Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

DraQ

Arcane
This mod is dogshit. Just did an entire dungeon as a mage which required getting an enemy, and shooting fire out my hand while running backwards through the entire length of the dungeon to slowly whittle it down. Or I can summon a skelly which uses half my mana and then dies 2 seconds later. Good job retard community. I am expect to grind 10000 wolves to make some progress and do some newbie dungeons in a month. Not only is this game shit, but the community is to clueless to even mod it well.
what mod?
Coherent sentence mod.

Yosharian

Arcane
This mod is dogshit. Just did an entire dungeon as a mage which required getting an enemy, and shooting fire out my hand while running backwards through the entire length of the dungeon to slowly whittle it down. Or I can summon a skelly which uses half my mana and then dies 2 seconds later. Good job retard community. I am expect to grind 10000 wolves to make some progress and do some newbie dungeons in a month. Not only is this game shit, but the community is too clueless to even mod it well.
That's because you're not a mage. Requiem is a role-playing overhaul. You're meant to role-play in order to enjoy it.

If you were a mage at the start of the game, how did you get captured? Why don't the guys in the cart say 'Look at that mage'? Why aren't you already wearing a powerful robe, and why don't you know more than one dogshit spell that anyone could master? At best, you're some bumfuck apprentice who can barely scratch his arse correctly, let alone take down a Bandit.

It's because you're not a mage, you're just some dumbfuck who got caught by Imperials and got extremely lucky. Try going to the Winterhold College and crying to the NPC at the gate "I'M A MAGE, LET ME IN!" She'll tell you to fuck off, because you ain't no mage.

Bethesda's design philosophy is to take the player, give him superpowers right from the get-go, and say 'have fun being overpowered in a world of idiots!'

Requiem's design philosophy is the complete reversal of that. It's you, the player, that must retrain your brain to understand the mod; not the mod that just bend to your will.

Mage is one of the most difficult starter classes for Requiem, but if you perservere with it, at the end-game you'll have the power of a God.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Bad excuse, for a shit mod. There has to be a way to progress at low levels, and as a mage the only way to do that is to use the fire shit and occasionally summon skellys. But I want to master illusion/alter/etc I don't want to be destruction/summoning like every time I play, but it forces you into that. You can't raise the others because the spells don't work.

So I am travelling the lands killing millions of bandits and wolves, literally 10+ hours so far of that shit, running backwards squirting fire, and I'm still only level 5, still have crap spells, and still can only kill things by using these few crappy spells. Fuck anyone who thinks that isn't retarded. Making my way to mage sanctuary place to see if I can get some better spells but basically I hate this game and I hate this mod. There are a 1000 options when designing an RPG and I don't get how people always somehow manage to find the worst possible option.

Also I don't want the power of a god. I want a balanced game with challenging fights from the start to the end. That's how a game should work. Whoever made this mod is a moron like the rest of the Skyrim modders. Not a single good brain amongst them.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I really want to explain to people how this game should work and how amazing it could be, but it is too far from that to even know where to begin. And I think the players are too clueless and retarded to even understand. Everything about this game is just so bad... I remember in STALKER, the first time I saw good AI, I attacked a group of soldiers and they shot me up so I fled into a house. They started sieging the house with grenades and covering fire while some of them edged closer to the front door. Good AI in a gimpy low budget russian old game. Meanwhile in money bags Bethesda's latest game, skelly charges at me and gets stuck on a rock. And in the retarded Requiem mod that is supposed to be hardcore, retarded banded charges at me while I walk backwards squirting fire in his face. And then at 40% hp he says I surrender! And starts running away while I squirt fire at his back. Bad UI too, even the UI mods don't fully fix it. Bad voice acting, bad dialogue, bad quests, boring world design, world is too small, and the thing you do most of the time (fighting) is the worst I've ever seen in any game. How can it be so bad at everything?!

Yosharian

Arcane
Bad excuse, for a shit mod. There has to be a way to progress at low levels, and as a mage the only way to do that is to use the fire shit and occasionally summon skellys. But I want to master illusion/alter/etc I don't want to be destruction/summoning like every time I play, but it forces you into that. You can't raise the others because the spells don't work.

So I am travelling the lands killing millions of bandits and wolves, literally 10+ hours so far of that shit, running backwards squirting fire, and I'm still only level 5, still have crap spells, and still can only kill things by using these few crappy spells. Fuck anyone who thinks that isn't retarded. Making my way to mage sanctuary place to see if I can get some better spells but basically I hate this game and I hate this mod. There are a 1000 options when designing an RPG and I don't get how people always somehow manage to find the worst possible option.

Also I don't want the power of a god. I want a balanced game with challenging fights from the start to the end. That's how a game should work. Whoever made this mod is a moron like the rest of the Skyrim modders. Not a single good brain amongst them.
A wolf is a killing machine bred by nature. A bandit, even a lowly one, is a man who's made a career out of murdering others and taking their shit.

You, on the other hand, are an apprentice who knows how to shoot a bit of flame from his hand.

Yes, you're going to need to work hard to be able to take on wolves and bandits. That is normal.

If you're going to enjoy Requiem you need to stop viewing the game as a thing to be beaten and start seeing it as a role-playing game to be experienced. Try just exploring Skyrim, with the objective of staying alive rather than killing things. Try focusing on earning money. Money means you can buy a meatshield, rather than having to summon one. Try doing some simple delivery quests, stuff that can be done without killing/dying.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It isn't working hard though, it is just walking backwards across entire countries while shooting fire. Stop pretending this garbage is ok because it is roleplaying. And now at level 5 I already 1 shot every wolf. This game is dogshit and so is this mod. And you are an enabler.

Yosharian

Arcane
It isn't working hard though, it is just walking backwards across entire countries while shooting fire. Stop pretending this garbage is ok because it is roleplaying. And now at level 5 I already 1 shot every wolf. This game is dogshit and so is this mod. And you are an enabler.
iolgz1w.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Can't remember if Staff use raises the appropriate magic school in Requiem.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It's not about it being hard though, it is already too easy at 5. Except for some dungeons that aren't hard they are just long winded and shitty gameplay. Sad I need to explain this to you low IQ dipshits, but I guess it is to be expected, especially from someone who can't even read basic English.

Funposter

Arcane
wouldn't that make the fire even worse because you're not acclimated to it? like walking out into the hot sun after being in air conditioning for a long time

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And make sure you have the mod that fixes the 2x perk bug - because requiem gives enemies lots of VERY POWERFUL perks, and if they have the perks twice they're about 28000% as power as vanilla skyrim as opposed to 525% or whatever it actually is supposed to be.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Found a better solution, uninstall. Running endless shitty copy paste dungeons for a few skill ups is truly one of the lowest points in gaming I've ever seen.

Incantatar

Cipher
So, I'm considering trying another noreload/ironman run of Requiem. My two last attempts were both thwarted by traps. The first some kind of magic trap at a table in the open world and the second was a trap in some mid-late game dungeon (level ~32)

Iirc there is an alteration spell that makes you temporarily invulnerable but that only helps if I know every trap from memory. Is there a reliable way to spot deadly traps, or do I need to read up on every fucking trap in the game? It's a bit silly without any trap finding mechanic in the game.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
So, I'm considering trying another noreload/ironman run of Requiem. My two last attempts were both thwarted by traps. The first some kind of magic trap at a table in the open world and the second was a trap in some mid-late game dungeon (level ~32)

Iirc there is an alteration spell that makes you temporarily invulnerable but that only helps if I know every trap from memory. Is there a reliable way to spot deadly traps, or do I need to read up on every fucking trap in the game? It's a bit silly without any trap finding mechanic in the game.

Surely someone's made a detect traps mod by now.

Very useful for when you venture into loverslab.:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

DraQ

Arcane

1. Look around for things like dart spitters, swingy blades on the ceiling, corpses, etc. Some pressure plates can be seen, but it's a nice extra, not a rule.
  2. Be prepared to dodge if you hear a click, and know beforehand where you'll be dodging.
  3. Send summons or throw physical objects to clear the way. Runes can be detonated with many spells.
  4. Use Indy trick when picking stuff from trapped pedestals.
  5. Protect yourself against most likely/most damaging damage sources with potions or enchantments.

Yosharian

Arcane
Here's a summary of some of the important mods (there's shitloads more than this though), I'm pretty sure all or most of these are customizeable so if you don't like them you can tweak/turn off their effects.

Skyrim Unbound:--Start anywhere, dragons spawn after X days
Art of the Catch:--adds Fishing
Bathing in Skyrim:--penalty to Speech/disease rez over time; use (crafted) soap or wash rag while standing in water
Campfire:--Camping system
Dynamic Immersive Seriously Dark Dungeons:--makes dungeons REALLY dark
Dynamic Things:--does a bunch of stuff, but most important is you can now train skills on dummies/targets
Even Better Quest Objectives:--makes it so that you can actually play the game without quest markers
Frostfall:--adds cold survival gameplay
Hidden Hideouts of Skyrim:--adds hidden hideouts...
Honed Metal:--blacksmiths and mages can enchant/temper your gear
Hunterborn:--adds dressing, skinning, harvesting, and butchering, for slain animals
Immersive Compass:--removes Skyrim's GPS feature
Imperial Mail:--get stuff delivered to your base without having to go back there
iNeed:--drink, sleep, and eat, realistically
Mortal Enemies:--heavily reduces the amount you can turn when executing an attack
No Combat Music:--disables combat music triggering and alerting you to hidden enemies
Loot and Degradation:--tempering is temporary, reduced by use; enemies have access to tempered weapons
Missives:--provides radiant quests on demand, such as courier, gather, kill or retrieve quests
Simply Knock:--allows entry into people's (locked) homes in an immersive way
Skyrim Souls:--game menus are unpaused, allowing time to flow by
Sleep To Gain Experience:--stores experience and grants it to you when you sleep
Smart Cast:--automatically cast spells based on configurable rules, and craftable items
Spell Research:--use a special spell research journal (craftable/buyable), and quill/inks/rolls of paper, to perform 'spell research', casting spells over and over or spending time (similar to wait mechanic) to pass the time doing research (rest required afterwards); once you've done this enough, 'compose' a new spell; allows spellcasters to become stronger outside of combat
Spellsword:--cast spells using (craftable or lootable) weapons or shields
Thieves Guild Requirements:--actually have to be a thief to gain access to the Thieves' Guild (customizable)
Train and Study:--pass time training, or studying a skill book (rest required afterwards)
Undeath:--become a motherfucking LICH. When you die, you respawn at your phylactery. Special powers in Lich form. Actually become Undead (heal via Conjuration spell).
And of course... REQUIEM.

Installation takes about 1-2 hours using Automaton, depending on your download speed and familiarity with standard modding procedures. Possibly a few more if you're new to this stuff. FOLLOW THE FUCKING INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.

Once you've installed, load the template save and do this in the MCM menu:
1) Enable Hunting Requires Permit
2) Disable Item Breakage
3) Activate/configure Frostfall
4) Go to Ultimate Skyrim menu and click 'begin adventure'.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Trying this Ultimate Skyrim thing and the installation is raw manual labour. It's utterly demoralising to have to individually download like 250 mods, half of which are shit like "Immersive Rugs" that I don't want anyway, but you apparently have to get every item on the list before the bastard automated thing will let you install any of them.

Still, I'm sure I'll change my tune when the game starts and I'm basking in those 2K Immersive Rugs.

Yosharian

Arcane
Trying this Ultimate Skyrim thing and the installation is raw manual labour. It's utterly demoralising to have to individually download like 250 mods, half of which are shit like "Immersive Rugs" that I don't want anyway, but you apparently have to get every item on the list before the bastard automated thing will let you install any of them.

Still, I'm sure I'll change my tune when the game starts and I'm basking in those 2K Immersive Rugs.
Premium Nexus account ftw

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom