutsack again

10/10, would give Miyazaki some infectious disease again.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

In this game, you have to farm, unless you're HappyHob autistic good. You're leaking money like a woman.

Problem is the tool upgrade prices seem to be tuned for late-ish game. You only start getting very nice gold drops in the Fountainhead Palace. Go from Mibu Manor, run through the level and one-shot the weak mobs, backstab the strong. In a 5 minute run you can get 5k+ gold, with the balloon and skill upgrades.

BEWARE - don't pop your Wealth Balloon immediately. The bonus gold triggers not on the kills but on the pickups, so run through the level, kill everything, then pop the balloon, run back and pick up the lewt.

P.S. - as for earlier farming spots, I don't know of any good. They're all shit, especially in relation to the upgrade prices.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I don't know any optimal farming spots since farming isn't as useful as in Souls games since there are only so many useful items you can even buy in this game and you'll get enough skill points by playing normally. But, few times I needed a little extra money for autistic prosthetic upgrade completionism so here are a few spots.

Early game: Ashina Castle Antechamber. You can backstab the first blue samurai right next to the monument, then wait a few seconds for the enemies in the hall to move and you can backstab two more blue samurai and the hag for very quick kills.

Mid game: Gun Fort. Backtrack a bit from the monument and you can backstab the first cannon guy, the grapple up and kill the rifle guy, then jump down and backstab another cannon guy, then run back inside and kill the old hag and the last cannon guy. You can just ignore the last guy and run back to the monument if fighting him takes too long though.

Late game: Fountainhead Palace. From the Mibu Manor monument just sprint around like a madman and kill those flute players. They die in one hit (you can just do the sprinting attack and quickly move on, no need for deathblows) and they drop surprising amount of xp and gold. They also drop both wax materials that are needed for upgrades.

Also, in case somebody has missed it: the temple/monk skill tree has two passives that increase item and money drops.

Cromwell

Arcane
Early game: Ashina Castle Antechamber. You can backstab the first blue samurai right next to the monument, then wait a few seconds for the enemies in the hall to move and you can backstab two more blue samurai and the hag for very quick kills.

you dont stop there, you take the first samurai behind the paper walls, stand in the next door wait for the second one and kill him, kill the woman and the patrol samurai that stands on the window, go in the room stealth kill the one sitting with his back to you, either fight the other one wor flee, grapple to the the beam in the middle of the big room, fall down on the blue guy and kill him, kill his helpers, go out kill the spar guy from above, gop right run to the two on the bridge and deathblow the big one, repeat. Thats for skill points (about 580 per run)

for money its better easier and faster to go to hirata estate audience chamber kill the samurai before the entrannce to the boss turn around and kill everyone else.

Blue samurai give less money but have a chance of dropping confetti and skillpoints are worth more than the money. I would assume its only worth it if you still havent killed genishiro like me and want some specific skills.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There's a better early game XP farm, I've mentioned it ITT already. Make it to the Depths, Mibu Village, there's a purple ninja down and right in the river. If you have the stealth skill upgrades you can sneak up on him, hugging the wall. He gives 800 xp which is huge for early/mid game and you can amass quite a bit of levels in a few minutes. At a certain point tho skills are very expensive and even this farm becomes weak.

Farming money is a pain up until the Fountainhead Palace.

Sentinel

Arcane
Make it a top priority to invest your money into the money pouches that merchants sell throughout the game, since you can't lose that money.

Sentinel

Arcane
Later on in the game, when you have multiple resurrection orbs and you know you're about to die to a boss, you can use the bite down item to kill yourself and not trigger the resurrection pseudo-cooldown. This will allow you to jesus your way back into the fight multiple times.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I saw a gameplay clip and immediately checked the demo. My rig runs it at 5 frames. Uninstalled. Checked the demo of Dark Souls 3 and it was playable. I've never played a From Software game and never has a game made me that angry save some Tekken 1 matches. Uninstalled. So Sekiro probably wasn't a game for me to begin with. I'm a turn-based guy. Okay stupid game ? But hot damn does Sekiro look cool.

I'd really like to play something in the same setting. Any alternative recommendations ?

Ivan

Arcane
woohoo, virgin playthrough finished. you're almost done too cvv

going to use some mods for playthrough 2.

All in all, took me some 30+ hours to finish. Fantastic experience. Exploration is a lot more fun in this title. Extremely punishing and unforgiving.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
woohoo, virgin playthrough finished. you're almost done too cvv

Yep, I thought the Demon is the final boss. I spent the next hour being lost and then I finally figured out where to go. Sheesh. One-shotted the final boss 1st stage in like 30 secs but I was so tired from that fucking Demon I couldn't go on with another Miyazaki's patented two weeks long boss fight. I'm gonna sleep on it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Nioh suffers from the lack of coherent design. Not only it was baking in development hell for eternity, with each DLC devs also significantly overhauled gameplay loop by adding more weird loot features.
It is a souls-clone, with some parts from ninja gaiden, diablo-style loot and elements from modern games-as-service.

Sentinel

Arcane
Yeah Nioh felt like quantity over quality - the game. Even in the combat department that everyone praises, it's bloated as fuck. Shit like the stances is completely pointless - mid stance is all you need, everything else is EXTREMELY situational, and if there's one thing I hate is seeing core mechanics being fucking worthless. I gave up on the game after that jelly boss in the night harbor. Didn't help that the story and atmosphere were so lacking.

Sentinel

Arcane
  • Guardian Ape - using spear double R1 move on the Ape's neck in 2nd phase will draw out centipede for massive posture damage; using the loaded umbrella blocks his scream attack
  • Spamming snap seeds staggers the Corrupted Monk in the village
  • You can skip the first 2 phases of the corrupted monk fight
  • If you keep being aggressive on the final boss during 2nd phase, he never draws out his spear
  • Shuriken on Lady Butterfly when she's in the air for an interrupt and very high posture damage

Last edited:

RegionalHobo

Scholar
this game really needs a boss mode.

also wish i did not have to play the whole game again just to unlock 1-2 boss fights per route i did not do

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom