Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Empires of the Undergrowth (Dungeon Keeper clone with ants)

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/463530/Empires_of_the_Undergrowth/

ss_63fcb6fee20d4782cd174ceb6c9d6c3a545c0f2b.jpg

Seems like a really good game, but it's still in beta hence I haven't bought it yet. However, it seems like Dungeon Keeper I've been waiting for decades. Anybody played it yet?

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's been a while since I played it. It didn't have much content available back then, but it kept me entertained while it lasted.

I have the game on steam, so I guess I'll reinstall it tonight and give it another go to see how much they've updated the game since, then I'll report on its current state.

Olinser

Savant
Ugh, don't even mention Dungeon Keeper.

I loved the original 2 games. Then they pulled that utterly ludicrous freemium bullshit out and destroyed the IP forever.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ok, so they didn't add much to the game, which means that development is very slow... OTOH according to their steam page, they're close to releasing a major update with new ant species.

So as of now, there are only 6 missions (tho' decently varied) + freeplay mode, which isn't much. You can kinda extend playtime by playing on highest difficulty, which makes the game quite brutal and will most likely make you restart those maps couple of times before you'll git gut enough to complete them, but even then you're looking at a 5-6 hours of content tops.

But the game is FUN. Not even close to DK when it comes to complexity, but it's played at much faster pace and time flies by really quickly when you play it. Graphics are all right, music is nice, I haven't encountered any major bugs... ok, let's say glitches, because the game is full of bugs: from tiger beetles, ladybugs to woodlice.

For 20 bucks... I don't know. Game definitely has potential and I got my money's worth of fun out of it already, but ymmv. Waiting for that big update might be a good idea.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks, trais for all this information. In this case, I guess as with most early access titles, it seems the best approach is to wait for the release date and then make decision whether to buy it based on how much more content developers added. I hope they will work on it for a long time and make a really good game as even after so many years there's still nothing that plays as Dungeon Keeper (Dungeons was an utter garbage).

Üstad

Arcane
It's still in early acess all these years but it seems the game is overhauled a lot with the updates.

In this case, I guess as with most early access titles, it seems the best approach is to wait for the release date and then make decision whether to buy it
0.31 version is released 2 days ago lmao.

Dungeon Keeper (Dungeons was an utter garbage).
Really? I never played it, I thought it's one of those awesome classics.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's still in early acess all these years but it seems the game is overhauled a lot with the updates.

In this case, I guess as with most early access titles, it seems the best approach is to wait for the release date and then make decision whether to buy it
0.31 version is released 2 days ago lmao.
My daughter is going through an ant phase. Does the game conveys its theme well?

Dungeon Keeper (Dungeons was an utter garbage).
Really? I never played it, I thought it's one of those awesome classics.
He means that Dungeons is nowhere near as good as Dungeon Keeper I think.

Üstad

Arcane
My daughter is going through an ant phase. Does the game conveys its theme well?
I don't know what ant phase means so I'd suggest just check some 10-15 min gameplay video to see if that's what you're looking for. Know that the game is hard and tedious for a litte girl, so it might be a deal braker.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This reminds me of "Imperium der Ameisen", an old German ant-themed RTS. I think it was internationally released as Empire Ants.
51YC5VQ0PBL.jpg

The den building is similar, as is the way you go out to explore the overworld. And then there's the obvious parallel in the naming, "Empire Ants" vs "Empires of the Undergrowth", I'm pretty sure this game was directly inspired by this obscure old classic.

I played Empires of the Undergrowth and it's pretty good. I like the different ant species, and the campaign missions are pretty varied. It's important to find a good food source and build up a large army to defend your base from beetle incursions.
A major difference to Empire Ants is how there you would unlock new ant types by research, while here your ant types depend on the race you select. Only spitter ants get ranged units, for example.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
guess this game bombed here on the dex... been eyeing this for a while after seeing Mack from WAB rave about it, just downloaded the demo but haven't played yet..

they said the full release will be this year and they are discounting it 20% off until January 26 when they will raise the price if anyone was waiting for it.

"Empires of the Undergrowth is currently on sale for 20% off. At the end of the sale, the price of the game will be raised to reflect advancements made during Early Access. We wanted to provide advance notice in case anyone would like to purchase the game at the current discounted price."

Konjad

Patron
Played the demo today, but to be honest while it's not a bad game it didn't blow me away either. It's just alright. Demo has tutorial + 6 missions, I only did tutorial and one mission, then quit... I might play it again, but idk.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm definitely looking forward to it, but I won't be playing before actual release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom