Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It works against some bosses/enemies but not most. Most attacks have massive tracking and will hit you if you try to run around the enemy.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It works against some bosses/enemies but not most. Most attacks have massive tracking and will hit you if you try to run around the enemy.

This. With some bosses, like the bull, underwater Headless or Demon you HAVE to run around, that's the schtick. For some bosses it works as cheese. But others won't have any of this. The 2nd phase of the final boss seems to be specifically designed to punish you for that, while the 3rd and 4th are apparently cheesable.

Thing is ultimately it's much more satisfying, faster and I'd even say easier to fight those bosses "properly". If you play enough you realize the real cheese is the parry which the game is designed around.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
> Installed the game.
> It's time to pop some moles! Oh yeah!
> Right away some random general dude gives me trouble...

:negative:

I cannot into controlers.

Yeah this game rapes you hard for not being able to press those buttons like a virtuoso. If you're like me, a K/M player for your entire life, it'll be a struggle.

K/M seems a bit fucked in this game. DS3 was definitely better. The camera movement with mouse is very strange.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My brain actually feels tired from trying to differentiate a jump and dodge under a stress.

By default you both jump and dodge with your thumb. I found that impossible to manage in the hardest boss fights where you have only a split second to decide. Just can't move my stiff thumb fast enough. What helped was rebinding dodge and jump to two different fingers. I have moved doge to RT now, such better.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Just finished my second playthrough. While the final boss can be pretty frustrating, it's still an excellent and well-designed fight :salute:

The only boss in the entire game I think is pure trash and doesn't work with Sekiro's mechanics at all is the Demon of Hatred. It belongs in Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 and doesn't fit here at all.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Beat the sword saint after taking a break and having dinner.. what gets me is that in his final phase he actually decided to do his lightning attack 3 times which fucks him up when countered.. previous attempts he did it once while I was not engaged with him... also TheSentinel his third form did the gun thing 5 times, twice I was in mid range, the rest further away, he never once lunged at me.. I've seen him do it before but not sure what makes him do it or not.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
O'Rin wasn't that bad. Liked the fight. I felt I was getting better at the game.

Spectral corrupted monk was tough to beat because I was impatient, I don't think is that hard. HP bloat, but I didn't want to waste divine confetti's.

I wonder what comes next.
I think I'm making a bad skill build. I was very tilted when I wasted 5 points in the healing on critical just before O'Rin, and she gives me that skill when I kill her. I also think that the skill is not that good for that price.

Sentinel

Arcane
O'Rin wasn't that bad. Liked the fight. I felt I was getting better at the game.

Spectral corrupted monk was tough to beat because I was impatient, I don't think is that hard. HP bloat, but I didn't want to waste divine confetti's.

I wonder what comes next.
I think I'm making a bad skill build. I was very tilted when I wasted 5 points in the healing on critical just before O'Rin, and she gives me that skill when I kill her. I also think that the skill is not that good for that price.
The confetti doesn't do anything to the Corrupted Monk, it's an illusion not an apparition.
It has a shield on his middle/left side (your right), which means you have to hit him on the left side (his right) or back do deal damage.

v1rus

Arcane
stairs spear lord and well ninja camera.

quoted for truth

granted, i also had probs with butterfly, so i decided to get moar seeds, and moar beads before i fought her again, beating those two. Roflstomped all over her after that.

Now at the Temple boss, everything before that is fully cleared, afaik, except that disgusting centipede shit that im gonna shadowroflstomp tomorrow.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Just beat the game a second time. It's a good game for certain, but I'm not going to hold it in high regards like many others, as I found the game slightly dull despite it's rage inducing difficulty.

Fun fact: I literally can not defeat a single headless creature. I've watched and read every guide and it looks so simple.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Just beat the game a second time. It's a good game for certain, but I'm not going to hold it in high regards like many others, as I found the game slightly dull despite it's rage inducing difficulty.

Fun fact: I literally can not defeat a single headless creature. I've watched and read every guide and it looks so simple.
The headless fights are just about juggling consumable items. Just use pacifying agents (preferably purple gourd instead), divine confetti, and your healing. Deflect his attacks, and run away when he vanishes because he usually follows up with his grab move.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I think there are 3 instances for Headless (or 4 !?). Killed 2 of them 1st try however I had the Mottled Purple Gourd. They drop some souls.

Basically pop Divine Confetti, Purple Gourd, Pacifier and go ham on them while trying to stay behind their back. Don't back down unless you are low health. Rinse and repeat.

They are lame fights. Absolute garbage.

Edit: Damn. There are 5 encounters with the Headless one.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Stuck on Demon for about 3 hours now. About 40 runs.

The only thing that kills me now is the camera. How the fuck do people deal with that? Fucking things jumps into the worst corners and the camera goes haywire. And staying at a distance, trying to lure him back in the middle, is super risky since he just keeps hurling fireballs at you. FFS.

Plus the fucking HP bloat, jesus christ. It's like fighting Yhorm without the Storm Ruler.

With fights like this I'd have no qualms about modding the boss to half health or some such. Sick of dying on bullshit.

Is the HP bloat comparable to DSIII? Especially the DLC had some veritable hit point sponges.

Child of Malkav

Erudite

I think there are 3 instances for Headless (or 4 !?). Killed 2 of them 1st try however I had the Mottled Purple Gourd. They drop some souls.

Basically pop Divine Confetti, Purple Gourd, Pacifier and go ham on them while trying to stay behind their back. Don't back down unless you are low health. Rinse and repeat.

They are lame fights. Absolute garbage.

Edit: Damn. There are 5 encounters with the Headless one.
There are 4 headless and 1 headless ghost/illusion.
1 in the cave, 1 in the water near the old grave idol, 1 in hidden Forest, 1 in the water in fountainhead palace.

RapineDel

Augur
I don't understand people who find it dull, has the best OST in the series, some of the best level design and the first game since Demon/Dark Souls to really feel like you had to learn the systems/bosses to beat them. Doesn't have that drop in quality like Souls 1 after Anor Londo, the inconsistency of Souls 2 or the feeling of "Been there, done that" of Souls 3.

Souls 1/Bloodborne and this feel about on the same level and I think From learned after Souls 3 that they need to mix up just enough to keep it fresh while keeping their signature style mostly in tact. Preference obviously comes into it as well, most of us here are partial to RPGs and I'll still go back to Souls 1 as my favourite, partly for that reason but I can appreciate that Bloodborne and Sekiro are probably just as well designed.

All games have flaws and Sekiro is no exception,

- The stealth system ultimately falls a little bit flat, it's a good idea to mix up the level design and ensure the game-play loop wasn't as repetitive but I think they should focus on making general enemy encounters more interesting instead, I don't think it's feasible for them to come up with a near perfect combat system, great level design and then have an incredible stealth system thrown in there as well. It's just too much and risks a "jack of all trades, master of none" sort of thing, fortunately, in this game only the stealth suffered and not most of the other stuff.

- After the halfway point, the repeating bosses get a little tiresome. I understand that coming up with 50 unique bosses is just too much but versing the same bosses over and over again and first trying them kind of takes away that sense of learning and accomplishment you get earlier in the game. At the very least they should have done what they did with Corrupted Monk and the Ape and given them a unique phase the second time around. I know some of them "technically" have a new phase but it's usually barely noticeable and doesn't affect your strategy much.

- A lack of variety at time with combat. Out of all their games I think learning/"mastering" (for me anyway, I'm sure I'm still a noob compared to the guys who'll be doing no damage runs on YouTube soon) the combat in this has been the most satisfying of any From game because it basically HAS to be learned. In Dark Souls you can get away with just abusing the shield the whole game and that's fine, as an RPG those games should have alternate means but I did really like learning and having to adjust to exactly what the developers intended in this one.

I think Sekiro is overall a very good game, I'm sure I'll replay it at least once more before their next game. Only thing is I honestly don't want any DLC or a sequel to this. This is very much a combat system and game where once you master it once, it's done and dusted. More of the same in a sequel would be like Dark Souls 3 but even easier and that would just be disappointing. I want them to either move to doing another RPG but once again with new combat systems OR do another Sekiro essentially, completely new world, new combat and another standalone game since I think it really worked for this. New/Fresh is clearly what works best for them with both Souls 2/3 being their most divisive games. Maybe this game is too but it's for the right reasons, most who genuinely don't like are just annoyed it's not the same as Dark Souls.

Shout out to that Forbes moron wanting an easy mode, once again these games are able having to learn something and getting a sense of accomplishment once you overcome it. If you just want to see the world, watch it on YouTube or play a game that's focused only on the level design, don't take away the accomplishment by allowing any peanut to rush to the end of the game while the people who play it properly know that what they're doing is only optional, taking away the feeling you get in previous From games.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is the HP bloat comparable to DSIII? Especially the DLC had some veritable hit point sponges.

It's like this - in DS3 the HP sponges are more numerous.

If I'm super strict I'd have to say that the only real HP sponges in Sekiro are the spectral monk and the demon. And the demon takes the fucking cake. I haven't seen something that absurd in a long time. Throw in the retarded camera and constantly losing lock and you got yourself a truly retarded fight. And it's such a shame, the basic monster design and idea are great, it's just buried in a bathtub of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom