Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The final boss during his second phase

e4f.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wait I don't get any more beads on NG+? Mini-bosses only give money now?

B-but I got only 19 VIT (plus one bead) and max is 20. I'm missing 3 beads and I'm p. sure I've killed everything, including all the the sneaky late game mini-bosses.

Ivan

Arcane

B-but I got only 19 VIT (plus one bead) and max is 20. I'm missing 3 beads and I'm p. sure I've killed everything, including all the the sneaky late game mini-bosses.
raw

Nathir

Liturgist

There is one behind a hidden wall in Hirata estate. And one underwater in the senpou monk village in the hands of a buddha statue.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Finished the game after 64 hours.
It's an amazing game. BUT......there are things that drag it back, in particular, 2 boss fights: Genichiro and Isshin.
Let me explain.
1. Genichiro. Good fight, sword to sword, 1 on 1, beautiful dance of blades and sparks, except for the moments, which are quite numerous, when Genichiro pulls out that bow and shoots, not from a distance mind you, no no no, from up close, like literally he runs up to you, sword in hand, you blast you in the face with bow. I don't even....Well, ignoring the retarded anime he does when he starts floating in the air to shoot 6 arrows. Anyway, eventually you learn when to expect such levels of retardation and to block/deflect/dodge them but these alone are responsible for a lot of unnecessary damage, which lead to death or extra usage of limited resources, which in turn postponed the demise of the boss. At some point, you get to kill him. And yet another surprise, he goes full retard, a third health bar (not calling them phases). Oh but it doesn't stop there. Now they add another rule to the fight called lightning reversal which is some anime level retardation that requires you to redirect lightning back to the enemy. I didn't get it at first, or exactly how to do it, but finally I killed him. That rule, mechanic wasn't required nor welcomed.

2. The final fight, Isshin. Well technically, 2 bosses since you fight Genichiro again in order for him to show his new toy and boy does he try. Isshin himself is pretty good, 1 on 1, blades crossed until.....well he starts pulling out of his ass.....no, not a bow, but a pistol. Of course, couldn't expect anything less. 1st health bar goes meh. 2nd health bar he pulls out (of his ass yet again) a huge spear. Now the bullshit begins. Since his AI is coded to be aggressive I lost count of how many inconsistencies I noticed: my attacks miss him even though I stayed locked on, his attacks miss me even though they should have hit, the stupid terrain with varying degrees of heights which leads to the boss literally hitting you through the ground, the high vegetation preventing you from seeing some of the attacks, especially the pistol ones, all these on top of him using magic because why the fuck not. Whatever after so e time I get to the last health bar. Now he has lightning. Well, yet again, spammage of bullets, combat arts (another name for magic, at least for the bosses), movement so fast it might as well be teleportation, gap closers, relentless attacks, just bullshit all around. I got to point where he harmed, even killed me only by using the gun, lightning, teleportation, combat....magic.
They would have been dropped way sooner if they didn't have those cheap tricks.

The only thing keeping me from starting NG+ is the thought of having to confront these two assholes again.
Another issue with this game is that the sword you wield has very little reach, you really need to be touching the enemy for that sword to hit (I'm exaggerating a bit, but not really). Lost count of how many times I whiffed with the sword simply because I was probably a few pixels away from the enemy. Whatever, a small complaint, nowhere near close the display of bullshit from those two bosses.
Overall, very good game, but you need a high tolerance to bullshit.
Btw, the Divine Dragon fight was stupid, fucking thing didn't even look like one.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
- Stealthy got first health bar from Snake Eyes in Sunken Valley.
- Kill him like a boss hitting him and throwing off the cliff.
- Think I have avenged years of fall dying in souls games. "Snake Eyes, more like Snake falls. what a loser,git gud XD"
:martini:
- Got back to bonfire to replenish.
- Come back. He is alive.

:rpgcodex:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Snake Eyes was the only thing I used the hit-and-run tactic against. I just couldn't even, especially in the Gun Fort. On NG+ I'll try poison.

Btw playing NG+ now and the katana general right after the Ogre is NOT easy! I'm pretty reasonable with the game now and he was kicking my ass. Needed 3 tries at him. The posture damage bosses do on NG+ is pretty chunky and he has like 10 hit combo followed by a grab lol.

Everything else went down first try so far. The horse was a complete walkover and even the bull was fine. To think I needed like 15 runs on him before.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sunkey Valley sniper segment is pretty sick. If you thought Anor Londo Archers were cheap, you are in for a ride.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The centipede miniboss in the tiny room only has one viable strategy to beat him I think. Oil, fire, hit him a couple tiems while stunned and deflect all the hits in his combo because hos posture damage is increased in that burning state, deathblow. Repeat.

The camera in that room is atrocius and the space very insufficient to have any kind of intelligent fight. Also the enemy have a very retarded design.

Cromwell

Arcane
The centipede miniboss in the tiny room only has one viable strategy to beat him I think. Oil, fire, hit him a couple tiems while stunned and deflect all the hits in his combo because hos posture damage is increased in that burning state, deathblow. Repeat.

The camera in that room is atrocius and the space very insufficient to have any kind of intelligent fight. Also the enemy have a very retarded design.

or deflect him until he dies because he has a gazillionhit combo. dont forget tto not get grabbed while youre at it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I barely noticed they were there tbh.

Also that centipede was really easy, he kills himself from posture damage if you deflect.

Dyskolos

Cipher
How many people who've finished it are playing it again - either ng+ or fresh start? I've gotten over most of my design complaints but this is the first From game in forever that I just have no urge to immediately replay.

Sentinel

Arcane
I'm grabbing all the endings and dropping it just like the Souls games.

Meanwhile, praying for Tomoe DLC focused on Lightning Reversal swag.

Gentlemen, help me out. How does one actually git gud at this game? I defeated Genichiro after several dozen tries, but I don't feel like I learned much in the process. My performance was very uneven; I was just spamming R1/R2 and jumping as appropriate. Most of the time I couldn't keep track whether I was parrying or blocking. I can envision a harder version of the fight where you're punished for not deflecting properly, and I'd never be able to get through that.

Hassar

Scholar
I'm grabbing all the endings and dropping it just like the Souls games.

Meanwhile, praying for Tomoe DLC focused on Lightning Reversal swag.

Funny thing is I did the exact opposite with Souls. I would sink hundreds of hours into building my perfect characters and ignore the barely there NPCs & endings for the most part. I liked co-op since I’d be one of the few characters with the area of effect healing miracles.

But I can see one-and-done-omg Sekiro.

It’s downloading/installing now so I’ll see how I feel in a few hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom