Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Pegultagol

Erudite
Gunplay is ok, but a lot of particle effects make the action seem more frenetic and hide deficiencies like enemies standing still, not taking cover, etc. Some of the things noted in the first demo videos released on the game. NPCs just take cover while being beaten to death and not even attempt to run? Action and explosions merely a few yards away and the other guards and civilians don't even take notice and go about their business as usual.

Looks like Steam release in 2020 is a blessing in disguise because the game looks just not competent enough even for an alpha.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Action and explosions merely a few yards away and the other guards and civilians don't even take notice and go about their business as usual.

I noticed that. I thought it might be a deliberate design choice to let players aggro more freely without always lighting up the entire city.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I noticed that. I thought it might be a deliberate design choice to let players aggro more freely without always lighting up the entire city.

True, and that could be due to the closed nature of the area unlike, say, in New Vegas where the reaction was pretty much instant and universal. There is some reputation system in the game so it is possible they didn't enable it to segment the demonstration showing different weapons and the like.

Still, from what they showed so far, seems likely what you see is what you'll get. Disappointed no one asked them on that in the Q&A period.

Fairfax

Arcane
fUf2pfU.png

Just 'Good' and a triangle?

Deleted Member 16721

Look at all the skills governed by Strength alone. If every Attribute has as many Skills associated with it, that is huge incline.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Just 'Good' and a triangle?

I have a bigger question.

WHAT THE FUCK DOES THE TRIANGLE EVEN MEAN?

Also combined with this

I have no fucking idea anymore.

Honestly WTF.

Edit: Ah, yes. Don't get me fucking started on why both the flaw system and dialouge uses numbers for attributes when the charachter sheet doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 16721

Skills, Abilities, Aptitudes, Status Effects, Perks, Derived Stats, Behaviors, Flaws, Attributes... if you still want to hate and think this game will suck you have a surprise coming. The character system seems like it will be just as good if not better than Arcanum's and still as nerdy. TIMNARD are delivering the goods, be joyful and grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Combat looks kind of stiff. Like Gamebryo level stiff.

Yeah, I thought the combat was like that because of the limitation of the engine at the time, but then they go and make the combat like that again in a brand new engine that do support better fps-mechanics...

Duraframe300

Arcane
Skills, Abilities, Perks, Derived Stats, Behaviors, Flaws... if you still want to hate and think this game will suck you have a surprise coming. The character system seems like it will be just as good if not better than Arcanum's and still as nerdy. TIMNARD are delivering the goods, be joyful and grateful.

I don't actually fear that the charachter sheet doesn't have depth. I trust Leonard and Tim on that.
But, ATM it just looks like a incomprehensible mess.

Deleted Member 16721

Fuck the FPS mechanics, they will be solid enough and don't have to be Gears of Outer Wars to be good enough. Stop worrying about cosmetics and focus on the meat of the game. Choice & Consequence, companions, all those juicy character stats, branching dialogues, kill every NPC and game still continues and on and on. The gunplay will be fine, what are you expecting an AA CRPG to have honestly?

Deleted Member 16721

I don't actually fear that the charachter sheet doesn't have depth. ATM it just looks like a incomprehensible mess.

I don't see it as a mess, just take your time and look at each section. Granted we don't know what a lot of the stuff means, but it will be explained in the game and we'll all be smart enough to understand it when the game is in our hands.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think that green triangle is meant to be one of the famous geometric shapes from character creation. It's just a symbol for "good" - a green arrow pointing up. If it was "bad" it would be a red arrow pointing down. It's also used for the bonuses in the right panel.

We have not yet seen the geometric shapes.

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Let us all bound together, hold hands and form a circle triangle in hope that amount of [Wip], [Stub] and [INVALLID]
[INVALLID]
[INVALLID]
in UI should hint at UI still very much being under contruction and capable of saving

Can someone use pizza to lure Tim out of any meeting room concerned with UI for an increase of +75% of chance UI being Good in the end and use same technic with Leonard when it comes to making decisions on keeping or cutting weird but cool features like cut ability to grow addiction to lying in dialogue where all other dialogue options except [Lie] would be grayed out

We need to help them out cancel eatch other's flaws for a flawless RPG this to be. Dispatch Codex pizza agent

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Combat looks kind of stiff. Like Gamebryo level stiff.

Yeah, I thought the combat was like that because of the limitation of the engine at the time, but then they go and make the combat like that again in a brand new engine that do support better fps-mechanics...
To me it looks like it is played with a controller by somebody that doesn't use one often.

Only three skills does seem like an epic decline to me.

Deleted Member 16721

Only three skills does seem like an epic decline to me.

Those are just Felix's skills and it's all a work in progress. If you like at the Strength category it has several skills associated with it. The game will have a ton of skills.

Deleted Member 16721

Even Block is a skill, which tells me there's going to possibly be Morrowind levels of amount of skills. If Strength is any indicator, each Attribute will have several skills associated with it, which could mean a lot of skills overall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom