Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

Doma

Augur
I'm extremely pessimistic about anything inXile. Games are team efforts and inXile have yet to prove themselves capable of delivering a great RPG worthy of names like Torment, Arcanum and the like. Torment had shorts glimpses of greatness under Ziets (in that weird goo-place), and I've heard BT4 had a few qualities mid/late-game too. WL2 was generally crappy and felt like a prototype game. But there's nothing so far that has inspired confidence enough to hype up a rumor like this. They need to ditch Unity too.
Unity is not the problem.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
I remember asking BN a while back if they were trying to get Jason back to work on W2, especially since he wrote the first draft of the game(btw, how much of it was left in the final game?) and, at the time, I was told Fargo tried. I guess it took this long to make it happen.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I remember asking BN a while back if they were trying to get Jason back to work on W2, especially since he wrote the first draft of the game(btw, how much of it was left in the final game?) and, at the time, I was told Fargo tried. I guess it took this long to make it happen.

Going to a (newly purchased) division of MS is probably more enticing than going to a dev shop that might be out of business as soon as their kickstarter-funding crashes.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
There is another thing - we often think people who made cult classic games 20 years ago are the same people now. They are not.

if you used to be a gamer working in game design, and you're still woring there, there's no reason to doubt it's still your thing. If anything experiencing the reality of publishing, customer demands and sabotage in the Industry would leave you jaded.

Xeon

Augur
Unity improved quite a bit with the later games, they tend to load pretty fast even with no SSD tho they tend to have long loading the longer you play. So a 2 second loading at the start become 10-30 second later. Shadowrun Hong Kong gets like this, pretty fast at the start but gets horrendous as the game goes on.

Still tho, kinda wish for different engine to better modding or something.

Codex Year of the Donut
Still tho, kinda wish for different engine to better modding or something.
Unity games are easily moddable because the entire game is distributed as a .NET shared library. It's not as easy as games that come with modding tools, obviously — but it's still much easier than games that are distributed solely as native binaries.

Unity is not the problem.

Loading every Unity game takes forever and is annoying.
ATOM RPG.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A job posting for Lead Designer: https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/lead-designer

Sounds like this is for Chad and Jason's "next-generation role-playing game" team.

Lead Designer

inXile Entertainment is looking for a talented, motivated, and experienced Lead Designer for a next-generation role-playing game. The ideal candidate will be a passionate and creative innovator with experience leading and managing design teams, combined with a proven track record in developing compelling and engaging experiences in modern RPGs. Working directly with the Game Director and other project stakeholders, the Lead Designer is expected to drive major gameplay and storytelling features of the title and implement them to a high level of quality. This is a rare opportunity to lead a design team in creating an immersive and compelling role-playing game with some of the industry’s most well-known game-makers and storytellers.

Responsibilities:
  • Coordinate with the Game Director and other project stakeholders to define the game vision
  • Communicate game vision to the Design Team, and lead them in executing it a high level of quality across multiple platforms.
  • Oversee the creation of a comprehensive GDD for the project, while setting clear quality, clarity and consistency standards for design documentation overall.
  • Be a champion for the Design team; Inspire, motivate, and mentor other designers in best practices, processes, and procedures pertaining to their disciplines.
  • Build collaborative relationships with other discipline leaders and their teams to establish and maintain best-in-industry development processes.
  • Work closely with the production team to create schedules for the Design Team that meet stated development goals and milestones.
Requirements:
  • At least 5 years of experience leading a full design team, with relevant experience working on AAA titles, current and next-gen consoles.
  • Knowledge and proficiency in all aspects of game design - including gameplay, combat, level design, and narrative.
  • Ability to hold a strong creative vision while also keeping that vision agile in a highly collaborative development environment.
  • Deep knowledge of video games – and especially RPGs – across multiple genres and platforms
  • Excellent communication and organizational skills.

"relevant experience working on AAA titles"

inXile, you too?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
So apparently according to Mobygames, Jason Anderson and InXile go as far back as Hunted - The Demon Forge. Also credited on Wasteland 2 for 2014 and 2017.

New addition or Brian glossing over reality?

:what:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I still can't comprehend why Microsoft didn't reform Black Isle given they basically have everybody on board apart from Avellone. Keep the studios separated if Fargo&Feargus prefer that, but put them under BIS umbrella. Seems like a nobrainer marketing move that would get a lot of good PR.

And no, I don't care about Microsoft's PR, but it would give me a massive nostalgia boner to see iconic BIS logo in a new game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still can't comprehend why Microsoft didn't reform Black Isle given they basically have everybody on board apart from Avellone. Keep the studios separated if Fargo&Feargus prefer that, but put them under BIS umbrella. Seems like a nobrainer marketing move that would get a lot of good PR.
Does anybody else remember when Black Isle was said to be reforming in 2012? Wasn't the consensus a resounding, "Yeah, right"?

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

And no, I don't care about Microsoft's PR, but it would give me a massive nostalgia boner to see iconic BIS logo in a new game.
I think you overestimate BIS brand significance. Normies mainly do not care about BIS's old glory. Oldfags mainly know that both inXile and Obsidian are just the bunches of the old have-beens who lost their mojo long ago.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Does anybody else remember when Black Isle was said to be reforming in 2012? Wasn't the consensus a resounding, "Yeah, right"?

That was basically just a bunch of random nonames using the brand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom