Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Lord of the Rings MMO in development

Jokzore

Arbiter
From what I'm reading its not actually DE developing it. It's just another subsidiary of their parent company.

Also there doesn't seem to be much to discuss, seeing as the only bit of information we have is that its going to exist (if that).

Set reminder !4 years.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
The new game will be set in Middle-earth, long before the events of Lord of the Rings.

Most interesting part of the announcement. I wonder if it's just some nebulous "time before War of the Ring" so they can divorce themselves from existing LotR story or if they're actually going far back.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
source:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertain...-game-in-the-works/ar-BBMSltH?ocid=spartanntp

http://www.athlongames.com/athlon-games-partners-with-middle-earth-enterprises/

https://www.pcgamer.com/warframes-parent-company-is-working-on-a-new-lord-of-the-rings-online-game/

I just can't stand no more info on this ... as big fan of all grandpa Tolkien books since 7 years old i need something more modern than LOTRO :).

LOS ANGELES — Sept. 4, 2018 — Today, Athlon Games, a global publisher of console and PC games, announced it has signed a long-term licensing agreement with Middle-earth Enterprises to develop and publish a video game based on The Lord of the Rings. Athlon Games is working with a partner developer to create an online game set in the world of Middle-earth™ at a time long before the events of The Lord of the Rings, exploring lands, people and creatures never seen before by fans of the Tolkien universe.

“It’s a singular opportunity to work closely with Middle-earth Enterprises to create a completely new experience for fans of the landmark fantasy work of J.R.R. Tolkien, and we are excited about the resurgence of interest in The Lord of the Rings IP,” said Dave Miller, president, Athlon Games. “This, along with several other major properties Athlon is working with, will help us to further our goal of creating AAA cooperative console and PC experiences that gamers will want to play for years to come.”

“We are extremely pleased to work with Athlon Games to create a new, immersive game experience, exploring epic regions in Middle-earth during the years leading to the events of The Lord of the Rings,” said Fredrica Drotos, Chief Brand & Licensing Officer at Middle-earth Enterprises. “Athlon’s game will allow millions of Middle-earth fans throughout the world a unique opportunity for fellowship and epic exploration.”

Athlon Games, and its parent company Leyou Technologies Holdings Limited, which also owns Digital Extremes and Splash Damage, is marrying its deep expertise with free-to-play game design and service with Western development and strong IP to create top quality console and PC games that have global appeal.

“We believe in Athlon Games’ model to collaborate closely with Western developers to implement incredibly successful live services, while also giving its partners the autonomy they need to develop outstanding game experiences,” said Alex Xu, CEO of Leyou Technologies Holdings Limited. “At Leyou, we’ve seen great success implementing this strategy with other titles, such as Warframe. Now we can expand our footprint in the West with Athlon Games.”

Los Angeles-based Athlon Games is a newly formed publisher headed up by industry veteran Dave Miller, formerly of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Codemasters and NBC Universal. For more on Athlon Games, visit www.athlongames.com.

BTW check this its so epic and fresh that you will loose your shoes http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?752081-DaC-Introduction-and-Features

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane
I just can't stand no more info on this ... as big fan of all grandpa Tolkien books since 7 years old i need something more modern than LOTRO :).

Micro transactions, gacha loot lottery boxes, quest arrows, tablet friendly, forced social game?

Be careful what you wish for.

Angthoron

Arcane
I'd rather someone went back in time and slapped the devs of the old LotRO with a fish when they decided that the forum yes-men were correct about mechanics.

Doma

Augur
Is this an actual MMO? or what they like to call the "64-player per server" games these days?

Art Vandelay

Prophet
The new game will be set in Middle-earth, long before the events of Lord of the Rings.

The new game will feature "lands, people, and creatures" not previously seen in the Tolkien universe

zGHQb4O.gif

The new game will feature "lands, people, and creatures" not previously seen in the Tolkien universe

zGHQb4O.gif

So...

Not Middle Earth, then? This shit can eat a bag of dicks. I'd love to play a RPG set in Numenor, or around the time of the Last Alliance. Jesus, why is this shit that hard? I don't mind killing Orcs and darkies Haradrim. Giant spiders, drakes, dragons, Maia - FUCK!! There are so many amazing creatures and places in the actual fucking lore. Why do we need shitty generic garbage some millenial fag came up with to pollute Middle Earth? I just want to go around killing shit and having adventures, or playing the riddle game, or whatever.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I think it could be referring to Middle-Earth during the time of the Silmarillion, and what they're actually saying is that these have not been represented in games yet, which is true. And there's enough source material to make one hell of a game out of them.

Of course, we're likely to get sixteen tiers of wolves in different color palettes, ranging from 'mangy wolf' to 'legendary warg'.

ADL

Prophet
I figured there wasn't a thread because people were waiting for something a little more concrete than the announcement from 6 months ago but okay lol
There's a good chance this takes place during the Second Age. For anyone that doesn't know, the Amazon series is confirmed to take place while Numenor is still around so maybe they eased up on the rights?

Numenor was mentioned in the appendices of Return of the King so I wouldn't be surprised if it's tip-toeing around the rights and only using material that has been previously licensed.... But then again, Christopher Tolkien is 94 years old and these deals happened immediately when his grandson took over the estate so who fucking knows. Maybe it is The Silmarillion the show/the game.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
While I woud _LOVE_ a good Silmarillion MMORPG, everybody knows that "prequel" in this context is the new : "we bought the license for publicity but do not want to bother with the lore and inconsistencies".

It's like as if I was saying "I'm going to make a RPG about the France/England 100 year war, but it's actually going to be a prequel to that, so you know, I don't really have to open a history book and can just make up all that shit.".

Assholes.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
My immediate thought with this was The One Ring Online. Because the TOR RPG license is nice for creative direction, probably cheap, would build confidence a little, and makes for a neat acronym to boot.

Though, what I actually expect is Middle-earth Heroes: Adventures Unlimited, a free-to-play early access orc survival season pass collectible card MMOBA, invite your friends for an exclusive horse skin.

zGHQb4O.gif
So...

Not Middle Earth, then? This shit can eat a bag of dicks. I'd love to play a RPG set in Numenor, or around the time of the Last Alliance. Jesus, why is this shit that hard? I don't mind killing Orcs and darkies Haradrim. Giant spiders, drakes, dragons, Maia - FUCK!! There are so many amazing creatures and places in the actual fucking lore. Why do we need shitty generic garbage some millenial fag came up with to pollute Middle Earth? I just want to go around killing shit and having adventures, or playing the riddle game, or whatever.

Eh, the way he quoted and paraphrased it is misleading. It's one sentence, second thought related to the first, and in context neither says nor implies anything "new to the Tolkien universe".

I have no doubt they'll exercise artistic license as much as Turbine did, but no need to scramble up what they're saying.

Last edited:
If you can’t farm and breed pipeweed strains in the open world, kick back at a Prancing Pony-esque inn with your fellow adventurers, play an instrument for others, and have a comfy homestead, I’m not interested.

ADL

Prophet
I genuinely hope this isn't set in the Third Age because there's no way in hell they're gonna outdo LOTRO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom