Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

edgy, violent games (mostly shooters)

Martyr

Arcane
I'm looking for dark, edgy games = games that feature over the top graphical violence as a central theme

here is a list of the ones that I've played. anything else?

Manhunt (2003, Rockstar Games) - third person stealth
0000003326.600x338-800x500.jpg

Postal 2 (2003, Running With Scissors) - first person shooter
06_72.jpg

Shellshock: Nam '67 (2004, Guerilla Games) - third person shooter
602162-919860_20040916_003.jpg

Condemned: Criminal Origins (2005, Monolith) - first person shooter
condemned_5.jpg

Manhunt 2 (2007, Rockstar Games) - third person stealth
maxresdefault.jpg

Condemned 2: Bloodshot (2008, Monolith) - first person shooter
861202-939452_20080318_001.jpg

Shellshock 2: Blood Trails (2009, Rebellion) - first person shooter
shellshock-2-blood-trails-10_1981331.jpg

Hatred (2015, Destructive Creations) - isometric shooter
3bc1a9894e67af076374b51c5c564d2f_hatred.jpg

these are a bit less edgy/violent:

Postal (1997, Running With Scissors) - isometric shooter
DLZW4TjhMJL2M3QcYo8YA8.jpg

Blood (1997, Monolith) - first person shooter
92671-Blood_(1997)(Monolith)-5.jpeg

Blood 2: The Chosen (1998, Monolith) - first person shooter
x5ivblehnftpy5grtvzq.jpg

The Punisher (2004, Volition) - third person shooter
marvel2.jpg

The Suffering (2004, Surreal Software) - third person shooter
TheSuffering-GOG-PCGAMES-01-pc-games_b2article_artwork.jpg

The Suffering: Ties That Bind (2005, Surreal Software) - third person shooter
maxresdefault.jpg

F.E.A.R. (2005, Monolith) - first person shooter
690741-920744_20051004_002.jpg

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin (2009, Monolith) - first person shooter
fear-2-project-origin-wallpaper-5.jpg

F.E.A.R. 3 (2011, Monolith) - first person shooter
1-Screenshot-of-F.E.A.R.-3.jpg

Postal 3 (2011, Running With Scissors) - third person shooter
ss_1717b1a9e68afe8d4bcad0e7ef824a242f414da8.1920x1080-1024.jpg

also shoutout to the "No Russian" level in

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009, Infinity Ward) - first person shooter
maxresdefault.jpg

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I have to disagree with putting Postal 2 as being more edgy than Postal. Sure it may have more graphic depictions of gore, but the comic tone is so exaggerated that it is hard to take any of it seriously. On the other hand the humor in Postal is very dry, and it comes across as more of an edgy, demented nightmare than the slapstick sequel.

290375-krotchy.jpg

vs.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Not really edgy imo but very violent and also just good games:

Syndicate and SWars

Crusader no remorse and no regret

Bioforge

Die by the sword

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
Kingpin! Also, Messiah.
Soldier of Fortune beats everything you listed.

STOP SCREAMING

I played all these but didn't add them on purpose. Kingpin almost made it into the list and tbh it might deserve it more than some of the other games I mentioned. it's just that I'm not too fond of the setting.
in fact Soldier of Fortune inspired me to create this thread (replaying it right now), I just think it isn't as violent as some of the other games. but that's subjective.

agentorange I agree that Postal's tone and atmosphere is darker and more edgy than Postal 2s. but as you said, P2 just has more graphic violence than P1.

Astral Rag the Syndicates and the Crusaders are good games, but imo not as brutal as the others. I've not played Bioforge.

Martyr

Arcane
Dead Space?

I just think it isn't as violent as some of the other games. but that's subjective.

Are you kidding? Soldier of Fortune 2 is gorier than Condemned, by far. You have bones poking out from wounds, limbs being torn off etc.

yeah, Dead Space could be included. but imo its edginess is limited by only fighting aliens.

as I've said, that's all subjective. and maybe I'm just influenced by Condemned's darker tone and atmosphere, I don't know. what I still remember about Condemned after all these years is the fight in which you tear out the metal jaw of some freak. SoF's violence is more down to earth compared to that.

Martyr

Arcane
I just remembered two more games for the "not as violent as others"-category:
- the Scarface video game, I think it was released somewhere between 2007-2010, too lazy to google. your kills got rated by the grade of their violence.
- Mob Enforcer, an early-/mid-2000s mafia-themed first person shooter. what made the game edgy was that you were playing as the guy who did the real life Valentine's Day Massacre in Chicago and as far as I can remember you were supposed to kill policemen and civilians.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Down to earth is probably not how I'd describe SoF 2. You're actually shooting people apart instead of it just being some shitty animation.

woZSnFY.jpg

afActPB.jpg

6e1vHST.jpg

7sBKOSA.jpg

Martyr

Arcane
yeah that looks pretty nice and is violent. SoF 1 and 2 (haven't played 3) definitely belong in this thread. it's just that they didn't make it into my personal list.

this thread is for listing all the edgy games there are. it's not meant for discussing "game A shows more violence than game B !!" since discussions like that are always highly subjebctive.

but in the end you're right: SoF 1 & 2 should have made it into my list. as I've said, SoF inspired me to create this thread and it's certainly more gruesome than the likes of F.E.A.R. and The Suffering.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Dusk?

Do mods count? There's a brutal one for half life called brutal half life.

Vityaz

Augur
Maybe not edgy but would Red Orchestra 2 count? It has a pretty reasonable damage model where you can shoot off limbs (body parts in general), get obliterated by an explosion or literally cut in half if you're unlucky and someone shoots you with an Anti-Tank rifle.

NpIEofh.jpg

It also has some pretty legit audio work regarding death sounds (gurgling, choking on blood, crying etc.), which I think is pretty important too IMHO.

Martyr

Arcane
deama & Vityaz sure, why not?
no matter if it's a mod or a full game, just mention everything that (in your opinion) features extreme graphic violence.

also shoutout to
Aleshar - World of Ice
a late 90s indie turn based RPG.
105549-AlesharWorldofIce.jpg

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
I'm looking for dark, edgy games = games that feature over the top graphical violence as a central theme

BAN THIS SICK FILTH

No one's mentioned Carmageddon yet? Shocking. The recent remake is pretty good fun, but I don't believe it can top the original in all its silly spritey glory. As far as edgelords goes, it's probably hard to beat Brutal Doom, which is packed to the brim with near-unlimited and constantly increasing tryhard egdiness. There's also Killing Floor 2, which is has lots of over-the-top gore (surprise!), but isn't as fun as the original.

Martyr

Arcane

BAN THIS SICK FILTH

No one's mentioned Carmageddon yet? Shocking. The recent remake is pretty good fun, but I don't believe it can top the original in all its silly spritey glory. As far as edgelords goes, it's probably hard to beat Brutal Doom, which is packed to the brim with near-unlimited and constantly increasing tryhard egdiness. There's also Killing Floor 2, which is has lots of over-the-top gore (surprise!), but isn't as fun as the original.

I also thought of adding Carmageddon and Brutal Doom to the OP, but didn't because reasons. guess I was mostly fixated on pseudo-realistic shooters, so only a few exceptions got through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom