Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

RapineDel

Augur
If you can comfortably make it to phase 3, the key is to change your play style and be far more defensive which can feel like doing a 180 but is necessary if you want to avoid too much damage. In this phase you want to bait out the big jump attack he does and the attack which ends with a thrust so you can mikami counter (honestly, mikami countering him is very easy since you're waiting for a long attack to finish, just make sure you press the button while not pressing on any of the analogue sticks and wait until the thrust attack is actually happening, don't just press it as soon as the "red" thing appears).

If you block the jump attack, I found that 50% of the time he'd follow up with a one of thrust which you could mikami counter, these are the best sources for doing posture damage, just ensure you're also getting a hit into his health bar when you do because you want to wear down his health where you can so that playing defensively works, if you dont' do this you'll be at it a while because high health means his posture will recover quicker.

He will pretty always do the jumping overhead attack if there is enough distance between you. You can deflect it but you can also dodge behind him an get two attacks on his back which might be more effective.

For sure, I just find if someone's struggling though blocking the jumping attack and getting in extra posture damage can help. If you're not the best with timing and are late on the jump attack you'll lose half health which can be a pain when you then need to worry about healing.

I agree though that dodging and getting in the attacks is the quickest/most effective method if you know what you're doing.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's also bizarre that From Software games are known for NG+ but most of them don't do anything with the concept except increasing enemy stats

Yeah, it's such a missed opportunity coz it's a smart, low-cost way to extend the content. There must be some sort of stupid, overthought philosophical attitude Miyazaki has, like "players should experience the game again without any changes because it's the zen thing to do".

FUCK YOUR ZEN, IT'S BORING!!!1! :argh:

panda

Savant
The second example is the Snake Eyes grab. It's the only one you can deflect but the timing on that is so extremely finicky I suspect it might be a bug. Otherwise it IS slow but again, if she decides to pull it off while you're not in an ideal position she will get you. Again, an issue in the small space in the Gun Fort.
It is super easy to block her grab with the umbrella. Makes this fight way more simpler.
You can also block monkey's jump grab with it.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I think the game teaches that you should avoid grabs by dodging but I always avoid them by just jumping backwards and it seems to work much better?

Cromwell

Arcane
I read that you can remain in your game instead of switching to ng+ is it possible to get 2 endings?

go to hirata fight the final boss, after beating him remain in the game probably before beating him and then go back and do another ending. Or is the boss dead even if you remain and the ending locked in?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
For bosses and mini bosses that inflict terror, am I supposed to farm 100g for a pacifying agent for every boss try? If that's the case, that's madness.

Wunderbar

Arcane
For bosses and mini bosses that inflict terror, am I supposed to farm 100g for a pacifying agent for every boss try? If that's the case, that's madness.
you can buy purple gourd for 1800 sen from memorial mob merchant, it heals terror and refills at bonfire.

Wunderbar

Arcane
you can buy purple gourd for 1800 sen from memorial mob merchant, it heals terror and refills at bonfire.
What location is that? I never met anyone like that.
it's in Mibu village, pretty late into the game. Just ignore terror enemies until you get there.

Nathir

Liturgist
Wait what, you got Shura ending? Then you probably missed the final area

Yes, I chose to be loyal to my master, and Miyazaki rewards me with missing an entire area.

This is the problem of going almost blind for the first time, But I don't regret.

I did the same. It just felt like what the character would do, only for you to inexplicably turn evil at the end and kill everyone including Owl. Currently on NG+ right before you make the decision. After I killed Lady Butterfly there is a cutscene where you get stabbed by a sword. I didn't realize this on the first playthrough, but now I am certain Owl stabs you. Why? He clearly expects you to side with him at Ashina castle, why stab Wolf at Hirata? What even happened at Hirata estate and why are you fighting Lady Butterfly? I am so confused about the story.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You fight her because Owl and Butterfly are betraying Hirata to seize the Heir for their own purposes. You realize something is up when you kill Lady but don't know your dad is in on it because you think he died. He kills you because he figured you figured it out from having to fight Lady. He is surprised to see you are alive when you meet at the castle, saying he was sure you were dead. Of course, since you were stabbed, you didn't realize it was him and Owl realizes you don't know/remember he betrayed you and then proceeds to, like with other NPC, play on your ignorance.

That's how I read it.

Sentinel

Arcane
Also, since you're alive, Owl probably deduces the Heir saved you and gave you immortality. At that point his only recourse is to try and convince you to join him.

Nathir

Liturgist
That's how I understood it too, I just find it wierd how he expects you to team up with him after faking his death and being obviously after the heir, while in the past he just stabs you. Also why are you even imprisoned at start for that matter? Wasn't Wolf protecting the heir?

Cromwell

Arcane
I just find it wierd how he expects you to team up with him after faking his death and being obviously after the heir

because "listen to everything your father says" is technically the rule that overrides "protect the heir"

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw how many of you figured out the trick with Armored Warrior, without watching or reading any press events or previews?

l tried killing him several times, burning him throwing ash at him, confettiing him... Then I ran around the world talking to everyone but found no hint. Finally I had to read a guide. It would NEVER occur to me you have to do the trick coz that's never a thing anywhere else in the game. Eh.

Cromwell

Arcane
Btw how many of you figured out the trick with Armored Warrior, without watching or reading any press events or previews?

l tried killing him several times, burning him throwing ash at him, confettiing him... Then I ran around the world talking to everyone but found no hint. Finally I had to read a guide. It would NEVER occur to me you have to do the trick coz that's never a thing anywhere else in the game. Eh.

I looked it up because after getting told he is not killable by normal means my next idea would have been to set his armor on fire and cook the fucker in it. Since the bosses are hard enough as it is I didnt want to spend time dying, running back and try whatever comes to mind just to see that I was wrong again. Either make bosses killable by normal means or give hints. Him destroying the bridge walls probably was the hint.

Sentinel

Arcane
As soon as I noticed the sides being destroyed and I stabbed him twice and he kept getting up. I noticed the death animation had Sekiro push him and connected the dots.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I did figure it out on my own after I noticed I couldn't deathblow him and his attacks started destroying walls.

However, I had to look up how to kill the Giant Snake or how to kill undead enemies :negative:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As soon as I noticed the sides being destroyed and I stabbed him twice and he kept getting up. I noticed the death animation had Sekiro push him and connected the dots.

Problem is bosses trash shit in other fights in this game too, like Gyoubu or the bull. This was not a hint for me.

As for the animation I thought nothing of it since every boss has some special deathblow animation, separate from the regular mobs. Plus I was unlucky to kill him twice in the middle of the bridge. Oh well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom