Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The most surprising number Sweeney shared, though, is that fully half of all Fortnite players on PC had never used Steam before.
This means that these players are not paying gamers. They are on the Fortnite bandwagon because it is free. Good luck turning them to a paying customer on the Epic Store.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The most surprising number Sweeney shared, though, is that fully half of all Fortnite players on PC had never used Steam before.
This means that these players are not paying gamers. They are on the Fortnite bandwagon because it is free. Good luck turning them to a paying customer on the Epic Store.
It's a bullshit statistic anyway. What the fuck is a fully half, it's either full or half.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Why would the cut even matter if they're going to lower the price so devs still get the same amount of money?
They probably could sell more copies (as there could be many more people willing to pay $50 on release than those willing to pay $60, for example) and thus get more profit. Maybe.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

There's this concept that exposure always leads to new customers, rather than people adding future torrent ideas to a notepad on their phone. Not sure I agree with this concept.

i could swear on your mother's grave that on the internet there was plenty of articles stating that after closing napster the usa singles market dropped 14% and after audiogalaxy the chinese one almost disappeared (i remember a monstruous 90% but it just can't be true, can it?).

Astral Rag

Arcane
:what:

Ubisoft Launcher or Epic Launcher, which is worse and why? DISCUSS^!!

Not that it really matters in this case since you'll probably need to install both for that game.

Dexter

Arcane

LOL

If anyone was wondering how far they'd take their shilling and how trustworthy the numbers they're throwing around as a PR exercise are: http://archive.is/432bS
"We've brought in close to half a billion dollars so far in gross, and out of that half a billion dollars of gross, 88% of that has gone back to developers," Stelzer said. "So we really believe this is something consumers will get enjoyment out of from the highest quality of games, but at the same time, it's really a great system for developers and a great way for them to see more of the money from their hard work."

Update 03/29/19: After the publication of this article, an Epic representative reached out to say that Stelzer was mistaken.

"We misspoke at the GamesIndustry.biz PAX East Investment Summit and the number being reported is not accurate," the representative said. "While we aren't sharing revenue numbers, the store is off to a strong start, and we're excited about the opportunities for developers and players in the coming year." End update

Ismail (left) asked questions of Galyonkin (center) and Stelzer (right)

Btw. if you're not an Epic shill and aren't willing to readily eat out their asshole, you're part of "the mob", also not sure how well Rami took the comment about making crappy games :lol::
"I think if you get too sucked into what the mob is saying, then you'll always have some sort of analysis paralysis," Stelzer said.

Galyonkin added that developers should "distinguish between the community and the mob," saying that they are often different people. He noted that Metro Exodus owners were quite happy with their experiences judging by the lack of refund requests. He also said that while the game did well on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One compared to the previous Metro launch on consoles, the title-over-title jump was not as pronounced as it was on PC.

Finally, Ismail asked about what independent developers can do to help their chances of passing Epic's curation process. Stelzer's answer suggested they shouldn't be thinking about what Epic wants to see in a game.

"You never want to make the game with the target of a platform in mind," Stelzer said. "You want to make the best quality game you can make. Indie developer, AAA, and everything in between, you should always be true to yourself, thinking about the quality of what you're making, and are you staying true to your vision? The cream always rises to the top at the end of the day. If you make a crappy game, then there are places where you can put crappy games."

Last edited:
Christ. They're unintentionally making Valve look good. I guess it boils down to if the "Mob" are insulted by that bullshit or if they don't give a shit and never even hear it. Never even hear it is most likely when Epic can say one thing emphatically then go "lol wupz XD pls ignore lol... us gamers am i rite?" after the fact.

Jezal_k23

I think the Epic store is a bit too focused on pleasing publishers rather than consumers. It also doesn't seem like they have thought much about the store in the long term. Straight out paying publishers for exclusivity, plus the 88% revenue share doesn't seem like a self sustaining strategy. They just throw money at everything. It doesn't feel like they are earning loyalty from their users, a dedicated fanbase. I assume, like someone else has said, that they have an user base of Fortnite players, not necessarily Epic store customers. And what percentage of these players are kids? Jesus, how many play Fortnite on mobile devices? Basically I think that beneath the surface they are not as strong as they seem, but I'm probably biased against them, so I have no idea really.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's pretty fucking incredible how times change. Although I've not done it in about 10 years, I now feel happier installing a decent torrent client and pirating an Epic exclusive than I do installing that Epic store spyware on my PC. Congratulations Epic, I think worse of your store than I do TPB.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think the Epic store is a bit too focused on pleasing publishers rather than consumers. It also doesn't seem like they have thought much about the store in the long term. Straight out paying publishers for exclusivity, plus the 88% revenue share doesn't seem like a self sustaining strategy. They just throw money at everything. It doesn't feel like they are earning loyalty from their users, a dedicated fanbase. I assume, like someone else has said, that they have an user base of Fortnite players, not necessarily Epic store customers. And what percentage of these players are kids? Jesus, how many play Fortnite on mobile devices? Basically I think that beneath the surface they are not as strong as they seem, but I'm probably biased against them, so I have no idea really.

Don't really disagree about them being consumer friendly, but consumers are pathetic enforcers of their rights and interests -- high quality exclusives at or near launch will give consumers the sense they are getting access to something fancy and valuable when they download the app.

It's worked for Nintendo for decades (also not a consumer friendly company).

as usual, the rest of the world pays because usa are cheap.

Sure, on everything except military equipment, tourism, pharmaceuticals, and medical technology.

Last edited:
bb8.png

GrainWetski

Arcane
I guess the increase in uPlay users with TD2 was a huge success. :lol:
Ubisoft has nothing to lose really. Epic's literally paying them to put people on their store.

PC Gamer is desperately trying to make people buy it on Epic's store instead of Uplay. Why anyone would, I have no idea.

https://www.pcgamer.com/anno-1800-w...t-can-be-pre-purchased-on-steam-until-launch/
Anno 1800 is now available for pre-purchase on Epic as well as Steam (and Uplay, if that's your thing), at the same price and with the same preorder bonuses. A pre-release open beta will run April 12-14, and will be available through either Epic or Uplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom