Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The final boss is down. Took me 2 different days, about 6 hours in total.

There's no euphoria. Just exhaustion. Objectively, it's a great boss. A perfect fight for the likes of Lobos, HappyHob and the most hardcore souls crowd. The people who play every game on the hardest settings.

For me it's outside the boundaries of my idea of fun. I can power through shit like that but it's more of a chore than anything else. I've always been the "second hardest diff" kindda guy. I like challenge but not autism.

Overall it's a phenomenal game. Oh and RapineDel was the first one who mention the excellent soundtrack ITT. Right on the money. It's not just music that's first-class, it's the whole sound design. The sound of popping balloons, curing dragonrot etc. are soo sweet. I've noticed a few old shitty From sounds mixed in the soup, like when someone is hit, backstab or the gore splash after a deathblow but overall the whole thing is great.

Wolfe

Arbiter
How is the soundtrack great..? For me it's the most unremarkable and unnoticeable music that From Software has put in their games. I cannot remember a single song. During boss fights it's like the music is muted, even though its volume is quite high. Nowhere near DS 3's soundtrack which lifted boss fights to a new level of epicness.

I'm really disappointed with Yuka Kitamura after her amazing work on Bloodborne and DS 3.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Finished my first playthrough, evil ending. I'm pretty sure I'm missing an entire area, but I'm already on my second run.

This game is p. sweet, not gonna lie.

Sentinel

Arcane
How is the soundtrack great..? For me it's the most unremarkable and unnoticeable music that From Software has put in their games. I cannot remember a single song. During boss fights it's like the music is muted, even though its volume is quite high. Nowhere near DS 3's soundtrack which lifted boss fights to a new level of epicness.

I'm really disappointed with Yuka Kitamura after her amazing work on Bloodborne and DS 3.
I'm not surprised since I didn't really like any of her previous work, and the only amazing Bloodborne tracks weren't even composed by her, but the Headless track in Sekiro is fucking perfect and kinda spooky.

Sentinel

Arcane
fMjn6Oh.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Despite initial enthusiasm I am a bit bored with the game now, and I am not done yet. I am just at the point where the Ashina Idols lock. I haven't tried the next boss(es) nor am I stuck with anyone, but it all feels so aimless, even more so than Dark Souls. Now that there's nothing really left to explore, my drive to play has plummeted.

I can't really voice my problem with it too accurately. There's just something random about the story and the way idols and items are placed. It all feels queer and odd and I don't much like it.

Someone said earlier he didn't feel much when he beat the bosses. That's me right now. Like, I just killed the first big ape today and I felt no accomplishment after, despite learning reasonably how to avoid his attacks. Maybe it's because I have all these attack and health upgrades and 9 uses of the gourd? And now that deathblows heal me there's no real need to ever play carefully.

Edit: I also read I permanently missed the spear.

:despair:

Sentinel

Arcane
Kuro's Charm (remove it) + Bell

What an odd complaint though. Is it really that surprising that going through the same experience a 2nd time immediately after completing it doesn't give you the same feel and might even bore you? That's every single player game ever.

Also since you mentioned the story I'll share some cool things I found:
Sculptor, known as Orangutan back in his youth, was a rogue Shinobi. He trained with his companion, Kingfisher, in the forests along with the monkeys for many years. (He refers to Kingfisher as 'him' in his recollection, but both of the Kingfisher items refer to her being a woman, and the ring being meant for slim fingers).
Kingfisher at some point is slain by the Guardian Ape (And eaten), and Orangutan/Sculptor attempted to kill the ape in response. (The sword that is driven through its neck being evidence)

He then fights as a rogue shinobi for some time, before nearly giving in to the bloodlust of battle, when his left arm is severed by Isshin. Isshin then takes him on/recruits him as a shinobi, and Dogen, a friend of Isshin, makes the prosthetic arm for Sculptor to use. At some point, on some battlefield, Sculptor comes across a young, starving Emma, and offers her food. She follows along, later gets adopted by Dogen, gets taught medicine, etc.

Isshin is Tengu, the guy that is killing rats and teaches you some techniques. They are the only NPCs to call you "Sekiro", the PC realizes this and gasps when Isshin calls him Sekiro; Isshin has Tengu's clothes in his room; gives you the exact same art Tengu gives; they have the same voice

The scientist in the Abandoned Dungeon and his "mentor" are one and the same.

Last edited:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Isshin is Tengu, the guy that is killing rats and teaches you some techniques. They are the only NPCs to call you "Sekiro", the PC realizes this and gasps when Isshin calls him Sekiro; Isshin has Tengu's clothes in his room; gives you the exact same art Tengu gives; they have the same voice

Child of Malkav

Erudite
There's another headless I just found after going to undershrine valley, turn back, up the hill, grapple on a ledge where there are 2 guys with guns, jump up the wall, shimmy, drop down, run past the enemies and the pyramid like structures and jump in the water, dive and exit on the other side.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If anyone is finding the Headless tough just don't bother. They don't give any beads, just infinite-use versions of the sugars which are completely useless anyway, except the stealth sugar.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
5siDKcy.jpg

The enemy pattern design is such a cluster fuck in this game. You'd think engaging a GUN USER in melee would be better right? Well no. This thing killed me more than any of the real bosses and I only came back to it after killing Genichiro. I started randomly playing like in a souls game and realized this thing poses no threat whatsoever if you are always at a distance and just keep block mashed real hard while stepping backwards to avoid melee range, at which point I selected the spear and just spammed spear attack + sword close the gap thingy and heals without a care in the world and promptly ate its fucking face filled with a crazy amount of health and posture for what is supposed to be a random leading runt.

Despite being nothing more than a tiny humanoid this thing does more posture damage to you on the slightest of parry mistiming than many, many other things in the game. And god, does it hit hard when you slip up.

Every fight in this game feels like a dumb puzzle that bangs your head on a wall but becomes trivial once you understand what makes the thing's AI break.

Might end up finishing the game at some point, but this will be the first From software game whose optional content I'll mostly avoid. I don't feel enthused by much in this. The best moments are the samurai style boss fights, I really enjoyed Genichiro. I don't enjoy when I encounter mini bosses surrounded by adds though. And things like the bull can eat dick.

Sentinel

Arcane
5siDKcy.jpg

The enemy pattern design is such a cluster fuck in this game. You'd think engaging a GUN USER in melee would be better right? Well no. This thing killed me more than any of the real bosses and I only came back to it after killing Genichiro. I started randomly playing like in a souls game and realized this thing poses no threat whatsoever if you are always at a distance and just keep block mashed real hard while stepping backwards to avoid melee range, at which point I selected the spear and just spammed spear attack + sword close the gap thingy and heals without a care in the world and promptly ate its fucking face filled with a crazy amount of health and posture for what is supposed to be a random leading runt.

Despite being nothing more than a tiny humanoid this thing does more posture damage to you on the slightest of parry mistiming than many, many other things in the game. And god, does it hit hard when you slip up.

Every fight in this game feels like a dumb puzzle that bangs your head on a wall but becomes trivial once you understand what makes the thing's AI break.

Might end up finishing the game at some point, but this will be the first From software game whose optional content I'll mostly avoid. I don't feel enthused by much in this. The best moments are the samurai style boss fights, I really enjoyed Genichiro. I don't enjoy when I encounter mini bosses surrounded by adds though. And things like the bull can eat dick.
You must be clinically retarded or something. She's extremely weak to poison. There's an entire poison swamp right next to you. Do the math.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You must be clinically retarded or something. She's extremely weak to poison. There's an entire poison swamp right next to you. Do the math.

I'd sooner commit suicide than resort to that even worse kind of cheese you subhuman waste.
Were you the guy who pelted the capra demon with feces in DS1 and thought thisisfine?

Sentinel

Arcane

I'd sooner commit suicide than resort to that even worse kind of cheese you subhuman waste.
Were you the guy who pelted the capra demon with feces in DS1 and thought thisisfine?
How is that a cheese? Just fight her in the swamp

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

If blocking/deflecting blows gives you tons of posture damage anyways and knocks you back/leaves you slightly stunned even if you aren't posture broken, then it's a blow that's better off being dodged than parried
The giant swings from the Ogres you face earlier on should be more of a testament to this

Steezus

Savant
Patron
It all comes back to people thinking they understand all the intricacies of the combat, when in reality they just get the basics.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You must be clinically retarded or something. She's extremely weak to poison.

That might be but she's definitely one of the hardest mobs in the game. I'm watching speedruns now and she isn't a steamroll affair even for speedrunners.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom